I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to Wexham Park with the wife. We decided to play the blue course this time - they're doing a lot of reconstruction work so it's temporarily shorter with some temp holes. At around 4200 yards I thought it would be perfect for my wife to have another go at 18 holes. Unfortunately the temp holes were really crap so I felt charging £26 was a bit rich, but here we are.

I played quite well, much better than yesterday. I did blob the third but it was one of the God awful temp holes - hitting off a mat to a narrow fairway with absolute garbage all down the right - lost my ball over there and just moved on to the next. Other than that though I didn't have any doubles even - one birdie (on SI 1 no less), five pars and 11 bogeys for a round of 78. The par is only 65 so can't really count it as breaking 80, but still 38 points so a good round. Putted so much better, on greens that were baked hard and rapid.

Wife played ok - she was grumpy because she wasn't hitting her driver as well as usual, but hit hybrid and irons well enough to get it round ok. She knocked in some nice putts too. Ended up with 114 for 33 points (off 45). Pretty decent, just three 9's on the card that spoilt it slightly.

Are they still reconstructing? That seems to have been going on forever? What combinations are they looking at? Is there one 18 hole course now or will it combinations of 9's. Any chance that crappy range will ever get a face lift?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Team Open at Longcliffe today, a course that I've wanted to play for a while as its regarded as one of the best two courses in the county (Leicestershire). Course was nice and would happily play again, although found the greens a little on the slow side. We started well with 44 points for the first nine. Score was consistent at around 5pts per hole, until our 16th & 18th where we got our only two 3pt holes. We finished on 85. Was surprised that the winning score was only 88 and how close we were to that especially with our poor finish.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are they still reconstructing? That seems to have been going on forever? What combinations are they looking at? Is there one 18 hole course now or will it combinations of 9's. Any chance that crappy range will ever get a face lift?
I don't know much about it other than what's on the website. It's been over two years now I think. They still have the green course nine-hole which is on the other side of the road. Half the old 18 has been bulldozed though essentially. Building a "brand new championship course" apparently. Driving range is closed as well so I guess they're using the land from where that was.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know much about it other than what's on the website. It's been over two years now I think. They still have the green course nine-hole which is on the other side of the road. Half the old 18 has been bulldozed though essentially. Building a "brand new championship course" apparently. Driving range is closed as well so I guess they're using the land from where that was.

One of the guys in our roll up is a past captain but has had Covid and been away so I'll ask him next time I see him and see what he knows if anything

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Southport and Ainsdale yesterday. Mixed Comp. We played with a nice older couple, but, well you knew it was coming, but as nice as he was, he played off 3 and lord in heaven was a bit of a pain. Why? Glad you've asked. Don't stand there you're in my eye line (on the tee), I was stood where I normally would stand and have never been asked to move. He NEVER took a shot whilst any of us were moving on the course, even if we were miles away. He took ages over his putts, then would walk over to his wifes putt and work that one out as well, she never got a one. The best was saved until last. He's off the to the side of the green for two, I was next to him, and was waiting for my wife to stop moving over the other side of the green with her trolley. When she did stop, dead still like a statue coz we'd learn this bit, she was in line with the flag, over half a mile way!, Well maybe a bit closer, but you get the idea, so I had to wave her to move. All this, and they weren't even in with a shout.
Now then us. I was brilliant apart for a few holes. Got a birdie, wahooo. The wife had a birdie putt on a par 5 and should have got it but it stopped on the lip of the cup. The best was the 18th. I hooked my drive to lord knows where, at the time, and set off over the dunes to find it sat close to the first green. I clipped a 7 iron to just short of the green, putted on, and two more putts saw another two points on the card. LOL We have 40 points. Great golfing day. Lovely course. Smashing greens, hey there....well you know which place. And to top it all, a brilliant CAR PARK !:)

Oh and 48 points won it. Good grief. :eek:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Dunstanburgh Castle on Sunday in what I'm guessing was a 25-35mph wind. For reference I nailed a drive into the wind that went 220 (found the fairway as well) and with the wind my longest drive was 315. Had to lay up on the last as it was 185 to carry the water but I had nailed a drive that went 215, didn't have a club to carry 185. :ROFLMAO:

We played a friendly doubles match which ended all square. Think I had 27 points which may have been the best of the 4.

First time playing it and it was lovely, even with the wind. Greens were in great condition and I found them tricky as they wouldn't hold any shots so you had to land them short which I'm not used to. Some fantastic scenery as well, the beach and castle are a great backdrop. Was disappointed with my choice of attire as it was sunny when I left the house so decided to wear shorts. Go there and the sun disappeared on the back nine and with the wind it felt pretty cold. Was also disappointed that by the time we got into the clubhouse (around 4pm) there was no hot food left, only cold sausage rolls.

