I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First round of the club championships today. As is traditional, they had the greens cut down and running very fast. I three-putted ten times. Ten times. Shot 95 gross so nett 81. I only had one triple as well, the rest was just endless double bogeys - nine of them. I got two pars and they were on stroke index 1 and 2 - how does that work out? 44 putts in all. I just cannot believe it. That's an absolutely insane number of putts.

Ironically the TaylorMade Spider I ordered has just arrived so might as well chuck that in for tomorrow's round - which I'm still going to turn up for, not really sure why. It won't make any difference anyway - it just means I'm not bothered about practising with it first.
Round 2 today. Nothing amazing but still a thousand miles better than yesterday. Shot 87, with two shocker holes in that (a quad and a triple). Putting was chalk and cheese, only 33 putts and 1 three-putt compared to the 44 and 10 of yesterday. Silly game.

Driving today was exceptional, probably one of the best driving days I've ever had. My biggest problem was bunkers, went in three and took two to get out each time - total waste of three shots there. Finished absolutely nowhere in the comp of course, but just felt nice to look vaguely like a golfer again.

I don't think he posts here anymore for the time being, so I hope I'm not stealing his thunder to let you know that our new club champion was in fact the forum's very own @PieMan . So well played to him!

D

Deleted member 15344

Played in a scratch at Millbrook on Saturday

Hit the ball lovely , once again couldn’t sink a putt

Nice comfortable defeat for me

Yesterday - put the Scotty back in and the spider into the naughty corner , 3 putted the first 😂 and second but then started to get into a groove - 3 birdies on the bounce then par my way in for a level par 36 points

Need to get my putting sorted

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Enjoyed my courtesy at North Hants today. Course in nice condition and I played well in most part though a couple of serious mess-ups spoilt my card - not that that matters.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was an early morning drive down the M6 today to play at Little Aston, it is an impressive looking course and I hit the ball pretty well, Struggled with the greens though, I hit 10 greens in regulation but only made 5 pars, just couldn.t get the ball to finish near the hole.
If I have one complaint about the course it was some of the bunkers, some had a lot of stones in and also some had bits of shells

Visit site
Played Beamish Park this afternoon in glorious sunshine and it was looking as good as a golf course can. The slightly longer grass after yesterday's rain caught me out slightly but putted about as well as I ever have, bagging a birdie on the 8th. Battled against flies buzzing around me on the back 9 but thoroughly enjoyed the day. 83, could have been lower if I had reacted more quickly to the slower conditions. The long par 4 4th and it's Grand Canyon finale continues to baffle me however.

Jason.H

Visit site
Scratch team match tonight. Team won comfortably and I won 4 up with 2 to play. Felt in control all the way even though an unwelcome right to left flight was there today I managed it well and it always ended up within my dispersion target.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Continued garbage on the front nine. Misery continued on 10. Then a miracle happened. My golf game appeared out of nowhere. Three successive pars, could have been birdies!!!!! Knocked it round the back in 43. The wifes game went for a walk about on the back nine, so I have reclaimed my title of Best Golfer In Our House !!!!!!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Gross 78 yesterday evening for 42 points…

Interestingly a PCC has kicked in for -1 (first time seeing that at our place) so score diff raised to 11.0.

Played some great golf for 3 days in a row (for me) just making a number of doubles every round which are costing me getting a lower score than ever before. I am however also making more birdies than ever with our greens rolling so well.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Last 16 match of Over 55s KO. Giving 8 shots to a 17 handicapper it could have been difficult. Played poor for first three holes, dropping 4 shots to par, though still managing to get to 4th all square. Then played level par golf until we finished on the 13th with me winning 7&5. Truth is my opponent’s game rather fell apart under pressure as I maintained steady par golf.

How it often tends to be against the higher handicapper - of which 6 or the other 7 remaining are. Though I know one guy off 18 should be nothing like that…at least he is in other half of the draw so hopefully another higher handicapper will deal,with him.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
latest round in the club knockout today, a refreshing change was thaat I wasnt giving any shots, we are both the same course handicap so playing level, I started really well and was 3 up after 7, |On the 8th a par 5, she was on the green in 2 and just missed her eagle, I hand a 15 foot birdie but for a half and holed it.
The 9th, a par 3 has a large stone set in the ground in front of the tee, I hit it and my ball ricocheted into a penaly area, my opponent the put her ball in the same PA but she did hole a good putt for her bogey to win the hole to my double, I then doubled the 10th and lost the 11th to a par to go back to level.
We both made a mess of the 12th but my mess was slightly better, back to one up, this became 2 when I won the 13th. We both parred 14 and then onto 15.
We had been held up a little by a 4ball but they let us through on 15, a par 5, I hit a poor 3rd towards a bunker but somehow it bounced about and ran doe nthe bunkers face onto the green, I had a 30 fooot and I nailed it for a birdie, my oppo a similar distance but fro mthe other side of the hole, then holed hers, the 2nd hole halved with birdies,
We both missed our par putts on 16 so I was dormie 2, on 17 she overhit a lay up and found a PA, I played the hole safely and a bogey was enough to win the hole and the match.
In the next round it looks like i will be giving 10 or 11 shots, I expect a completely different match

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Skechers/Golf Monthly golf day at London Club today!

Torrential rain on my 1 hour 45 minute drive there, lighting actually delayed our tee time by an hour plus, but the weather was straight back to hot and humid after that. I've even got sunburn now! Very windy though, and somehow we seemed to be hitting into the wind for at least 13 of the holes.

