I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nine holes off the yellows - 19 points but was flying. Nearly eagled our second (2 foot short) and ticking along. Dropped silly shots at 7 and 9 but really happy. Need to work on short game again and putting (putting green closed) so a bit of a challenge

phillarrow

Visit site
Nine holes off the yellows - 19 points but was flying. Nearly eagled our second (2 foot short) and ticking along. Dropped silly shots at 7 and 9 but really happy. Need to work on short game again and putting (putting green closed) so a bit of a challenge

I was about to write about how my game went today... but it was basically this! (Except I played 17 holes for 38 points)
Same problems as you though and our putting green is also closed.
I REALLY need to work on my game from 75 yards in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Decent day at Nairn, slow dave was a no show due to one of his daughters testing positive for covid last night, so only 3 of us. Windy and chilly to start but warmed up on the back 9. Slow pace wise, 3 ball in front had lost a couple of holes on the 4 ball innfront of them by the turn, who happen to the slowest at the club from experience. Course in great condition considering the weather in the last week, but thing that's reared it's head again is all the new bunkers built by Mackenzie and Ebert were filled with water.. none of the original have even a puddle.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Back 9 before work today, touch of frost and a bit chilly but the sun came up and warmed thing nicely
Took the Legacys out again and, well, shot level par with 8/9 GiR...
Putting let me down but the greens haven't been ironed for a week due to them being so soft, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Got a feeling the Legacys may stay in the bag for a while....

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Played my first comp today which was brought forward a week earlier than expected. Played off 19.

Turned up hanging out my arse due to Frankie Allen comedy show last night. Paired up with a bloke off 4 (who took me under his wing) and two others who were off 15 and and 18.

Started front 9 as expected. Everything new to me due to white tees. Penalty on 210 yard par 3 for using my 5w (which I never use). Everyone thought I’d find My ball which we didn’t so had to take buggy up to the tee to play my provisional. Hit the green with my 5i and holed in for 5. The two next hardest holes i bogeyed. Very pleased with how that went.

Back 9 I got my first par on hole 10 after scrambling. I turned it on here and went shot for shot with the lad who plays off 4. Up until hole 16 which I blobbed!

Finished the round with gross 91 scoring 37 points and 4th out of around 70 in the pack.

One of the lads has already ask me to pair up with him in one of the major open tourneys (not got a clue about that). They think I’ll be in single figures soon. I was driving my ball further ( and better positioned) than the guy who plays off 4.

Absolutely buzzing for it. Playing another comp tomorrow. See how I play sober this time round. Still getting used to the distances off the white tees and my club selection 100 yards in.

Lots of banter afterwards. One of the blokes was nicknamed “flyer” which was explained afterwards in the bar that he’s chucked clubs in pretty much every water hazard on the course.

Nice to have finally found a home and made welcome by all my new ‘golf friends’

Good times and no doubt the start of a very exciting journey.

Edit: I forgot to add… the frost on all the greens during the front 9! Jesus. Never experienced playing on greens like this before

Last edited:

Mike79

Visit site
Pretty scrappy golf with the course (Foxhills Longcross) still very wet underfoot. Some improvements in the game, but still finding too many fats along the way which ends up with a few 7s on the card.

Both guys I was to play with today bailed yesterday. Played the 1st 9 solo but joined the group in front at the half way house. They are part of a swindle so may have an option going forward…

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Our course was closed again today so played 9 holes at a local pay and play, it was wet and boggy but was just keen to get out. Didn’t play great and probably a few over handicap and wasn’t particularly enjoying myself, all that was forgotten after a 1ft tap in for birdie on the par 4 9th!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Frustrating day. Played nine holes yesterday and hit it great. Warmed up well this morning and thought I was in for a good day. Stuck behind a frustratingly slow 4 ball (lost a hole after 3) who had no intention of letting us through. Let the slow play to get to me and lost interest and played crap. 26 points and couldn't do anything well. Let that go and try tomorrow

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I recently joined Royal St David’s as a distance member. Played it for the first time today in 20-30 mph wind and bright sunshine. 4 hour drive each way but so worth it, the course far exceeded my expectations (garnered from YouTube reviews). The backdrop scenery is stunning, the castle. The mountains and the dunes, just gorgeous in the sunshine. I don’t know why but I was expecting the front nine to be a bit bland, but not at all like that. There are some lovely par 3’s out there and some very tough par 4’s in that wind. The last holes in from 15 are very tough. Didn’t play great, shot 87 in tough conditions with a crappy swing, but still sitting here with a big grin on my face, really glad I took the opportunity.

P.s. surprise of the day, only took 2hrs 40 mins to play 18 holes ??

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out this afternoon, first time since two Saturdays ago thanks to the weather. Started on the 8th and a nice up and down for par. Was going well until I had a shocker on the 16th - actually hooked the drive which is extremely rare for me, then was too greedy trying to hit hybrid back over the trees from a not-great lie - didn't work and I ended up blobbing the hole. Backed that up with a double bogey on the 17th as well after another ropey drive. After a great par on the 18th I doubled the 1st as well so fighting a losing battle after that. Only other poor hole though was the last (7th) with a disappointing double to finish. Ended up 86 for 34 points.

My distance putting was superb all day, none of them actually dropped though unfortunately, but not a single three putt. Slightly alarmed that I hit two pretty much shanks, both with the 56°, but both of them I had the ball back in the stance and I was really trying to get too many yards out of it. Thankfully the problem didn't persist with any other club. I got a bit tired near the end and my swing was going a bit, hard to describe but I felt like my arms were doing something weird that they don't normally do, resulting in some pretty dodgy shots. But then I went in for a pint and forgot about it. (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went to Tain today. Cracking weather though there was a bit of a breeze across rather than the usual. Hit it OK, hitvsome good iron shots, but didn't really hole any of the many birdie chances and the one I did get was a 2 put birdie after reaching the par 5 forth in two.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Won my 1st round match of summer singles handicap k/o. Played solid matchplay against a big hitting but a bit wayward 7 handicapper. Was being given 5 shots and used them all well. Decent mostly off tee, and some good short game saw me drop 8 over 16 holes towards a 2-1 win. Very pleased. Lovely day and opponent a really nice lad I haven't previously met.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
First round with the new taylomade stealth and it didn’t disappoint, including a 295 yard bomb down the 11th.

Consistent and overall very happy. Out in 40 and back in 40, putting much better despite the Woolley greens.

Only real blemishes were a double on 6 and a double on 14, mostly due to very poor lies.