I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Three man team at Pyke & Kenfig today. Out late, missed most of the rain, but it got seriously windy. Unplayable in places!🤣🤣

Fun though

Blowing an absolute gale when we were there, to the point it was almost unplayable. Still great fun, but felt as though I’d been chewed up and spat out by the time I reached the clubhouse.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye, right infront of the clubhouse as well, I hit the green but 3 putted. Most of the lads were hitting it stiff, I think I only saw a couple miss the green - mind you, a lot of them are low single figure players, so it's bread and butter to them.
I got chatting to the greenkeeper on the 7th tee and he asked how I was finding the course - to which I reluctantly replied, "yeah it's good.... I'm enjoying it", but from the 7th onwards I thought the holes were much better.
I'd definitely play it again if I was up that way.

The wife’s grandparents live in Appleton, so I usually play it when we visit them.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went to play at Huyton and Prescot yesterday, three of our teams have all won their respective groups and the regional finals are being held there in a couple of weeks so we went down to play in their open and get a look at the course.
I quite enjoyed it, there was a good variety of holes, some hill, although not too steep the greens were decent and some were quite tricky, on the down side there were some strange bounces.
I kept up my good hitting and despite 3 putting the first from about 15 feet my putting wasn't too bad for a change.
It was well worth playing it so we know what to expect and as a bonus I won a bottle of gin in the raffle and our team won the competition too.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good solid round yesterday, 34 points despite not holing any putts from outside 5 feet.

It was pretty warm and humid which I guess explains why I was getting around 20 yards further with my 3 hybrid, went thru 5 or 6 greens as a result!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
20 mph winds gusting up to 40 mph on the weather forecast and it certainly felt like it with a few showers as well. Still the golf was interesting even if the scoring wasn't spectacular.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Good 18 holes practise, trying different Clubs off the tee, laying up, going for green in 2 on one of the Par 5’s.
Enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a go at my mates one length clubs on his course today.

A bit strange seeing a gap wedge with a 7 iron shaft but I hit them better than my own.
Can see an experiment coming on.😳

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Mill Green today for the first time. Beautiful sunshine but quite windy which made it tough on the narrower holes

Started off playing well but the wheels came off on the par 5 7th, as I sliced my first drive into oblivion, and the second attempt was pulled into a tree on the left. Still had a putt for a 7 but missed it. There's always one hole where the driver falls off a cliff at the moment. Followed that up with a double bogey as well, so only 15 points at the halfway stage.

On the back nine everything clicked - from 10 to 16 I had one birdie, one bogey and five pars. Bogeyed the last two for a two over back nine - 22 points. One of those nines where golf suddenly felt easy and you wonder why the hell it can't be like that all the time??

83 gross for 37 points - 11 over par. (Only receive 12 shots here because of stupid WHS.) Had a good round going off, this round was slightly better though, so I'll either get cut 0.1 or stay as I am. Didn't even win the day though as my 24 handicap mate, playing off 22 for the day managed 39 points.

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Played at Mill Green today for the first time. Beautiful sunshine but quite windy which made it tough on the narrower holes

Started off playing well but the wheels came off on the par 5 7th, as I sliced my first drive into oblivion, and the second attempt was pulled into a tree on the left. Still had a putt for a 7 but missed it. There's always one hole where the driver falls off a cliff at the moment. Followed that up with a double bogey as well, so only 15 points at the halfway stage.

On the back nine everything clicked - from 10 to 16 I had one birdie, one bogey and five pars. Bogeyed the last two for a two over back nine - 22 points. One of those nines where golf suddenly felt easy and you wonder why the hell it can't be like that all the time??

