I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Decided I needed some exercise and the rain had stopped so I went up to the club to play 9 at about 2pm...
Naturally I played all 18..would have been rude not to....
Didn't hit the ball particularly well but scored well, although I didn't keep score...
Hit several balls on some shots but always finished the first ball..score would have been 3 or 4 over or thereabouts
Barely anyone else on the course and nobody within 6 holes in front or behind....
No real storm damage, drying out nicely

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played 18 yesterday and 2 x front 9 today thanks to a bit of a lull at work, tested the Arccos sensors that came free with my irons before deciding whether to keep them. It's been super windy and not great conditions, but even taking that into account I have played really poorly in pretty much all facets.

Arccos isn't telling me anything I didn't already know but it is providing numbers which add a bit of starkness. Comparing me to a 14 handicapper (the arbitrary number Arccos reckons I can get down to in a year :rolleyes:), I lose ~13 strokes per round on driving, ~2 on approach, ~2 on putting and actually gain +1.5 on short game. I try and use a 3-wood and the number of times I'm 3 off the tee is embarrassing, I genuinely have no idea where it's going to go between straight and a huge slice right. I'm starting to try and fix it on the hoof just by trying things and its mentally starting to impact other areas which isnt great.

I've mailed my pro for some lessons focusing on this but, given our driving range is ~185 yards I won't be able to hit anything stronger than a 6i so it'll need to be an on the course lesson. I guess I might need to think about getting a few lessons somewhere else, get filmed and just figure out a method that keeps the ball in play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played 18 yesterday and 2 x front 9 today thanks to a bit of a lull at work, tested the Arccos sensors that came free with my irons before deciding whether to keep them. It's been super windy and not great conditions, but even taking that into account I have played really poorly in pretty much all facets.

Arccos isn't telling me anything I didn't already know but it is providing numbers which add a bit of starkness. Comparing me to a 14 handicapper (the arbitrary number Arccos reckons I can get down to in a year :rolleyes:), I lose ~13 strokes per round on driving, ~2 on approach, ~2 on putting and actually gain +1.5 on short game. I try and use a 3-wood and the number of times I'm 3 off the tee is embarrassing, I genuinely have no idea where it's going to go between straight and a huge slice right. I'm starting to try and fix it on the hoof just by trying things and its mentally starting to impact other areas which isnt great.

I've mailed my pro for some lessons focusing on this but, given our driving range is ~185 yards I won't be able to hit anything stronger than a 6i so it'll need to be an on the course lesson. I guess I might need to think about getting a few lessons somewhere else, get filmed and just figure out a method that keeps the ball in play

What are you off currently? You seem to be given so much away off the tee. I would be looking at somewhere and with someone that could give me a driver lesson and also sort the three wood out. That would seem to be the quickest fix to lowering the scores and handicap

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
What are you off currently? You seem to be given so much away off the tee. I would be looking at somewhere and with someone that could give me a driver lesson and also sort the three wood out. That would seem to be the quickest fix to lowering the scores and handicap

Off 29 at the minute. 3 off the tee probably somewhere between 3-6 times a round so definitely needs sorting ASAP. I'm in Woking so there shouldn't be a shortage of pros who can fix it.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Out in 41 with 3 doubles for 18 points
In in 40 with a triple for 18 points

Tee to green, fantastic but the putting woes continue. 10 of 13 fairways and 10 greens in reg….. 38 horrific putts.

I’ve bought an old ping Laguna for £20 that’s going to sort it all out. I’m done with expensive putters, they don’t work.

phillarrow

Visit site
Only 11 holes open at my course but we played them and then went back and played the first 5 again.
Hit the ball pretty well - apart from two total top shotsoff the tee - but my short game and putting were god awful. I find it really hard to be confident on and around the greens when the wind is up.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Couldn't go out first thing so decided to try after lunch..
Course was fairly busy but I got let through (eventually) and played 16.
It had got slow again and there was a group waiting to tee off kn 17 so I called it a day
Didn't play particularly well although I had my moments.
On being let through I heard a cracker which didn't really sink in until 10 minutes later when I realised what I'd heard.
2 slow 2 ball let me through on then2nd and then I got behind this even slower 3 ball.
Finally, as I played the 5th, one of them strolls over from the 6th and says....
"Sorry, we thought you were a 2 ball. Would you like to come through? "
So the implication is that had I been in a 2 ball they wouldn't have let us through....:ROFLMAO:
Quality....:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3432

Storm whatever its called today put the scuppers on todays tee booking. Worst weather of the last week or so today.

