I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

phillarrow

Visit site
Played 12 holes this afternoon, scoring 26 points, including a run of four pars - one of which was on SI1!
Short game and putting still hit and miss but that will be my focus over the spring.

On a separate note though - for the second round running, I had to pick up balls of tin foil that had been dropped by someone who obviously thinks it's okay to have their butty and then not bother to take their litter home. ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Nine of Herts with the wife and a mate. Very muddy and damp there still in places, but we just played pick and place everywhere to compensate somewhat. Greens were very sandy and bobbly too so putting was a bit of a lottery. She played decent though after a slow start blobbing the first two holes, she hit some good drives, and a few decent strikes with the new hybrid, she ended up with 17 points which was nice (getting 3 shots per hole). I doubled the first but decent after that, ended up 6 over par for 19 points. I changed my driver from 11.5° back to 10.5° just because I'd hit some unusually high spinny ones yesterday which I figured would just plug on the soft course. First two drives were awful (but a fat and a pull so nothing to do with loft!) but after that - it didn't seem to make any difference. Hit a couple of good, straight ones to set up pars. Probably leave it on 10.5 for next weekend and see how it goes.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
After the success of my first comp yesterday I decided to give the extra stablefords a go this morning (to the misses displeasure).

Played as a four ball with 3 others who have played together for over 20 years. They invited me to play a pairs match for £1 which I was more than happy to do.

After some poor play from myself I wasn’t scoring many stableford points and the only good thing about it was my PP was pulling his weight.

Walking up to the 5th hole two of the guys mentioned about some sort of side bet thing. We all had to pick 3 holes each and the person with the best points wins a fiver, no rollover if drawn. Also if anyone gets a birdie it’s £2.50. The 4th guy didn’t participate and was happy to sit it out only playing the pairs.

Some good banter got going, mainly because they thought they had reeled me in like a fish and thought Christmas had come early. It was getting a little bit serious at this point because there was quite a lot to take in. I was literally just going with the flow and the game all of a sudden seemed a lot more intriguing.

Needless to say I blobbed the next two holes and me and my PP were 1 hole down. They were in my head and I’m all over the place.

I quite seriously , and cockily decided I had to save face and came out with ‘don’t worry, I’m a pressure player’ to which they all thought I was some sort of comedian.

Up steps the first of the ‘money holes’ next. Par 5 hole 8. This tee box btw is also played with hole 4 and it’s surrounded by two greens just off so A LOT of traffic is around here as it connect the 4 holes. A lady come over who were friends with my PP’s and decided to have a quick chat.

I step up first and absolutely melt my drive, got some good cheers and it was lively (I think the 4 ball putting on the green near us took it well considering the noise). The lady gave me a smile and I walked off the tee feeling like King Kong. I must have got in their heads because the next 3 didn’t hit the fairway. Needless to say I won that hole and I was ‘back’.

Next few holes were awful again until the all the ‘money holes’ which I seemed to turn up on. Every money hole now i would remind them that I was a pressure player and they were a little bit quieter this time round.

Short Par 4 hole 16 up next (my favourite hole) - Temptation Island. It plays 270yards but have to carry 250 over the lake (played for the first time yesterday on white tees and hit the bank and rolled 10ft short of the lake). They have all laid up. I’ve melted it 20ft from hole and just rimmed my eagle putt. I was keen to finish my 2ft birdie putt but I’ve had an absolute mare. That moment will probably haunt me for however long I’m a member at the club. The ‘banter’ was unreal. I can dish it out so I really had to take that one.

I’m reminded another of the side bets is if you get birdie it’s £2.50 each off them. No doubt PP steps up for his birdie and sinks it from 25ft. Evidently the highlight of his day considering I had just missed a 2 footer. Nice scenes.

Ironically it was my worse scoring gross round for over 6 months. I finished up on 104 with 25 points. However we finished the 18th having shook hands having won the pairs and I won 6 money holes giving me a grand total profit of £22.50.

I politely asked to have a picture with them to save as a momento to which they agreed. But only if I held my putter in my hand. Lol. Great bunch!

Been out all day, misses not talking to me, got a bit of making up to do now ???

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a mixed greensome at ours today, I become Lady captain at the end of March and I played with the guy who become Club Captain I haven't played with him before so it was a pre season practice.
We didn't do too badly, although I played a few shots from strange places but I cannot moan too much as I hit one out of bounds. He has a course handicap of 16 so it was nice to get a few more shots than with my normal mixed partner.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Royal St George's today with @evemccc .Bright blue skies, and the wind really started to blow on the back 9.

