I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Jason.H

Visit site
I played Holinwell during the winter when our course was closed due to rain and it was bone dry there. Also played Coxmoor recently and that was good too.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday lost quarter final of over 55s ko. Giving 3 shots to a good match player…I three putted twice in front 9 to contribute to 3 down at turn. No matter…I had played to my handicap so all not lost…though giving two shots on back nine and he wasn’t making mistakes didn’t bode well.

But playing some good golf got it back to 1 down by 17th. Tough par 4 into the by now strong wind, with him bunkered off tee and me well down middle of fairway. He simply gets out of bunker - door open for me. But against the wind I try and manipulate things (BIIIIG mistake) to hit a low punchy shot and I shank it into deep horrid stuff. In the end we half in double bogey 6s. A half on the last sees me losing 1dwn.

Ah well…still…only dropped two on the back nine and the double on 17 accounts for that. So for the round overall three under my PH of 9 - so didn’t let myself down … that much.

Am I bothered? A wee bit I have to say, but I move on to the next quarter final for the bigger prize - the main singles hcap ko I’ll play in the next few weeks.

Golf eh!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Right up there with the Surrey Ws etc.... so friendly.

Had a chat with Des Walker in the Pro Shop too.
Did you get the ‘visitors welcome’ from an older fella in the clubhouse? when I played there last year (with my club head pro) the ‘welcomer’ spotted we were visitors and introduced us to the club, bit of history, where to go in clubhouse for changing, food etc. Lovely touch. And the course is indeed fab (it inspired me to a halved match getting 9 shots against my playing companion).

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A medal today, I had a strange round, I was very erratic, a mixture of nice shots and rubbish, even on the greens I holed 4 nice putts but twice 3 putted from no distance. I had 4 or 5 on 16 of the holes, on the other two I found penatly areas and then bunkers and ended up with triple bogies on both. A better forgatten round of 89 net 79

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterdays game was interesting in that I putted very poorly but generally played pretty well, I even managed a couple of birdies!
The big thing is, and remember that everything is relative, that my HI actually came down!
It went from a very poor 18.4 to a slightly less poor 17.7 .......................... which is a bit of a bonus.
First time it's come down for I don't know how long.

D

Deleted member 1147

I played the 2 round Open at Hollinwell & Alwoodley.
My pair scores were 39 & 36.
We'd both played Hollinwell a few times so knew the misses etc. Happily I shot 36 points on my own, with a 2 under back 9 (and the obligatory blob). Didn't know Alwoodley before so occasionally found myself in the wrong spot on greens, leading to treacherous putts (they were in no way subtle breaks to me) The 2 iron came into it's own around there with the fast & firm fairways, though I found a couple of bunkers I thought I'd lay up short of. This lead to 30 points, which was particularly disappointing as I was on 18 after 9.

2 cracking tracks though, and I'd love to get back up to Leeds for another crack at it.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a singles competition at Rossendale today, I mostly played well, however I had two 8s the first caused by a topped wood into a ditch, the 2nd more annoying as I was pin high but off the green in 3 on a par 5, a poor chip meant the par was looking unlikey but for some reason I hit a 20 foot putt about 5 feet past ans missed the return, annyed I went to backhand the ball into the hole and missed, so I ended up with a 86 nett 76 which will in be one of my best 8 so I will be getting a tiny cut.
So in sucessive days I have ruined my card with 2 horrendous holes, I had a nice day though.

Visit site
Played Beamish Park today, shooting 82 (11+),my second best ever score since returning to this wonderful game in January 2022. 2 birdies, missed a hole in one by 18 inches and generally some very good golf. Then the missus announces that we are off to Scotland next week, staying at a lodge within the grounds of Piperdam golf course and I can take my clubs! Quite a day.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Little friendly match at my place with some friends. I was driving the ball unbelievably well, putting fairly well, but I was pulling irons and hybrid and chipping was super poor.

Only had 11 points after 9, rallied to get to 29 overall. Pretty happy with that considering.

Used the same ball from my previous two rounds and I eventually lost it on the tee shot on 17th so it lasted 52 holes, pretty impressed with that.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hickory march today, we won our match 4 and 2 but lost overall.

I made two 2s, one of which was one of those tee shots that look as though it's going in but stops on the edge. When we got to the green though it was a good 18 inches away.

