I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They look OK, how long ago was that done now?

We are having to look at revetting orvat least partial revetting of the fairway bunkers since the course had a redesign. 30 less bunkers and all fairway are now waste area/sheep scrape type. Alas quite a few of these the sand is blowing out on windy days.
@patricks148 FYI what’s involved…out yesterday…our final rebuild underway, a fairway bunker…

0937203F-E70C-457E-AA69-CBD6FCCB0409.jpeg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
@patricks148 FYI what’s involved…out yesterday…our final rebuild underway, a fairway bunker…

View attachment 46483
We are a links course and all our bunkers were pot bunkers 130 of them before the change. Its only the fairways that have been changed. I think the cost in time and money makes the case for us to try these. The sheer amount of damage done to some of the revetting meant that some where needing re done every couple of years.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are a links course and all our bunkers were pot bunkers 130 of them before the change. Its only the fairways that have been changed. I think the cost in time and money makes the case for us to try these. The sheer amount of damage done to some of the revetting meant that some where needing re done every couple of years.
Out this morning this is our oldest eco bunker - built on our practice ground prior to us committing to rebuild across the course. This was built 7 yrs ago and is subject to a lot of use - and we've done essentially no maintenance on it whatsoever other than tidying, and occasionally supplementing, the sand. And on sand we lose a lot less than we used to as the sand from shots mostly bounces off the face and back into the bunker. Also we have no issues with mowers causing the top edge to collapse - they easily take the weight of our mowers. Also you can see how it looks like nature and time have softened the artificial look of the face - though in truth they don't really look that artificial when first built (if interested I'll photo the one currently being built once it's done - they are actually working on it today so you'll get an idea of how long building one takes)

IMG_1458.jpg

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver, shocking.
Irons, shocking.
Short game, shocking.
Putting, shocking.
I said it was the worst I've played in twenty years until my mate reminded me of how bad I was last week!
It's now the worst I've played ............................. for a week!

I'm taking that as a win. :eek:

Jason.H

Visit site
Played yesterday and was amazed how dry and fast the course has gotten. Doesn’t seem 5 minutes since it was closed due to being saturated. The greens had been cut and some interesting pin positions on slopes. One in particular was impossible to keep the 1st put near the hole if putting from above, it just ran down to the fringe .

Reactions: sjw

Mandofred

Visit site
Still trying to decide on playing today. Tee time at 10:30 and that's just when the wind should quickly die off. First few holes might be interesting though.... Just waiting for one other guy to decide if he is going to try it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Still trying to decide on playing today. Tee time at 10:30 and that's just when the wind should quickly die off. First few holes might be interesting though.... Just waiting for one other guy to decide if he is going to try it.

Our place is closed due to the wind, 65mph forecast. Anyone thinking of playing in that needs their head examining.

Mandofred

Visit site
Our place is closed due to the wind, 65mph forecast. Anyone thinking of playing in that needs their head examining.
After 10am the wind around here is supposed to drop pretty quickly. Depending on which weather forecast you want to believe...currently steady winds of 30-40mph.....then a quick drop at 10-ish. The MET has 37 at 9am, 32 at 10am, 18 at 11am. Our 10:40 tee time should hit it just about right.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only 30-40mph gusts down here but it's enough, on our course, to render it virtually unplayable...
Balls getting blown around on greens - and they're not cut short yet - and I hit a solid 5 iron 120 yards:ROFLMAO:
Didn't keep score and came in after 16 as the lure of a mini breakfast became too much to withstand....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Only 30-40mph gusts down here but it's enough, on our course, to render it virtually unplayable...
Balls getting blown around on greens - and they're not cut short yet - and I hit a solid 5 iron 120 yards:ROFLMAO:
Didn't keep score and came in after 16 as the lure of a mini breakfast became too much to withstand....

i guess that was downwind

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our roll up didn't go out, we just sat drank coffee and looked out the window, it was gusting at 80 at 9am, but dropped down to 40 by 10.30, a few of us were going to venture out but it started raining. But a few groups went out and a couple of young guys carrying went out just before 9.... FYI their drives didn't go far😂

Mandofred

Visit site
No problem here in Harrogate. Did just what I thought it would. We started a little early (10:20) since nobody was on the course......3hrs for the round. First couple of holes the wind was already dropping. By halfway it was lovely with barely a breeze.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bad day at the office - 39 points that included 2 blobs and an unmentionable. The greens had been punched so we’re bumpy and dog slow.

Highlights were my long irons again and the 7 wood.

Hit a cracking 5 iron on our last - 210 into pretty decent wind that finished about 12 feet away

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another day, another strong, gusty wind....but the balance of the Universe has been restored...
Nearly OB off the 1st into a howling gale which led to a double
The greens seemed very slow today and that accounted for a 3 putt on the 2nd but then I parred in on the front for 17 points
Couple of bogeys and an outrageous sandy birdie from a plugged lie - Fragger was not amused.
Ran out a winner 36-34 a 76 gross(+5) - the Old boy didn't play too badly but I think we've established that he can't play into the wind....:LOL:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Another day, another strong, gusty wind....but the balance of the Universe has been restored...
Nearly OB off the 1st into a howling gale which led to a double
The greens seemed very slow today and that accounted for a 3 putt on the 2nd but then I parred in on the front for 17 points
Couple of bogeys and an outrageous sandy birdie from a plugged lie - Fragger was not amused.
Ran out a winner 36-34 a 76 gross(+5) - the Old boy didn't play too badly but I think we've established that he can't play into the wind....:LOL:
Parp
🙄

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Broke 80 on the heath, despite having the most amazing mud ball shot. Huge clump on right hand side of ball. Creamed a 3 wood out of semi rough which started off straight at green and then went left like a boomerang. Must have gone 50 yards left before it smashed into the trees. Never seen anything like it in all years been playing.