Playing the International course with @gopher99 & @BTatHome - both thoroughly nice chaps and far better golfers than I - and a lady named Karen who's not on the forum. Was happy to be playing the International course as I played Heritage last year when I was there.

Started my round fairly well, but as is normal for my rounds now, the wheels all came off for a few holes. Hit a seemingly good drive on the 5th that the left to right wind just picked up and dropped in a bush, never to be seen again. Triple on the 6th after bunker trouble another lost ball unexpectedly on the 7th meant three blobs in a row, and a shocking front nine total of 10 points. Back nine was much-improved though - apart from donating two balls to the par 3 with the big lake in front of it - managed 16 points to arrive at a total of 26.

The Skechers were pretty decent, although I preferred the traditional lace up version to their new-fangled 'slip-in' ones with the boa system. Dan and Tom from GM were a good laugh although it was odd being photographed and videoed for a round.

Had a great day and many thanks to GM and Skechers.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
3rd round of club knockout this evening. I played with the guy on Saturday so knew his game wasn't where he would like it, but I was giving 6 shots nevertheless and knew he could be dangerous.

I was 1 up after 9 and then I went par, par, bogey, bogey to go dormie 5. He won the 14th but the match was over even before we got to the 15th green.

Giving my opponent 1 shot in the next round so expecting a good game.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
latest round in the club knockout today, a refreshing change was thaat I wasnt giving any shots, we are both the same course handicap so playing level, I started really well and was 3 up after 7, |On the 8th a par 5, she was on the green in 2 and just missed her eagle, I hand a 15 foot birdie but for a half and holed it.
The 9th, a par 3 has a large stone set in the ground in front of the tee, I hit it and my ball ricocheted into a penaly area, my opponent the put her ball in the same PA but she did hole a good putt for her bogey to win the hole to my double, I then doubled the 10th and lost the 11th to a par to go back to level.
We both made a mess of the 12th but my mess was slightly better, back to one up, this became 2 when I won the 13th. We both parred 14 and then onto 15.
We had been held up a little by a 4ball but they let us through on 15, a par 5, I hit a poor 3rd towards a bunker but somehow it bounced about and ran doe nthe bunkers face onto the green, I had a 30 fooot and I nailed it for a birdie, my oppo a similar distance but fro mthe other side of the hole, then holed hers, the 2nd hole halved with birdies,
We both missed our par putts on 16 so I was dormie 2, on 17 she overhit a lay up and found a PA, I played the hole safely and a bogey was enough to win the hole and the match.
In the next round it looks like i will be giving 10 or 11 shots, I expect a completely different match
Though giving a stack of shots next time round we know through our experience that as long as the much lower handicapper plays steady golf to their handicap that, just in itself, puts a lot of prsssure on the higher handicapper and often their game just cant cope. That said…sometimes the much higher player has one of these days and you can’t do much, or anything, about it, but we know that going into the match…

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
1st round of County Seniors Scratch Knockout.
Fortunate to get a home draw.
No so fortunate to be drawn against a chap some years younger with an HI that is 3.0 lower. (4.7 against 1.7)
I won 4&3. Seven single putts in those 15 holes. He outdrove me nearly every time. What was that famous saying again?

Next round is away against a chap with an even lower HI than today's opponent, I believe.
Free round at a nice course. Not exactly, because there was an entry fee for the comp. Just as well that it will be Luffenham Heath.
Crashing out second round looks likely, but I shall try.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sunday - our course was hosting a county competition and four of us got a courtesy at Birstall. Good course, good company and I played my best for some time, what’s not to like.

Monday - senior pairs comp at Fulford Heath just south of Birmingham. Some short but quirky par fours to start the round and we had a great front nine. We both played poorly on the back nine though and finished with 36pts. A course I would Loke to play again now that I understand the layout of the holes better.

Today - County Seniors Club Betterball knockout, away v Longcliffe. Odd format in that the pair with the better stableford betterball score got the point for their club. Two of the team of ten had to have a handicap index greater 18, hence why I got the opportunity to play in my first ever club match. I partnered a 3 handicap who was very consistent and I only needed to come in occasionally (just as well as my putting distance control was all over the place). Won our match and the team won overall to progress to the next round

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Skechers/Golf Monthly golf day at London Club today!

Torrential rain on my 1 hour 45 minute drive there, lighting actually delayed our tee time by an hour plus, but the weather was straight back to hot and humid after that. I've even got sunburn now! Very windy though, and somehow we seemed to be hitting into the wind for at least 13 of the holes.

Playing the International course with @gopher99 & @BTatHome - both thoroughly nice chaps and far better golfers than I - and a lady named Karen who's not on the forum. Was happy to be playing the International course as I played Heritage last year when I was there.

Started my round fairly well, but as is normal for my rounds now, the wheels all came off for a few holes. Hit a seemingly good drive on the 5th that the left to right wind just picked up and dropped in a bush, never to be seen again. Triple on the 6th after bunker trouble another lost ball unexpectedly on the 7th meant three blobs in a row, and a shocking front nine total of 10 points. Back nine was much-improved though - apart from donating two balls to the par 3 with the big lake in front of it - managed 16 points to arrive at a total of 26.

The Skechers were pretty decent, although I preferred the traditional lace up version to their new-fangled 'slip-in' ones with the boa system. Dan and Tom from GM were a good laugh although it was odd being photographed and videoed for a round.

Had a great day and many thanks to GM and Skechers.
Great day (as usual from GM). Meeting others is always a pleasure.

Wish I could have had some putting shoes because mine was terrible today.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Third round of the club KO. Played a chap that I know well and had to give him 9 shots. A year ago he would have got 5 shots. I lost 2/1.