(And for anyone who read my post in the "I bought today" thread, it was with the John Letters mashie niblick I'd worked on!)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just done a two-day trip with some friends to Meon Valley in Southampton/Hampshire.

First round I played fairly well tee to green but putting, it wasn't just bad, it was actually embarrassing. I literally just could not get the ball in the hole, 3 feet, 2 feet, it didn't matter, it was not going in. 3-putted five times. Ended up with 30 points which put me in 5th place of 6 people, only ahead of my wife who managed 28 points. The highlight of this round came on the 17th, where I pulled my drive well left into a tree, took two hacks to get it out of the cabbage - smashed a 7 wood in anger about as pure as I'd ever hit the thing, leaving me 80 yards to the pin, over a large pond. Said to my mate "I need to get up and down so I'd better put this to 2 foot". Pulled 54° and hit it to about 10 inches for a tap-in and 1 point saved. 😆

Several alcoholic beverages later, about 4 hours of sleep and back on the tee at 9:24 this morning. Actually felt like I played a lot better today. Putting was less embarrassing, still didn't hole much but only the one three-putt this time. Despite feeling like I'd played a lot better, the score was in fact only 2 points better with 32. No blobs but a few too many 1-pointers and not enough pars.

My wife had a blinder this time and got 40 points to fire herself up to 3rd place. Luckily another mate who'd done 35 first day only managed 21 today so I was spared the wooden spoon. The winner was our famous 28-capper bandit who managed 42 & 34 to retain the trophy he won last year! I can't say I'm not disappointed with 5th but I obviously have far too many bandit friends. 2nd place managed 39 & 32 I believe. 4th place was 32 & 32.

I actually really enjoyed the course at Meon Valley. A lot of holes where driver wasn't the play, I hit plenty of 5 woods off the tee for position. Maybe a few too many right-to-left doglegs would be my only criticism as there was about 6 with only 2 going the other way as I recall - not great for us faders. But plenty of really interesting holes, no two holes the same, and the greens were in great nick as well. The food and bar staff were very good too. Impressive.

D

Deleted member 15344

Since changing ball to the Chrome Soft I have putter and short game has been poor , the feel and noise was a lot different so it was always going to take some time to adjust

Well Thursday I was shocking and multiple missed putts and just scrapped 29 points

Yesterday it seemed to start to click - 3 birdies and an eagle to be 1 under

This morning in the swindle decided to do a card - birdied 2 , 3 and 9 for a 3 under front 9 , birdied 12 then the heavens opened - thankfully after a 15 mins it faded away but bogeyed the 13th , finished with 5 straight pars for a 3 under 68

Hopefully will get me back to 1

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes match, quarter final this morning. I was absolutely knackered after my golf trip the last couple of days, basically straight out the car and wander down to the first - lucky my partner is teeing the odd numbers though. Will do a full write-up in the matchplay thread in a bit so look away now if you don't want it spoiled. 😄

We started the match on absolute fire and won the first six holes in a row (despite giving a shot on two of them), so it was a bit of a formality after that. Crumbled a bit on the 10th and 11th to go back to 3 up, but came through that and won 5 & 4 in the end. A nice quick match and through to the semi-finals!

My putting still wasn't that great, and I've started slicing the arse off my hybrid for some reason, but pretty solid game for me otherwise considering how tired I felt.

gopher99

Visit site
Since changing ball to the Chrome Soft I have putter and short game has been poor , the feel and noise was a lot different so it was always going to take some time to adjust

Well Thursday I was shocking and multiple missed putts and just scrapped 29 points

Yesterday it seemed to start to click - 3 birdies and an eagle to be 1 under

This morning in the swindle decided to do a card - birdied 2 , 3 and 9 for a 3 under front 9 , birdied 12 then the heavens opened - thankfully after a 15 mins it faded away but bogeyed the 13th , finished with 5 straight pars for a 3 under 68

Hopefully will get me back to 1

I am guessing you are using the LS still, I haven’t yet tried the LS out but have heard it’s clicky compared to the normal chrome soft or a tp5/ pro v1. I am interested to see what i make of it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am guessing you are using the LS still, I haven’t yet tried the LS out but have heard it’s clicky compared to the normal chrome soft or a tp5/ pro v1. I am interested to see what i make of it.

Yeah the LS and it’s certainly clicky - it’s not normally something I have ever noticed before

The ball certainly flies better in the air , getting a bit more height and certainly more distance - just needed to get used to it around the short game