Too windy yesterday and the links was closed due to flooding. We have already cancelled for tomorrow as its 50 mph plus winds and snow showers.

Typical, Friday looks good when I have stuff on and its back in at work on Saturday :mad:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Winter Open at Royal Porthcawl today in 45mph winds. I say played, it was more of a fight. Thankfully bright sunshine nearly all day and the forecast hail seemed to go round.

course was in excellent shape. Bone dry fairways, greens were good, al a few has some signs of maintenance going on.

Best 2 from 4 team event. We made 70 points, 76 won, 73 was third. No iffy scores and decent playing in that wind. Waves crashing on the shore, very spectacular! Decent food after too, smashing folk working front of house.

Book early, it sells out!

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at West Hill .yesterday (a first visit - I took a slot in a society day when someone dropped out) . Absolutely lovely course ... even had reasonably decent weather after the torrential rain on the journey across to it had stopped. Did ok. Caught out a few times by not knowing the course, and unlucky a time or two when the wind didn't do it's job. (Plus a few downright awful shots of course). A definite "must" for a return. Although will be rather tougher when the heather starts growing again in Spring ...

Carlwm

Visit site
Had a quick scoot around my local nine hole course this morning and had a real shocker. Started with a quintuple bogie on the benign par four opener and while my scoring improved from there my ball striking didn't. Drives irons & wedges alike were almost all topped, duffed or mis-aimed. I even managed an air shot on one attempt at an approach. Appalling. Bizarrely enough, my putting was decent which meant I "only" ended up about one shot a hole worse off than usual by the end.

There are no extenuating circumstances. The course was in good nick, the weather was lovely and I felt good but I've not played that agriculturally since I was a complete beginner. Hope it all comes back, next time!

Boomy

Visit site
A fresh and beautiful morning out on the Silloth links today ⛳️ The wind picked up a bit towards late morning but was only 16-18mph so not a bother (and a nice tailwind coming home) It was blue skies and sunshine all the way round ? Lovely!

Photo taken after post game coffee refuel, when the cloud cover had came in (I was enjoying the golf too much earlier to take a photo ☀️?)

F4CC507E-38A5-4A17-A3D3-13BEE004C322.jpeg

D

Deleted member 3432

A fresh and beautiful morning out on the Silloth links today ⛳️ The wind picked up a bit towards late morning but was only 16-18mph so not a bother (and a nice tailwind coming home) It was blue skies and sunshine all the way round ? Lovely!

Photo taken after post game coffee refuel, when the cloud cover had came in (I was enjoying the golf too much earlier to take a photo ☀️?)

View attachment 41446

Cheers, had tee times booked Tues, Wed's and Thurs which were obviously binned with the weather and the one nice day I had stuff on ??

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks lovely. I'll be there in June!!!!!

Also....went to the club to hit some balls on the range
1. Because I've not hit a golf ball in three weeks
2. The course is still closed (hopefully will be open tomorrow if no rain)

and all was well.

Nice young lady two bays down was striping the ball miles.

Boomy

Visit site
Cheers, had tee times booked Tues, Wed's and Thurs which were obviously binned with the weather and the one nice day I had stuff on ??

Sorry ? It was stunning out there this morning, fresh, but beautiful blue skies and sunshine (sunglasses on) The greens were fast and running well too - a glimpse of summer ahead.

D

Deleted member 3432

Sorry ? It was stunning out there this morning, fresh, but beautiful blue skies and sunshine (sunglasses on) The greens were fast and running well too - a glimpse of summer ahead.
Doesn't make it any better ??

Next chance is Friday so ?