I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Wasn't expecting to get out before next week but at about 2pm the rain stopped, the wind dropped and I thought.. why not.
Only intended playing the front 9 and didn't expect many to be there..
Rolled up and there were 5 cars in the car park..1 guy had just finished, saw 1 out on the course and a 3 ball was getting ready for 9.
Jumped out in front of them and....it was , shall we say, mildly moist!
Fairways were firmish, greens were obviously soft but it was the rough that was very heavy going...
Wettest I've seen it and, in that rough, soft enough to be compared to a parkland course
So I didn't go there much...
Got round the 9 and I thought I might as well go on for a bit..
Managed 16 before darkness began falling and had 38 points......3 birdies and a double in there too...
That will be it now for a while..the high wi ds are coming in tomorrow and not letting up until after the weekend...more rain due tonight and over the weekend.
The course will be open but I can't see me going up until Tuesday earliest next week....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And as it happens the wind dropped again this morning..nowt but a 15mph with 25mph gusts...I can handle that!
Didn't see anyone else until I was on the 8th..and only saw a 3 ball on the 10th - just got to the tee before them and saw nobody else until I packed up after 15.
By then the wind was rising again and it started to become a chore.
Took the "Stenson" Legacy Black Vs out for a ride...Oh Boy are they nice....Still.. might use them a bit more often...
Was 4 under handicap after the 15th so going along nicely.
Thats definitely it now until Monday or even Tuesday but the course has dried out well....

Boomy

Visit site
Well that certainly blew the cobwebs off ?? A lovely bright day ? at Silloth.. made all the more fun by a 30+ mph wind fresh off the Solway and 50mph gusts. The 9th hole, playing 130 yards to the back white flag position, straight into the wind .. flat out 6 iron into the heart of the green ⛳️ then 3 putted ?
E53BB23B-1DC7-462C-A154-E97620D19B1E.jpeg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Out this morning, the course was drier than I was expecting, we might have been lucky here and missed most of the heavy rain so far.

Windy but I've played in worse, round was going okay until I blobbed 13 and 14, finished with 33 points, 89 gross.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Just got back from upchurch river valley near sittingbourne.

Course was pretty decent although a bit damp and there was “stiff breeze” which made things interesting.

Played ok in places for 33 points but more importantly I’m back in the winners circle after a 2&1 victory

The highlight was my PP getting us to play the 8th rather than 6th which resulted in a lost ball off the tee for me and somehow I managed to lose another one on the walk from the 8th back to 6th

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
33 points in a horrible cold wind this morning. Played very well in the main, but not helped by 2 drives resulting in lost balls, then one of our opponents pointing out my ball on one hole, me playing it, only to find out it wasn't my ball at all! Wasn't best impressed, but totally my fault for not double-checking.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Valentines Mixed over 15 holes , course dried up nicely overnight . One man one woman to count on each hole and we've come 2nd with 61 . I dropped 3 shots on the front 9 but birdied 11, 12 and 13 to finish level par. Greens were amazing , been mowed this morning and running well , best I've ever seen them in Feb.
Spoke with new course manger after and we've closed the course ahead of tomorrow's storm , will open in case we miss it but doubt it

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played a Society at Sandy Lodge today. Interesting layout, was closed yesterday and I can see why. Greens were awful, (ok it's February, I'm meaning compared with those ive played this year) no two the same... work in progress.

Still enjoyed the place, 32 points in a strong wind... as I didnt want to fight the M25 I didn't stay for the meal and presentation.

Will go back in the summer to see it in its normal condition.... special mention of the soup in half way house!! Excellent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played today was in 2 minds about doing so but given the weather forecast for the next few days did not want to miss out.

Yesterday I had a an iron and driver fitting session, I have not hit that many balls in a great many years.

Today - I was so worn out I hit the worst score of the winter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played today was in 2 minds about doing so but given the weather forecast for the next few days did not want to miss out.

Yesterday I had a an iron and driver fitting session, I have not hit that many balls in a great many years.

Today - I was so worn out I hit the worst score of the winter.

At least you had a good excuse. What clubs are you getting

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
El Plantio yesterday - great value course if you ever want a round in the Alicante area without spendning a fortune. 1st few greens were a bit ropey, but after that the course was good.

Gave the youth a day off school as it was his 12th birthday and he was getting a new putter, so he could come along with the society for the day.

I played Ok, but couldn't get a score going. The boy got 36 points with 4 blobs - Bandit. Enough for 1st place with a few shots to spare. Highlight of his round was probably the 8th hole, 420 yard par 4, which he hit the green in reg then knocked it down in 2 from about 50 feet for a very solid par.

"most fun I've had playing golf dad" = that's all that matters son.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Once more I am the man. The fiddle lads decided to play pairs today. Best score from two on each hole. Both to score on the Par 3’s with a nearest the pin on the par threes. second par three I drilled a 3 wood into the wind and won nearest the pin. 21 points on the front nine. 3 rd par 3, my PP Jimmy won the nearest pin. Back nine we smashed it for 26 points. All in all we walked away with £24 each. Joking aside it’s just nice to be hitting the ball well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played rubbish, and off forward tees with CR 2 under ‘par’ I find my HI goes up by 0.4 as I lost a ‘goodie’ and my CH goes up 1. Funny old system but so be it as I get the rationale for it and how it works. As a result I give 1 shot less to my opponent in my winter singles KO QF…a good thing as the shot was on our tough 200+ yd par 3 15th.

That said it shouldn‘t be hard for me to put another card in before we play and see that reversed. But that will be my choice…of course I will…as if I’d ever manipulate my hcap.

Last edited: