I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Junior fundraiser stableford today and was rubbish on the course for 29 points . Had a go in the putting comp and 2 putted the first 4 holes but then went four under in next 5 holes for 14 and win the prize. 4 ball voucher for the Arden Course :D :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With my 20th WHS round being a counter before a run of seven non-counters, I entered our Saturday Stableford with simple intention of scoring best gross I could so that I had a decent replacement for the round I’d lose, not too bothered about trying to win the stableford comp as I know that’s going to be unlikely as winning is usually 40+

But the course was set up off the stones, and with bit of wind, chilly mostly, and damp if not wet fairways, the course was playing very long.

And blow me, despite a three putt on last I shot an 80 and 37pts. Not a winning score (40 won it) and I came in 4th (38 would have seen me tied 2nd…no matter). But importantly, my 80 replaces my 20th differential of 8.5 with a 7.6. Success…a small reduction in my HI should result.

Onwards and upwards (or downwards)

ETA: Turns out that a PCC was applied and so a diff of 6.7 and my cut was 0.2 to 8.0. Getting close to my Low HI of 7.8 👍

Last edited:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
played Oswestry Friday, little damp but course in good shape and looked pretty. loved the layout and had it going for 7 holes (even missing a 3ft birdie on 7) @ -1 game was easy sadly the demons of chipping turned up back 9 and a damp end +5

40pts as a pair 3rd on leaving with one putt hold all day long from 20ft - no weekly home golf so TOUR life and learning fast is key.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was meant to be playing this morning but one too many beers last night and not sleeping well meant I had to postpone until the afternoon. Just me and my 29 capper mate so we did a match with me giving him 14 shots - I've got three match play events this year that I'm entered in so thought it was worth a tune-up on the format.

Starting on the 8th - the first hole was a standard hangover car crash start, a weak slice drive followed by two duffs trying to play back over the trees so a triple bogey 8 and one down straight away. Just laughed it off though and played quite well after that. It was a really good match, up and down all the way. My mate was playing steady so I saw myself two down by the 16th, after being just short of the green in two I left the chip miles short and 3-putted which was shocking. But I recovered to win the next three holes (17th, 18th, 1st) with a bogey and two pars to go 1 up for the first time. Sadly another poor hole on the 2nd (100 yards from the pin after my drive and still made a bogey 5) let him straight back to all square even though he'd had to take a drop from the ditch, but did very well to make 5 himself to win with his shot.

A few halved holes followed but then I shockingly lost a no-shot hole to him when he parred the par 3 6th and I only managed bogey, so dormie 1 on the last. However I finished the round with a superb par, up and down from 60 yards with a great putt where he only managed double bogey, so they match finished an honourable draw.

I shot 80 gross (still 17 holes though) so pretty decent, just one triple and one double, but dropped a few very silly shots to stop it being a really good score. My driving was excellent after the first couple of holes, hit some of the best drives I've hit all year, and my putting was decent too, after I actually spent ten mins on the putting green for once before the round and worked on keeping both my elbows tucked in and hitting it more on line.

Had a great round, done in less than 3 hours and the weather was lovely, first shorts and t-shirt round of the year. And my hangover's gone now. 😄

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
First proper comp of the year, 102 entries in the Pros Stableford and I've only gone and won it with 39 points. I changed my swing a little after a session at the range yesterday and I haven't hit irons better for the last year or so. Not bad for a 70 year old 🤗🤗

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Was meant to be playing this morning but one too many beers last night and not sleeping well meant I had to postpone until the afternoon. Just me and my 29 capper mate so we did a match with me giving him 14 shots - I've got three match play events this year that I'm entered in so thought it was worth a tune-up on the format.

Starting on the 8th - the first hole was a standard hangover car crash start, a weak slice drive followed by two duffs trying to play back over the trees so a triple bogey 8 and one down straight away. Just laughed it off though and played quite well after that. It was a really good match, up and down all the way. My mate was playing steady so I saw myself two down by the 16th, after being just short of the green in two I left the chip miles short and 3-putted which was shocking. But I recovered to win the next three holes (17th, 18th, 1st) with a bogey and two pars to go 1 up for the first time. Sadly another poor hole on the 2nd (100 yards from the pin after my drive and still made a bogey 5) let him straight back to all square even though he'd had to take a drop from the ditch, but did very well to make 5 himself to win with his shot.

A few halved holes followed but then I shockingly lost a no-shot hole to him when he parred the par 3 6th and I only managed bogey, so dormie 1 on the last. However I finished the round with a superb par, up and down from 60 yards with a great putt where he only managed double bogey, so they match finished an honourable draw.

I shot 80 gross (still 17 holes though) so pretty decent, just one triple and one double, but dropped a few very silly shots to stop it being a really good score. My driving was excellent after the first couple of holes, hit some of the best drives I've hit all year, and my putting was decent too, after I actually spent ten mins on the putting green for once before the round and worked on keeping both my elbows tucked in and hitting it more on line.