83 gross for 37 points - 11 over par. (Only receive 12 shots here because of stupid WHS.) Had a good round going off, this round was slightly better though, so I'll either get cut 0.1 or stay as I am. Didn't even win the day though as my 24 handicap mate, playing off 22 for the day managed 39 points.
Only played there once, and I was slicing everything, didn't play well at all. Was a guest there, will have to get out there again sometime and have another crack at it. Nice place though

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time at Clevedon on Thursday. Some quirky holes but generally enjoyable except for the rain showers for most of the way round. The paths could do with a bit of work as they are real bone shakers if you have a trolley. As for the actual golf, I was -1 until I got to the 8th, walked off there +2. Wasn’t sure what club to hit and ended up in the woods on the left close to the OOB and behind a tree. Not too bad after that except for a 3 putt bogey on 17 to finish at +4. A tough finish with three of the last four holes being long(ish) and uphill. A lot hillier than our group was expecting it to be. Will probably go back next year though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes semi-final this morning - giving 6 shots. I had a touch of the slices but thankfully all my drives just clung on to stay in play. Aside from that we both played very well on the front nine. By half way we were only 6 over gross and 4 up having only lost one hole. Then we birdied the 10th as well to go 5 up. Opponents then won their two shots holes though to commence a good fight back. It became a ding-dong battle as we won 13 with a good par, but lost 14 & 15 to find ourselves 2 up but facing another shot hole for the opponents. I played a very poorly sliced third shot for us, but partner got us out of jail with a great chip from the bushes, and we escaped with a half. Another half on 17 was good enough for the win.

Other than slicing my headcover clubs for most of the round (just tiredness really having not slept well) I played well, and my partner played very well too. Greens had been sanded this week, but strangely I don't mind it as I know they won't break as much as you can hit it as hard as you like at the hole without fear of it running past, so I putted well too. Bring on the final!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Am-Am at ours today, teams of four. Two to count on all holes.

Struck it really nice again, and we scored okay with 81 points. Leading team on 93 😳. One of that team was getting no fewer than 28 shots, and featured on their card 14 times, playing those holes 7 over gross.

Yet more reason not to play team comps.

Skytot

Visit site
Medal today had had my best round all season 84 gross 69 net, which includes a 2 shot penalty for hitting my playing partners ball with my ball on the green. I was stupid and rushed because of the players on adjacent tee were waiting for us before they teed off . Should of made him mark it before I putted

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clevedon in a Pairs Open today. 41 points nowhere near prizes🤣🤣

Got a 2...that got me a sleeve of Trufeels.. yuk!

Enjoyed the back 9. Some oddities on the front!
I would agree with you, after my first round there the back nine is much better than the front nine. Almost two different styles of course. The 8th hole derailed my round. It was probably an ok hole before the houses appeared but the net and hitting off a mat with yardage restrictions on what club you can hit makes it 💩.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 37pt competition score, with 2 blobs. I chose the later roll up because we had a bit of a rough night, but we both got back to sleep after using some yoga techniques to ease wind .. which was amusing.
The front 9 was okay I was pretty steady some poor putting in places .. particularly par 3s.
Then the 9th was on back of the tee box and playing into the wind 445 yards with a 10yard elevation upto 220yards. I left myself 220 into the wind as a 2nd shot and pulled the 3 wood out of my bag and set up with an open front stance and piped it down the centre of the green for a nice par. 10 was a par 3 birdie 2 , 11 was a par, 12 430yard 6iron second into wind 175-185yards to 14ft for a 2 putt par , then a chip in birdie at 13.. then 14 was a four putt 🤯 15 was a poor 2nd choice and then a few disastrous attempts leading to a blob. 16 back on pars , 17 a bogey - nearly saved it , 18 was just a huge drive and wedge on 430 yard hole with no wind assistance just pure brutal power … the 20 second plank every other day is turning me into a middle aged superman

Burnsey

Visit site
Played our society Captains day, 9 pairs scramble comp, then 18 holes singles matchplay and drawn against a 2 HCP.

I am Jimmy, he is Sully (they were the captains names recorded on the app used).

Nail biting...

IMG_3457.jpg

Springveldt

Visit site
Invitation day yesterday so stableford betterball in a pretty strong wind. We played well, managed 42 points and it seems we have both had a counting score added by England Golf. It gave me a 4.7 differential and my mate had a 9.7 differential.

44 points won and we were 11th with 42 so a really close comp.

One of the other lads group had 42 points yet he hasn’t had a score added today and he scored on more than 9 holes.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a lovely day for a round at the seaside. Aberdour was lovely this afternoon and I managed a respectable 72 (par 67) even had an eagle on the par 4 7th.

Slow going as it was busy but the sunshine made up for it.