I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Knockout match, going up against an 8 handicap and I was getting 8 shots, which is a real rarity!

Was 4 up quite early, he got it back to 1 but I won the 16th and halved 17th to close it out.

Next round, back to giving shots (6 this time).

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the last few weeks/months I’ve struggled to score well, mainly down to driving and iron play. Putting and short game has saved the day several times.

So today, it’s only natural that driving and irons were great, but putting and short game were awful, resulting in the same sort of score. What a wicked game we play.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very interesting, fun and a little frustrating 4bbb. Lost 6 balls, 4 blobs but 4 birdies! 3 birdies and a bogey on the par 3s - never been 2 under there before. The run from 9 went birdie, par, blob, birdie, blob, birdie!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just got back from the Northern Junior Golf Tour event up at Silloth with the young 'en. First time he's played a true links course, and there was a decent breeze blowing making the front nine pretty challenging - as I believe is the norm up there?
Wasted loads of shots figuring out a strategy to deal with the wind, but once he did, he played some decent golf.
Couple of birdies on the card, including this lip out eagle on the 17th - after he'd hit a good drive, then smashed a 2 iron off the deck up to the green...mentalist 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes match today. My partner is the (female) club captain, off 15, we were up against a male off 15 and a female off 40-something so we were giving them 15 shots. They started really well for 6 holes making three pars against us! Lots of give and take with holes won and lost but we were 1 up after birdying the 6th, one of the few holes they weren't getting a shot.

They were unlucky to lose a ball on the 8th that you wouldn't expect to lose, so that put us 2 up - probably the turning point because we never lost that cushion after that, ultimately winning it on the 15th 4&3.

A really good match (I'll do a longer write up on the match play thread for hole-by-hole fans), I played well, drove the ball really well and putted well too. My chipping was poor but the course has really sped up since the rain stopped and I was misjudging the roll-out a lot. My partner is a good ball-striker who said she used to be off 8 when she was younger, and she also putter well (even though she putts left-handed while playing her other shots right-handed). Weather was fantastic too, lovely sunshine with a little bit of breeze to keep us cool. Onto the next round!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Roll up this morning. The course looks absolutely fantastic tee to green and is playing very fair, but the second cut is absolutely brutal. And I mean savagely brutal.

Unfortunately, as our roll up is very mixed in terms of ability, with HI’s ranging from 0.3 up to 20+, that means that invariably there is at least one person in each group in the cabbage on every hole. The same applied to the groups on the course both in front and behind us.

The result of all that is a 3-ball friendly stableford taking over 4 1/2 hours despite being out just after 8am.

Tomorrow’s comp is in 4-balls off the back tees and the forecast is for it to be much breezier than today. So 5 hours minimum, even for the early starters. I’ve given up my slot as I have no wish to spend that length of time searching for golf balls.
IMHO, allowing the 1st and 2nd cuts and rough to grow too high happens all too often and spoils the game for the majority of club golfers.
Why- 2 reasons, 1- the people in charge [ council or green staff] don't want their course to play easy, with really low scores coming in.
2- trying to save money by not cutting grass down to a sensible level.
The lowest score will win, no matter how low.
It's not even fun watching pros looking for balls or trying to hack out of knee-high rough,
or is it lol.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
4bbb at my place, partnering @Maninblack4612 . 24 points on the front 9, we dovetailed nicely, all very exciting. A tougher back 9, more holes into wind, putters went cold, 16 points ☹. Very respectable still, although money won't be coming our way.

Lovely weather, good company, good day.
Yes, we were flying & then it all unravelled, but that's golf. Would have taken the 21 points on the back nine I had with @Jensen last Monday. Unfortunately, then, we only had 12 on the front nine 😕. But an enjoyable day nevertheless. Course was excellent & it was fun watching the two young lads we were playing with knocking it 40 yards past us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know that, for a golfer, pondering ‘if only’ is a fools errand, but if only I had putted even a bit closer to my norm yesterday (and my norm is good) I’d have got a bundle of pts more than my 34. But I didn’t - my putting was shockingly bad yesterday…really and truly bad.

Must have look at what I am doing, though tbh I think I am just being careless along the lines of familiarity breeding complacency.

Springveldt

Visit site
Invitation Day yesterday and at least the company and the weather was good.

Hit a shocking slice off the first, was nearly 2 fairways over and as I’m sheepishly looking for my ball next to the 9th tee box I hear someone shout my name and look up to see @Lord Tyrion and @Maninblack4612 as the group on the tee. I hit a great iron up over the trees to about 8 foot to make it look like I know how to play the game but leave the putt 2 inches short in the jaws. Set the tone for the day as both me and my partner’s putter were stone cold, we had so many putts burn the edge as the greens were taking subtle breaks that we just couldn’t read.

Think we finished with only 34 points but still had a good day.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played Chorlton with a three mates that live that way.

My driving is becoming a big problem at the moment and it's costing 8 to 10 shots a round.

Annoying as I think the rest of my game is getting there and driving has, until recently, been the strength of my game the past couple of years. Irons are better than they've ever been and I holed some decent putts (but had a couple of shockers).

Still had 3 birdies (2 of them on par 3s and the other on a par 4 where I hit my 4 iron and left myself 60 yards in).

Got a lesson on Friday to look at my driving and then I really feel there's some low scores in me if I can put it all together. Scoring more birdies than ever (about 3 a round at the moment) so it's in me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Scratch match today - very strange , played with someone who didn’t give a single putt , even from an inch 😂 so just marked it everytime - snuck a win and we managed a draw

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played Chorlton with a three mates that live that way.

My driving is becoming a big problem at the moment and it's costing 8 to 10 shots a round.

Annoying as I think the rest of my game is getting there and driving has, until recently, been the strength of my game the past couple of years. Irons are better than they've ever been and I holed some decent putts (but had a couple of shockers).

Still had 3 birdies (2 of them on par 3s and the other on a par 4 where I hit my 4 iron and left myself 60 yards in).

Got a lesson on Friday to look at my driving and then I really feel there's some low scores in me if I can put it all together. Scoring more birdies than ever (about 3 a round at the moment) so it's in me.

Chorlton cum Hardy?

Booked in the golfmates golf day later in the year there, and looking forwards to it. Course is supposed to be in great order.,