I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A new course for me today Macclesfield, we have an interclub match there next week so went for some practice. It certainly gave my legs a good workout, the first hole it straight up the hill and that set a tend for most of the front 9 holes, The course is split by a track and it seems that some of the back 9 holes were added to the original course. I did enjoy it and didnt play too badly, I certainly hit my long shots well.

It will be an interesting match next week as we will be giving quite a few shots.

Been my home course for the past 18 months. Glad you enjoyed it. Once you get used to the hills its even better . Greens are always fantastic and the views are amazing.

Are you playing in the Archie Preston ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been my home course for the past 18 months. Glad you enjoyed it. Once you get used to the hills its even better . Greens are always fantastic and the views are amazing.

Are you playing in the Archie Preston ?
I am playing in our Archie team yes, we won our first match last week, you are playing Cheadle I believe. I was there as a practice for the Bell Cup, which is a Manc and district ladies knockout plying the match next tuesday

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
New course for me yesterday - Woldingham. Nice enough course but too many sloping lies on fairways etc. And lack of signage made us lose the way a couple of times. But my, the weather made it tough. Probably gusting up to 35mph at times but the real nuisance was the bouts of horizontal hail which came blasting through every half hour or so. Then the downpour came near the end ...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Absolutely disastrous front 9 today...it was very windy and cold but that's no excuse for the rat poo I dished up.... couldn't get the speed of the greens, couldn't judge the wind...oh, and my lob wedge shaft snapped on the 5th...and I needed it for the next 4 holes so didn't score many points...no pars, plenty of doubles..
Back 9, for some reason, the game appeared.
3 pars in a row and then another missed lob wedge hole...and played ok in from there for 17 on the back..
The wind was brutal at times, I hit very solid 3 hybrid 158 yards...Mmm..only 40 yards down...
Index on the rise...

sjw

Visit site
I went to the range tonight to work on driver. It's been the club that's let me down most over the last few rounds, even though I've been breaking 100. The holes I left shots on were those where I'd got myself into a sticky situation off the tee.

Normally lately I cannot hit driver at the range at all, and I normally get frustrated after a few slices and practice something else. This time I really worked on it. I probably hit too many balls from a lot of people's POV (ie too many with the same club) but I was really just focussing on height and swinging hard.

Normally at the range I'll hit carry around 190 (TT numbers, so who knows if they're accurate) and they are typically a bit shorter compared to on the course. I'll also max out the height at about 50 feet, which obviously isn't high at all but does mean I get more roll out. Tonight, by the time I had finished I was getting closer to 100 feet up, and had multiple drives carrying around the 230, 235 range, so SUPER stoked with that.

Annoyingly, the few that I hit DEAD straight and super high, the toptracer didn't pick up!! Must have been something with that bay, there were 3 or 4 where I thought, "that was perfect," and all of them didn't register!! No idea what was happening. Felt much better overall, now I just have to hope that next time I can pick up where I left off!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
35pts off forward tees yesterday. I have a bit of an issue playing off these tees as the CR is two less than par. So though my 35pts is only 1 over par, it’s 3 over for handicap purposes. And in truth I just don't find our yellows two shots easier.

I think if most of my WHS qualifying rounds were off yellows my HI would be higher than it currently is, and that would make me more competitive off whites. But I won’t do that as I want my handicap to come down.

Anyway…today I have a 1st round match in clubs main Summer handicap singles KO comp. Giving one shot it should be a tight match.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A lovely day, not much wind and bright sunshine. For a change we played individual stableford, we usually do 4BBB on a friday, there were muttering from all the guys off low single figures 😂
I was innthe last group, and all I can say about my game was shocking!! Started double double, with only 11 points on the front 9 in perfect conditions, my playing partners were not much better. What a difference on the back nine, 3 under gross for 25 points and a 36 which was good enough for 3rd😂😂 alas my two pp didn't fare as well, It was suggested their wife's took away their belts and shoe laces when they got home😂
A good laugh anyway was had by all.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First seniors open of the year at SAOL yesterday. You can tell that there was a pretty stiff breeze as 44 points would usually see you about 10th place 😮 but 41 points was the winning score.

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fabulous day trip to Hillside with our mate who is a Country member, dodged most of the rain. Shot 76 with a triple in there . Highlight was the par3 4th , all 4 of us on the green and 3 birdies holed with the "member " putting last , but he let us down 😂

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Bit the bullet and played my first club competition on Wednesday, was quite nervous and it showed on the first 5 or 6 holes!
- Stupidly I didn't realise I'd entered the monthly Medal rather than a stableford or roll up, and didn't quite realise how many people would be taking part! Definitely added to the nerves
- Shot 54 on the front, 46 on the back, 100 overall and that gave me a 76 after course handicap taken off.
- I was pretty sure I'd be bringing up the rear but didn't really know what to expect. On reflect I was 36/110 overall and 16/40 in the division on what was quite a tough day weather wise. I would have taken that result from the outset to be honest.

Didn't play very well but a good experience, playing partners were more experienced and understanding with my relative lack of ability which was good! One of them was asking if I was available for an upcoming fourball comp so that was nice. Good to rip the plaster off and looking forward to entering another one soon

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit the bullet and played my first club competition on Wednesday, was quite nervous and it showed on the first 5 or 6 holes!
- Stupidly I didn't realise I'd entered the monthly Medal rather than a stableford or roll up, and didn't quite realise how many people would be taking part! Definitely added to the nerves
- Shot 54 on the front, 46 on the back, 100 overall and that gave me a 76 after course handicap taken off.
- I was pretty sure I'd be bringing up the rear but didn't really know what to expect. On reflect I was 36/110 overall and 16/40 in the division on what was quite a tough day weather wise. I would have taken that result from the outset to be honest.

Didn't play very well but a good experience, playing partners were more experienced and understanding with my relative lack of ability which was good! One of them was asking if I was available for an upcoming fourball comp so that was nice. Good to rip the plaster off and looking forward to entering another one soon
Getting your first competition out of the way is always a bit nerve-wracking. The second one is much, much, easier - as you now know what to expect. And you've now got yourself a target to beat. Go for it!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with the Fragster first thing..more bloody rain although it was fairly light....
I thought I was in for one of those days when he parred the first 2 holes, as did I....best bloody 26 handicapper in the World.
Normality soon kickedmin and the blobs and 1mpointers began to appear as I calmly strode to 17 points to his 14 at the turn..
More steady but unspectacular stuff from me, more of the same from him..thenodd par but mostly doubles....he got his first 2npoint hole on the 16th...
Finished 33-28 in my favour but I have to say that with, even just a small amount of luck on the greens that would have been 37/38.
I'm going through a stage of 5 or 6 lipouts every round right now and it's irritating.....
Hopefully a dry week coming....

D

Deleted member 15344

Last couple of days the swindle has been away for our yearly one night trip

This year we went to Hawkstone Park

£150 for 1 night 2 rounds

Very impressed - two very good courses , nice hotel and nice food

The two courses are very different - we played the Championship course, a more modern layout with lakes and great greens . We were just behind the Midlands u16 scratch champs so even with the rain it was in great Nick

Today it was the Hawkstone , a very nice undulating course , a few blind tee shots but lots of lovely holes

Highly recommend for anyone looking for a group booking for a night stay