30 points was ok, and echo the comment above about it feeling like the "first proper round" of the year.

Full brekky in the clubhouse before and a steak for lunch too. There are worse ways of spending a Monday!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Quick 9 before work
Was able to take the trolley out for the first time in a while..just in time for it to start raining again this afternoon so we'll be back on carry only tomorrow
Nothing spectacular today..a few pars, a couple of bogeys and a birdie...
Need the weather to change....

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
After living round the corner for my first 25 years, and then only 30 mins away the last 6/7 years, I've only just today played Piltdown for the first time. What have I been missing! Sadly I forgot to take any golfing ability with me, amassing 10 points on the front 9! pulled it back together a bit for 26 on the back, but blimey I'm looking forward to going back. And trying to avoid the heather...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Quick 9 before work
Was able to take the trolley out for the first time in a while..just in time for it to start raining again this afternoon so we'll be back on carry only tomorrow
Nothing spectacular today..a few pars, a couple of bogeys and a birdie...
Need the weather to change....

Will you really go back to carry only. Hardly ark building rain forecast and getting better later in the week?

Imurg

Visit site
Will you really go back to carry only. Hardly ark building rain forecast and getting better later in the week?
We only came off Carry only on Saturday
Water table is so high that any rain is likely to linger..and its been coming down since about 4 here with no sign of a let up.
I'll be surprised if it's not carry only for the rest of the week...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We only came off Carry only on Saturday
Water table is so high that any rain is likely to linger..and its been coming down since about 4 here with no sign of a let up.
I'll be surprised if it's not carry only for the rest of the week...

My course although clay soil was actually quite dry over the weekend. Pleasantly surprised to be honest. Rain due for the next few days so that may change but those strong winds last week actually did the course a favour and helped dry it

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was going along quite nicely this morning, hitting everything well but not sinking any putts, until disaster struck.

Hit my best drive of the day on 14, in a lovely position for an 8 iron to the green, then from nowhere, I totally shank it into the trees, never to be seen again. Totally threw me. Then did the same again on the par 3 15th. Head was totally gone. Hacked my way round for the remaining holes.

No idea where those shanks came from as I'd been hitting my irons well. Am trying to blot out those 2 horror shots and reminding myself of the excellent irons I played beforehand.

AliMc

Visit site
Beautiful day at Dunbar today, all sun and little wind, round in level for a 1 up win in 4bbb, greens much quicker today, they were actually using hoses in a few places to water the greens after putting some fertiliser down, the mats should be coming off and the white tees put back next Monday

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got a tee time booked for tomorrow at 4pm - not expecting to get much more than 9-11 holes in. No-one in my group wants to play so just going out on my own. Will probably have the course to myself as the last 4 ball is off at 1:30 and then the only other booking apart from mine is at 5pm.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got a tee time booked for tomorrow at 4pm - not expecting to get much more than 9-11 holes in. No-one in my group wants to play so just going out on my own. Will probably have the course to myself as the last 4 ball is off at 1:30 and then the only other booking apart from mine is at 5pm.

Depends how cloudy it is. I wouldn't rush and take the opportunity to have a quiet course to work on the game. Maybe some pitching and chipping on a few holes

Imurg

Visit site
As predicted we're back to carry only..and the next few days aren't going to change anything.
Another steady 9, had plenty of time so hit plenty of shots.
Need this weather to back off.....

D

Deleted member 16999

Lovely 18 holes this afternoon, light winds, best day for a week or two, course very quiet so took the opportunity to play a 2nd ball on a few holes. Some good, some rubbish, probably 7 out of 10 overall.

putterman60

Visit site
My restart at golf continues
Ok so i only went to my local pitch and putt today but practicing my grip etc

on Thursday weather permitting i`m going to venture here , i have done the golfing etiquette and checked dress code etc
the reviews say ideal for practice
And i have bought i driver which i will use on the 8th ,hopefully the ball wont go 306 yds to the right lol

wish me luck :)

Attachments

• score.jpg
    score.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 15
  • score2.jpg
    score2.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 15

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Beautiful day at Dunbar today, all sun and little wind, round in level for a 1 up win in 4bbb, greens much quicker today, they were actually using hoses in a few places to water the greens after putting some fertiliser down, the mats should be coming off and the white tees put back next Monday
Que a cold snap then?