I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Chorlton cum Hardy?

Booked in the golfmates golf day later in the year there, and looking forwards to it. Course is supposed to be in great order.,

That's the one!

It was in decent nick to be honest. Green speed seemed a bit variable but they looked great and ran very true. Plenty of sand in the bunkers but a few of them needed a good rake.

Strange course in some ways, all the par 4s are either driveable or seemed to be 400 yards plus. Didn't feel like there there many in the 300s. I don't remember hitting an 8 or 9 iron all day!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Didn’t play myself today but after Silloth yesterday the youth was in a Junior Open at Crosland Heath in Huddersfield.

A pair of 7’s bookended 16 holes that were 11 over gross - solid scoring and a nett 64 comfortably gave him the win, and a £64 voucher for the pro’s shop.

And Leeds got relegated.

He’s a happy boy.. 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another cracker of a day today, 4bbb at Brancepeth Castle, Co Durham. A real gem of a course, possibly the best in the county. Some challenging holes including 2 long par 3's over the same ravine. All or nothing holes 😲

I drove well today, essential here, and even hit my hybrid pretty well, for a massive and welcome change 😄. Greens were disappointingly slow though, a big shock after the speedy ones from yesterday, and that meant a very average day's putting. A shame as otherwise it was a very solid round.

To top off the day, our 2 regular playing partners look like winning with 44 points. The main points scorer was a guy in his late 60's playing off 5. He played beautifully, so in control all round. I think he finished 2 under for his round. Great to watch.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Chorlton with a three mates that live that way.

My driving is becoming a big problem at the moment and it's costing 8 to 10 shots a round.

Annoying as I think the rest of my game is getting there and driving has, until recently, been the strength of my game the past couple of years. Irons are better than they've ever been and I holed some decent putts (but had a couple of shockers).

Still had 3 birdies (2 of them on par 3s and the other on a par 4 where I hit my 4 iron and left myself 60 yards in).

Got a lesson on Friday to look at my driving and then I really feel there's some low scores in me if I can put it all together. Scoring more birdies than ever (about 3 a round at the moment) so it's in me.
I quite like Chorlton, although I don't play it as much as I used to.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was the County Championship today , 36 holes at Ormskirk. I have to say the course was in great condition and the weather was spot on, I started well in the morning with 7 pars o nthe front nine altough a double bogey on the 9th took the shine off a bit, I had a steady back nine although a triple on 16 mess it up a bit but parring the last 2 holes helped softe nthe blow, gross 83 a fraction better than my handicap.
In the afternoon I started well but had a triple on the 5th, but finished the 9 with 3 pars and a birdie, I started the back nine par, par, birdie but then had a double bogey to set me back but then 3 pars and 2 bogies over the last 5 holes for a gross 79, the resulting nett 69 being enough to win me the prize for best afternoon net score.
My aggregate gross score was also enogh to get me in the top 16 championship knockout, so I will be back tomorrow morning, although I expect I will be drawn against one pf the 2 girls who were under par on the day and so do not expect to progress any further but I will give it my best shot, she may have a bad day.
Like friday my putting was really good, although I did miss a 2foot birdie putt on one hole when the excitement got to me and I stabbed it wide
These two rounds were by far and away my best two qualifying rounds of the season and so, even though I will be losting 2 of my best 8, I expect to get a small cut

Visit site
Played Hobson GC on Saturday, a frustrating 85, still adjusting to greens running at summer speeds after the wet spring we have had up here. The course was in good nick although playing late in the day, we encountered the riff-raff taking advantage of the reduced green fee. Golf etiquette was nowhere to be seen, balls flying everywhere without warning etc.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Scratch match today - very strange , played with someone who didn’t give a single putt , even from an inch 😂 so just marked it everytime - snuck a win and we managed a draw

I know most people play gimmies in matchplay, but I also know people who never play them, even in a casual round. Personally, if I was playing with somebody who wasn't giving anything, I'd just reciprocate - at the end of the day, seeing the ball into the hole is a fundamental requirement of golf... Maybe it's time to ditch the tradition when playing in matchplay comps?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And was 💩

It’s was blowing quite hard from the north, at least 2 clubs and gusty, which is unusual for these parts.

