I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still not playing to where my handicap suggests I should be playing but starting to see some improvement with a 12 over on Thursday and 13 over yesterday (both scores actually counting in my best 8 having knocked out one very low round).

One of the joys yesterday was getting round in less than three and half hours on a Saturday morning. We had one of the slowest players in our group with us and we gave him the real hurry up. It is getting to the point where some just do not want to play with him and every body lately is giving him the hurry up and he has started to listen.

D

Deleted member 29109

Played in the Stableford yesterday. I don’t usually bother as it’s touch and go whether we get round before dark.

When I signed up in the morning the weather was ok. By the time we teed off it was blowing 20mph with gusts even higher and my back was giving me grief.

Played the first 4 holes well, then fell apart to the turn thinning or topping quite a few shots finishing with 12 points. Steadied the ship somewhat (apart from taking 4 to get down from 30yards on 11) coming home in 17.

It’s tough going when chips and putts are being blown off line. But despite finishing with 29 points (89 gross) I only lost one ball, and was only 5 points behind the winner.

Taking the positives I struck some really nice irons and the new swing occasionally felt ok when I wasn’t being blown over.

D

Deleted member 23270

Been shooting 1, 2, 3 over par every round for the last couple of weeks without holing any putts. If my putter warms up it will turn into 68s and 69s but no doubt hot putter = driver or irons going awol ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Managed to get 18 in before the rain this morning , nice solid level par

Yesterday was a winter scratch foursomes match at an away club , built on the side of a hill , long slog , hard to get a flow going but we managed a half

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
What a difference a week makes.

Timing much better today, and knocked it round in a gross 73 in the medal, which beats my previous best medal score of 79 quite comfortably. Shaved the hole on 3/4 putts, but equally holed some long ones you wouldn’t expect to so that probably equalled itself out. Driver was really on form which made the round so much easier.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was due out at 8.45 and really didn't fancy that wind and rain. More than happy with the overall performance yesterday and still stuff to work on at the range this week but no point getting blown about and wet for the sake of a few quid in the roll up

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Good news bad news. Played ok for 38 points including 20 points on the back nine which plays much harder than the front. Changes from the lesson on Thursday worked pretty well although I did get twitchy over the last few holes knowing I might be in contention. In the end I came second in my division but won the swindle so will have a tidy pick up and some pro shop vouchers. The bad news was I didn't score on the par five 5th despite being in the greenside bunker for three. Had I made par I'd have won division too

Hit it nicely and putted well after putting my Ping Cadence Anser back in the bag. Swing changes very comfortable but need to have trust in it, especially under pressure as I nearly made a hash of the last by early extending which is what I am trying to eradicate
Do you find switching between putters helps? Apart from the odd hot streak I’m struggling with pace control. I know it’s 100% mental but maybe a shiny new putter will help with a mental reset….

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always had an Anser (an original Anser 2 c1981 which I am getting reshafted and if I can ever find a PP61 grip - regripped to start using again) and so love the style. I love the feel of my milled Odyssey Protype #9 but I am struggling to hole out from 3-5 feet which is why I went to the 2 ball. I want to get back to playing like a kid in 2022 and so loose all my mental scarring about the short game, not worry about technique on the course and putt with freedom like I did when I was 16 (and decent). As a result I am going to stick (well try) to the Anser. The only downside is the Cadence has a blue face and whit pain and the paint is chipped and I find it really off putting at times. Might have to look out for a second hand or cheap milled faced Anser

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cold, wet and windy. Extremely wet under foot. Team stableford comp where you can have a hole off every now and again so was good fun. Working Monday to Friday means that I have to play at the weekend whatever the weather, so no point moaning about it, just cover up and get on with it, and at the very least enjoy the company and beer afterwards!

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday and was expecting a bit of a come down after the 73 last week but managed to shoot a 76 for 37 points in pretty blustery conditions. I could have actually scored better as I missed 3 putts from within 4 foot, pretty sure the wind moved one of them and I was also 3 off the tee after carving one miles right trying to cut the corner on 8. My miss with the driver is normally left so was surprised to see it sail off right.

Wedges were great apart from a chunked pitch on the first. 50 yard pitch which I chunked 20 yards but then hit the next pitch to 5 feet to save par.

Really excited for the new season with my current form. Feel like I’ve lost a bit of distance even taking the conditions into account but my bad hits and misses are usually not putting me it trouble. Hope it continues.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Little bit or a rant here as I played on Saturday in a Cross Country Texas Scramble, unfortunately our 4th player (my dad) couldn't play as he's got COVID (fortunately he's still in good health). It was only a 10 hole competition, but the way the shots given & number of tee shots you had to take just didn't work.
It was 10% of your combined handicaps for a 4 ball & 15% for a 3 ball which I think is fine but you got your full allowance for 18 holes. My team had playing handicaps of 3, 4 & 13 so we got 3.0 shots, the team that won got I believe had 8 shots (maybe a little more) so they must have had a combined playing handicap total 80 or more. Now you would think that as it's only a 10 hole competition you would then take the shots received divide by 18 holes & multiply by 10 holes (total number of holes played) so our team would receive 1.7 shots & the winning team would receive 4.4 shots but no it was the full allowance.
It was also 2 tee shots to count for the 4 balls with 2 spares whereas we had to take 3 tee shots each leaving only 1 spare, in all honesty this didn't affect our team but the number of shots certainly did.