Had a great round, done in less than 3 hours and the weather was lovely, first shorts and t-shirt round of the year. And my hangover's gone now. 😄
If you are unfamiliar with matchplay format, remember that in matchplay games you are allowed to practice play on the course before the match.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
one of our main Board handicap stableford comps. Lovely day, at last, 100+ entries. Again, tees off the plates and playing very long. Was won with 38pts. I came in around 30th with 34pts…that’s fine as I was not expecting to challenge, just do my best a get a decent gross in for handicap purposes. But as it happens with a little more care and less recklessness 38pts was on.

And then 5 holes Texas Scramble comp with a team of Academy Members, which we won, but as we didn’t apply any handicaps and I was lowest by a mile…it was fun 😳

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
one of our main Board handicap stableford comps. Lovely day, at last, 100+ entries. Again, tees off the plates and playing very long. Won with 38pts. Came around 30th with 34pts…that’s fine as I was not expecting to challenge, just do my best a get a decent gross in for handicap purposes. But as it happens with a little more care and less recklessness 38pts was on.

And then 5 holes Texas Scramble comp with a team of Academy Members, which we won, but as we didn’t apply any handicaps and I was lowest by a mile…it was fun 😳

Its "old gits" winners day then !! Well done

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lesson this morning. Seemed to go well, hold the V through the strike, get my right shoulder through, release the club head. Booked to play 9 after work on Tuesday to put it into practice.

Teebs

Visit site
First evening Golf of the year and an enjoyable 75 to half the match with a scratch mate. Didn't expect much after a double on the 1st, but 16 pars and 1 further bogey got me in at +3.

The work I've done on the putting is really bearing fruit.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Walton Heath Old and a new personal best of of +2 gross off 8. Just couldn’t put a foot wrong. Need to put a card in I think….

Stunning course, the bunkering is simply outstanding and makes for some great views while you’re plotting your way around.

11/14 FIR 12 GIR 33 putts
Double bogey to start but 1 birdie and 2 more bogeys for a 38 (+3) front. Came alive on the back with a birdie on 16 that was very nearly an eagle for a 36 (-1) back

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After yesterday's win I've had my first handicap cut in 11 months. Last May I was cut to 16.1 and today from 16.3 to 15.5. Unfortunately my next score dropping out is a competition winning 83 so will hope for a decent score in that comp so any rise in handicap is minimal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
After yesterday's win I've had my first handicap cut in 11 months. Last May I was cut to 16.1 and today from 16.3 to 15.5. Unfortunately my next score dropping out is a competition winning 83 so will hope for a decent score in that comp so any rise in handicap is minimal.
My next six qualifying cards are non-counters…so no matter how bad my score, my HI won’t go up. But of course the flip side of the rounds being ‘free hits’ is that I treat them too casually and mess up.

Yesterday was a case in point. Entered not really looking to win the comp but looking for a good gross for HI purposes - but was a bit careless and tried some shots I’d not normally try…because no matter how bad the round my HI wouldn’t go up as it was replacing a non-counter.

The careless and risky stuff on front nine dropped me two against PH for the nine, but pulled my socks up back nine and played to handicap for that nine - and as a nine the back is much harder than the front. If I’d played front nine with same approach as back nine I’m sure I’d have put in a counting gross. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, the Golfing Gods dumped on me from a very great height for the first 14 holes today.....could barely string 1 good shot together let alone 2...
Then, on the 15th, they relented and gave me some hope so that I'll come back next time...
20 points after 14 holes became 32 after 18 after going birdie,,par, bogey(nett par), Eagle on the last 4 holes....
Stupid bloody game..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Rocked up for a 4be2score today at Moor Hall, Brum.

Allus get some funny looks a' me old clubs on the 1st tee when playing with dudes who ain't met me, but affer I'd smoked Aldridge's finest (Harold Bird & Son 1 wood, as sold in the Argos ca'alogue back in the 70s) past their modern high tech :poop: and rolled in the bird a couple of shots la'er they chilled and accep'ed I wouldn't drag the lads down.
Dropped another bird la'er on and played PDG.

Sorry, slipped into young(ish) golfer speak there, what I meant to say was that I had a good day at Moor Hall playing in an AmAm and won a bottle of wine for a 2.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rocked up for a 4be2score today at Moor Hall, Brum.

Allus get some funny looks a' me old clubs on the 1st tee when playing with dudes who ain't met me, but affer I'd smoked Aldridge's finest (Harold Bird & Son 1 wood, as sold in the Argos ca'alogue back in the 70s) past their modern high tech :poop: and rolled in the bird a couple of shots la'er they chilled and accep'ed I wouldn't drag the lads down.
Dropped another bird la'er on and played PDG.

Sorry, slipped into young(ish) golfer speak there, what I meant to say was that I had a good day at Moor Hall playing in an AmAm and won a bottle of wine for a 2.
Dude👏🤜