Overall though, great day out and I should play it some more as it's only a 40 minute drive from my house.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played Dunstanburgh Castle on Sunday in what I'm guessing was a 25-35mph wind. For reference I nailed a drive into the wind that went 220 (found the fairway as well) and with the wind my longest drive was 315. Had to lay up on the last as it was 185 to carry the water but I had nailed a drive that went 215, didn't have a club to carry 185. :ROFLMAO:

We played a friendly doubles match which ended all square. Think I had 27 points which may have been the best of the 4.

First time playing it and it was lovely, even with the wind. Greens were in great condition and I found them tricky as they wouldn't hold any shots so you had to land them short which I'm not used to. Some fantastic scenery as well, the beach and castle are a great backdrop. Was disappointed with my choice of attire as it was sunny when I left the house so decided to wear shorts. Go there and the sun disappeared on the back nine and with the wind it felt pretty cold. Was also disappointed that by the time we got into the clubhouse (around 4pm) there was no hot food left, only cold sausage rolls.

Overall though, great day out and I should play it some more as it's only a 40 minute drive from my house.
What did you hit on the short par 3 towards the castle..?
Would love to play there one day, walked through it twice going to the castle...

Springveldt

Visit site
What did you hit on the short par 3 towards the castle..?
Would love to play there one day, walked through it twice going to the castle...
We stupidly played from the whites as well. Asked if it was ok before going out as some courses don't let you.

I hit a PW. Wind was out the north so it was playing downwind. Had 124 to the pin but I blocked/pushed/thinned it right into the field. :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We stupidly played from the whites as well. Asked if it was ok before going out as some courses don't let you.

I hit a PW. Wind was out the north so it was playing downwind. Had 124 to the pin but I blocked/pushed/thinned it right into the field. :ROFLMAO:
I bet there's dozens in that field....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
After a few weeks off, I played a few holes today along with my nephew. Surprised myself by scoring an eagle 2 at our second hole after duffing my drive, then holing a 3 wood.
Then a birdie 2 at our 8th hole, must be the warmer weather.
Happy days.:love:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
El Plantio today - 10 minutes from Alicante airport if you are in the area. Society day, 1st time I've played in months so wasn't expecting to uproot any trees. Did Ok, hit the ball well off the tee, putted pretty well. Had a two so 45 euros came my way for that.

Short game needs a huge amount of work though, anything less than 50 yards in and I'm struggling.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Did you notice the wooden beach huts on Embleton Bay, they can be seen from the 5th and 6th if I remember correctly. The link is to an article regarding one that was for sale back in 2021. Very desirable.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...surfs-up-unique-northumberland-beach-20651349

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
El Plantio today - 10 minutes from Alicante airport if you are in the area. Society day, 1st time I've played in months so wasn't expecting to uproot any trees. Did Ok, hit the ball well off the tee, putted pretty well. Had a two so 45 euros came my way for that.

Short game needs a huge amount of work though, anything less than 50 yards in and I'm struggling.
You don't need a good short game, when you can hole out from 200 yards :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played last night. Decided to hit some balls on the range before and wish I hadn't. Most shots off the heel and couldn't work out why no matter what I did, I'm usually able to fix this issue. Golf was poor especially the back 9.hit a shocker off 16th tee way right. Gone from hitting well a couple of weeks ago to very poorly. Going to pop in and see my pro on the way to caddying today.

Springveldt

Visit site
Did you notice the wooden beach huts on Embleton Bay, they can be seen from the 5th and 6th if I remember correctly. The link is to an article regarding one that was for sale back in 2021. Very desirable.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...surfs-up-unique-northumberland-beach-20651349
Yes, we were talking about them as we walked past. One of them is more like a house than a hut, it was a decent size. Thought they would be stupidly priced but that article is nuts. £140K and only an 11 year lease with no guarantee of it being extended for a glorified shed, you'd have to be mental to buy that.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and it was awful golf all round. Garbage off the tee (lost 3 balls), hit nearly every iron fat, hit 1 green in regulation, chipping was atrocious but putting was pretty good. Shot a 90 for a net 83 and can't even use conditions as an excuse as they were great. Had a 9 on one hole where I hit it into the trees in an area that had loads of broken branches and boughs, had to take an unplayable but had nowhere really to drop that gave me a path out. Next shot hit more trees and ended up in another unplayable to finally get it out and laying 5 right next to my provisional.

I hope things can only get better from here as that wasn't fun at all.