Started not too bad considering the opening 3 holes are into the wind. Then had a nightmare. Hit a very good drive, which bounced 45° right and disappeared into a bush. Hit a great 3rd off the tee leaving me a wedge to the green. Which I hit well, only for it to land on a downslope and shoot off the back of the green. 2 comedy bounces on one hole resulted in a 7.

Hit a good drive into the strong wind on the next, then thinned a 6 iron into some elephant grass costing me a double.

And from there it was a battle to put in a semi respectable score. I hit my driver like a scratch player and my approaches like a beginner, I hit 2 half decent iron shots all day. The rest were a combination of fats, thins tops and shanks.

Signed for an 86 and genuinely pleased just to break 90 🤪

Teebs

Visit site
Still trying to get used to summer conditions, firm greens and hard fairways. Birdied #1 and then nothing exciting until a birdie on #15. Few rough bogies for a 74.

Some big drives out there with the firmer conditions, nudging on 300 yards.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Out at sparrowphart with Himself and CVG, had the course to ouirselves for the front 9 which was glorious

way better than my golf, which recorded blobs for each of the first 3 holes
I then managed to score 17 from the next 6 holes to turn only 3 behind @Imurg
a solid 19 on the back to his 15 gave me a 1 point victory, with 36 points, CVG lagging behing somewhat

Happy with the way I played 15 holes, but well narked at those opening 3 blobs
and to cap it all, I suspect that my handicap will go up a tad

Ho Hum

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Played the first two two holes in 30 mins (and another 5 mins chipping), then walked to the next tee to find group in front still waiting, so I walked back in.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I was back at Ormskirk, for my knockout match not the best start as Idrove into a bunker off the first tee, ut I got it out and then hit and 8iron dead for a half in par
second hole she found a bunker with her 2nd but got out for a gimmee, i had a 15 foot birdie chance that grazed the hole, half in par
Thought I had a chance on the 3rd she drove into the trees and had to play 3 off the tee, but birdied with her 2nd ball my par putt lipped out, half in bogey.
She birdie the 4th one down
I holed a nice putt to birdie the 5th, all square,
I then bogied the next 2 but lost both to pars, 2 down,
the next 2 holes were both halved with pars, my birdie putt on 9 stopping on the lip

So after 9 holes I was just 2 down I was just 3 over gross so couldn't complain

Then on the 10th I found a green side bunker and didn't get it out, 3down
I hit a poor approach on the 11th lost with bogey to a par, 4 down,
Almost chipped in for a birdie on 12 she holed her birdie putt 5 down
on the par 5 12th she was on the green in 2, I got my par but a 2 putt birdie closed out the match 6&5

Apart from the 10th i played well and had nothing worse than a bogey and unlike yesterday the putts stayed out instead of dropping.
The girl I played was lovely to play with and very friendly, she was also under par when we finished, so well beaten but not disgraced

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out of the blocks well this morning..
3 over for our 1st 9 (back 9) for 19 points...
Lost my way a little early on the 2nd 9...bogeyed the first 5 and then doubled the next before pars at the last 3....
Fragger is an absolute legend..again..
17th hole, downhill, wind right to left ( not good for him)
Aims left, nearly hits the 60ft pine trees and then almost turns 90 degrees in the air to finish 80 yards right of the start line....
God alone knows how he does it.... :ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lost my way a little early on the 2nd 9...bogeyed the first 5 and then doubled the next before pars at the last 3....
Aims left, nearly hits the 60ft pine trees and then almost turns 90 degrees in the air to finish 80 yards right of the start line....

Witchcraft

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Witchcraft

Burn Him 🔥 …………….

Oh wait a minute………..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know most people play gimmies in matchplay, but I also know people who never play them, even in a casual round. Personally, if I was playing with somebody who wasn't giving anything, I'd just reciprocate - at the end of the day, seeing the ball into the hole is a fundamental requirement of golf... Maybe it's time to ditch the tradition when playing in matchplay comps?
I tend not to give gimmes because A. I can't be bothered with the mind games of when to give and when not, and B. our greens are all very slopey so a two footer is very easily missable on most of them - but there is a line, and if you're making people putt out from 6 inches and stuff then I think you've crossed that line into taking the mick. 😂