I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just 9 holes but what happened on two par 3s, our 3rd and 6th holes, demonstrated the vagaries of golf. Both holes playing about 165yds and I played the same club. Pictures show where my tee shots finished.

View attachment 46467View attachment 46468

Thing is, the shot I hit on the 3rd (top pic) was nicely struck, nice swing but just dropped it a bit short and it plugged under the face; that on the 6th was a horrible shot from a horrible swing - to one foot.

And what lesson do I humbly offer from this?

I do not consider where I finished on the 3rd unlucky or a bad break; similarly I do not consider lucky or a good break where I finished on the 6th. In both cases the ball ended up where I hit it - I simply consider that I have given myself a difficult 2nd shot on the first par 3 and an easy 2nd shot on the second.

In accepting that as I hit both shots, I alone am responsible in each case for where the ball ended up. And with that acceptance I can cope all the better with situations like the first, not bemoaning my bad luck or the bunker, or whatever, but just get on with it knowing that the swings and roundabouts of golf will mean that I will sooner rather than later be facing a second shot like I had on the second.

Cos that’s golf.
Is that bunker one of those Eco bunkers with the artificial turf in?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is that bunker one of those Eco bunkers with the artificial turf in?
Yes. We have rebuilt every bunker on the course (but one) in this way - with the last being done at the moment. All new bunkers also built in this way. I love the visual (mental) and real challenge they present. Our pro makes a few bob running group bunker lessons :ROFLMAO:

And of course courtesy of a discussion and advice provided on here I was able to advise my club that we had to state that all new bunker faces were Integral Objects - no free relief...at first they weren't and the need to do so wasn't fully appreciated by the club,

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes. We have rebuilt every bunker on the course (but one) in this way - with the last being done at the moment. All new bunkers also built in this way. I love the visual (mental) and real challenge they present. Our pro makes a few bob running group bunker lessons :ROFLMAO:

And of course courtesy of a discussion and advice provided on here I was able to advise my club that we had to state that all new bunker faces were Integral Objects - no free relief...at first they weren't and the need to do so wasn't fully appreciated by the club,
They look OK, how long ago was that done now?

We are having to look at revetting orvat least partial revetting of the fairway bunkers since the course had a redesign. 30 less bunkers and all fairway are now waste area/sheep scrape type. Alas quite a few of these the sand is blowing out on windy days.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought you were and experienced golfer brian🤣 never expect to play well the next time you play after hitting it well, in fact if you have just had a great game expect to play like you have never picked up a Club before😂
It's what I'm expecting tomorrow 😁

Was back out today for 10, played pretty well, driving good, irons 50/50 and chipping excellent.
What a difference a day makes 🤣🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They look OK, how long ago was that done now?

We are having to look at revetting orvat least partial revetting of the fairway bunkers since the course had a redesign. 30 less bunkers and all fairway are now waste area/sheep scrape type. Alas quite a few of these the sand is blowing out on windy days.
The one in my photo was done winter programme 21/22. We started the rebuilds maybe 4yrs ago. Our intention is consistency and to minimise maintenance - the greenkeepers experience of the test bunkers that were built by the company on our practice chipping ground prior to commencing the rebuild programme is that indeed the maintenance they require other then tidying up the sand is very significantly reduced.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out late morning....a real game of 2 halves
4 bogeys and a double on the front 9 (+6)
2 birdies and a bogey on the back 9 (-1)
And you know you're getting better when you shoot 76 (+5) and your handicap goes up:LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Oh, and I hit a 310 yard drive today...reduced a 440 yard par 4 to a drive and a wedge...:cool:

OK, OK it was downhill with the wind behind....suppose I should mention that....:whistle:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
16 holes on “wellness Wednesday” and still hitting the ball well.

Didn't bother keeping score but probably finished 6 over

For the 2nd 9 I was just hitting my 4 iron on the longer holes for a change.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Clocked off early yesterday and managed the first post-work holes of the year.

Played alright, irons and wedges were as good as I've played especially considering the wind. Driving was a bit iffy but I put that down to the driving range, I generally tend to spray it around a bit after a few driving range sessions before it tightens up once I'm on course a little more.

Highlight was a 150 yards shot from the fairway bunker on the 16th. After a little consideration as to whether I could get it over the lip or not I decided to go for it with an 8iron - i lost it after I struck it and had no idea where it had gone so was scanning all over looking for it. As I approached the green I found this:
20230216_081725.jpg

I felt like Fitzpatrick in the US Open!

Missed the putt obviously but followed it up by driving through the green on the 17th and getting up and down for birdie.

Good to be back out!