We knew we didn't stand much of a chance so we went out to have some fun & fortunately we finished just before the heavens opened up for the rest of the day. Now for the blow my own trumpet bit; I played really well taking almost all of the second shots I played, I hit one hole in 2 shots that was an extended version of our only par 5 playing 550 yards uphill under soft ground conditions. If you've seen any of my threads in the "I had a lesson today and" thread you'll see that I've been making some pretty significant changes to my swing over the last month or 2 & my playing partners both mentioned how my ball flight has changed & is much more penetrating than it used to be.

It was also the first time I'd taken my new Stealth driver out on the course & it seems to have the perfect ball flight & seems really forgiving for what is a low spin driver. I hit one that was right out of the bottom of the club that didn't seem to spin up the way my old driver would have, having seen Matt Blois latest driver review confirmed what I saw on the course.

I'm glad I play this game as other than seeing my boys it's the only thing that keeps me moving forwards.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Little bit or a rant here as I played on Saturday in a Cross Country Texas Scramble, unfortunately our 4th player (my dad) couldn't play as he's got COVID (fortunately he's still in good health). It was only a 10 hole competition, but the way the shots given & number of tee shots you had to take just didn't work.
It was 10% of your combined handicaps for a 4 ball & 15% for a 3 ball which I think is fine but you got your full allowance for 18 holes. My team had playing handicaps of 3, 4 & 13 so we got 3.0 shots, the team that won got I believe had 8 shots (maybe a little more) so they must have had a combined playing handicap total 80 or more. Now you would think that as it's only a 10 hole competition you would then take the shots received divide by 18 holes & multiply by 10 holes (total number of holes played) so our team would receive 1.7 shots & the winning team would receive 4.4 shots but no it was the full allowance.
It was also 2 tee shots to count for the 4 balls with 2 spares whereas we had to take 3 tee shots each leaving only 1 spare, in all honesty this didn't affect our team but the number of shots certainly did.

We knew we didn't stand much of a chance so we went out to have some fun & fortunately we finished just before the heavens opened up for the rest of the day. Now for the blow my own trumpet bit; I played really well taking almost all of the second shots I played, I hit one hole in 2 shots that was an extended version of our only par 5 playing 550 yards uphill under soft ground conditions. If you've seen any of my threads in the "I had a lesson today and" thread you'll see that I've been making some pretty significant changes to my swing over the last month or 2 & my playing partners both mentioned how my ball flight has changed & is much more penetrating than it used to be.

It was also the first time I'd taken my new Stealth driver out on the course & it seems to have the perfect ball flight & seems really forgiving for what is a low spin driver. I hit one that was right out of the bottom of the club that didn't seem to spin up the way my old driver would have, having seen Matt Blois latest driver review confirmed what I saw on the course.

I'm glad I play this game as other than seeing my boys it's the only thing that keeps me moving forwards.

Nice, did you tee off on the 13th playing to the 14th Green??? That's 2 mighty blows.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Loads of rain yesterday so carry only today
CVG doesn't like to carry and there was a frash on his side of town causing chaos so he wimped out
Only planned to do 9 but got to the 10th and it was clear..well, it would have been rude not to...
Played decently, didn't keep score but I would only have been 3 or 4 over at most
Very sticky in parts of the course..long standing members are saying they've never seen the course this wet and some of them have been members for 50+ years..
More rain coming in tonight and stormy winds too...might not be able to go out again this week
When you get gusts of 40mph+ at Ellesborough the course becomes virtually unplayable...

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice, did you tee off on the 13th playing to the 14th Green??? That's 2 mighty blows.

No that would be huge (over 700 yards), if only hey. It was the 14th tee to the 5th green, it plays around 10 to 15 yards uphill in total so not a huge amount but still a little uphill.

We also played the 6th tee to the 7th green which was interesting threading a 3 wood second shot through the trees around the 6th green & 7th tee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Nairn this morning forcaste was poor, 90% chance of rain from 9am. Our first time was 9am. We got lucky not a drop fell while we were out. Stated to brighten up on the back 9 and warmed up a bit as well. Hit it OK, 4 birdies, but prob should have had a couple more, only one bogey, rest pars but the course was playing pretty easy as even more Gorse removed in the last couple of week, hardly any left now, Stark contrast to when I first joined.

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
9 hole par 3 this morning after a weekend on the beers in Cardiff for the rugby.

Not expecting much, but opened with a beauty of an 8 iron into a two club strong wind for an 8 ft missed birdie putt. Started with 3 pars, had a brain fart in the middle with some duffed chips for a criminal 5 & a 6 despite deccent tee shots, and then finished 2 bogeys, 2 pars with another close birdie putt on the last.

A real case of what could have been if a) my confidence and concentration on the chips had been there and b) the greens weren't quite so waterlogged even in windy conditions.

Frustrating but at the same time v satisfying as my iron play is as good as it has ever been......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the forecast this week I think a lot of us will be struggling to get a game. As a weekend golfer I am hoping the rain isn't too bad and the course holds up to be fully open at the weekend but I'm not holding my breath. The forecast for Friday looks grim and so I guess it depends how it copes. Winds for Saturday and Sunday still strong and more rain due Sunday. Considering playing the Saturday roll up and taking HID for a pub lunch instead of playing Sunday

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
With the forecast this week I think a lot of us will be struggling to get a game. As a weekend golfer I am hoping the rain isn't too bad and the course holds up to be fully open at the weekend but I'm not holding my breath. The forecast for Friday looks grim and so I guess it depends how it copes. Winds for Saturday and Sunday still strong and more rain due Sunday. Considering playing the Saturday roll up and taking HID for a pub lunch instead of playing Sunday

I've booked 3 hours on the indoor simulator, I was going to play 13 holes then go on the sim but as you say the weather looks awful so it may be the sim only this weekend.