I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 15344

winter league again today - 3 under par but lost on the 17th , it’s a tough school when giving so many shots ( 16 and 15 respectively today ) - birdied one hole and lost it ?. Think will be the last time I enter it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the wheels come off -
par birdie then absolute .....
53rd out of a field of 54
Started with a little contretemp with another player on the 3rd about him taking lift, clean and place when, in my clear view, he was 2 yards off the fairway then on the 4th somebody on the adjoining hole zooming past in a buggy, with a clear view of me in mid back swing.

At least the birdie was a 2 on the par 3.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I whimped out. Really strong wind and rain overnight and didn't have the stomach for the fight given I'm swinging it poorly anyway. Went up to the club for lunch and a hole host of tales of woe seemed to justify the decision. Enjoyed the lie in and bacon sarnie for brekkie as well.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Sadly got knocked out of the mixed pairs semi-final with my partner off 8, against a pair we had to give 10 shots to.
We were 3 down after 6, and then won the next three to go all square at the turn (which included an almost hole in one that pitched 2 foot from the pin before hitting the damn pin, but still finishing 2 foot from the hole!). 2 down standing on 17th, with shots for them on both 17 and 18. Won 17th and then I had a 5 foot downhiller to win the 18th. Duly sunk it to finish all square and extra holes. My partner and I were 5 under handicap gross for the round to that point, which shows how well they played!
Halved the first extra hole and I then proceeded to smash a 3 wood 40 yards past his drive. They finished about 10 yards short the green with their approach. My partner then thins her pitch off the back of the green from 40 yards out, the first shot she hit really badly all round. I've now got a nasty downhill chip and run almost the whole length of the green which I somehow stuck to 5 foot. Sadly, he chipped it to 3 foot and they had a shot, so game over.
Great company and a really enjoyable match. Just such a shame to have left some out there... and miss out on a hole in one!

Last edited:

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Played Saturday and shot 81, decided I'd do a General Play score yesterday as felt none of my previous 10 rounds were reflective of my current (4.9) handicap as I was shooting between 78 and 81.

I then proceed to play the best golf I've played for months and shoot 1 over gross 70!

Handicap now cut to 4.4 haha

1.JPG
2.JPG

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Saturday and shot 3 over 73 in pretty strong winds. Pity we have 2 greens currently on temps due to work being done as this was actually my lowest score ever.

Also played the front 9 in -2, again a first for me. I've never shot under par for 9 holes.

Only my 2nd round since the end of November with zero practice in between, gives me a load of confidence for the new season that I may be able to get my index down to 4.4 which is the aim.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A definite round of two halfs today. Played like a dream front 9, out in 40 which, other than a scruffy double on one of the par 5s, was pretty close to perfection by my lowly standards.

Back 9 the wind picked up, and it was a bit of a grind, back in 47 including one oob.

my tee shot on the 2nd, so close yet so far!

DDCF7823-1D9E-42BC-95C2-122C603C61A5.jpeg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played first thing, still a bit frosty in places but drying out nicely.
Played exceptionally averagely..very few decent shots and no decent length putts holed.
The greens on the front 9 ran fairly quick for the time of year but the greens on the back 9 seemed much slower...took 4 or 5 holes to get the pace and by then the damage had been done.
Out for a 9 hole solo tomorrow. A bit of practice needed......

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Stableford today, probably the best start I've ever made with 7 points after 2 holes. Completed the front 9 with 20 points and was going steady to the 15th when I had a long range birdie putt lip out and then missed the short par putt! Another shortish one missed on the 16th but I was on 37 points on the tee of the par 3 last where I get a shot.

Proceeded to put 2 balls in the pond and blobbed it. :eek:

Should still see a small HI cut to 11.0 though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played in the vets Stableford this morning, a lovely day after pulling out of playing yesterday with 40mph winds and rain. Went down the 1st with a great drive, misshit the 2nd gap wedge, saw it splash into the stream in front of the green and amazingly saw it next 12feet from the pin on the green ?

Otherwise a poor round for 32 points, but my regular pp won the comp

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crowded course & no Comp so played a Par/Bogie format. Got to 3 up after 8 & finished 2 up after 13...... then walked off due to things slowing down in front. Pleasant day but course took a lot of rain in last 24hrs.

Springveldt

Visit site
A definite round of two halfs today. Played like a dream front 9, out in 40 which, other than a scruffy double on one of the par 5s, was pretty close to perfection by my lowly standards.

Back 9 the wind picked up, and it was a bit of a grind, back in 47 including one oob.

my tee shot on the 2nd, so close yet so far!

View attachment 41018
Really unlucky, looks like it’s even ended up behind the cup.

For anyone wondering, that’s one of the temp greens I was talking about in my post a couple up. Our greens are better than that, honest. ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really unlucky, looks like it’s even ended up behind the cup.

For anyone wondering, that’s one of the temp greens I was talking about in my post a couple up. Our greens are better than that, honest. ?

Thought at first it was going to be one of those which look very close from the tee, but when you get there, it's about 10 feet past. This was about an inch and a half from the hole, directly behind the cup as you say. It was a beautifully hit 8 iron, probably the closest I'll ever get :confused:

Do have to say the course is looking great for this time of year, think we are in for a fantastic summer of golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was desperate for a hit today and sods law it was a nice morning and afternoon, but the car was in for its MOT, and didn't expect to get it back as it was also booked for a couple of other things to be done. Got the call all done early so headed up to the kings to play a few holes. Course deserted, but only time to.play a few so only took half set and driver. Played up to the 6th then planned to cut across from 7th to 16th, as I got to the green there was a guy coming down the 15th so rather than go against etiquette, I decided to play 8th then back down 16. Played a couple of balls onnthem too. Got to the 16th tee only to see the old boy still on the green. So had to wait, while he chipped a couple of balls from around the green then putted them out. Hit a good one onto the green, missed the birdie only to find him still not hit yet on 17th. Got to the tee, doesn't look at me then duffs one right into the water, then goes gets another ball and duffs one right while I'm standing there, off he trots to look for the 2nd one. Not a word or even a look
I should have just cut in before him, I'd prob have finished before he reached the 16th green??
So just walked in, life's to short?

D

Deleted member 16999

Millionaire’s Golf this afternoon, tee’d of at 1:20 and only saw 5 other people on the course, weather was very mild, light winds, probably best weather of the week looking at the forecast. 6 over, driving was best it’s been for a while. Walked off the 18th at 3:30.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Respectable 36 points today (79, +8) but incredibly frustrating
Pretty solid all the way round...bogeys at 10 and 11 due to bobbly greens was irritating
But the 18th was the most irritating
A decent drive, it's a par 5 and the 2nd shot is often a lay-up between 2 sets of bunkers leaving a wedge onto the green.
Hit my hybrid well and halfway through the flight we got a huge gust of wind which stalled the ball and it dropped onto the very top of the first bunker...another inch back towards me and it would have rolled into the bunker and been easier to hit..
I had one leg halfway down the bunker face, the other curled up under my chin and the ball about waist high...
Great..thanks a lot.....
Managed to connect with a 5 iron only to see it roll into a greenside bunker.
Got there and the ball has rolled to the back lip...no possibility of playing towards the flag..had to aim 90° right to leave myself a 20 footer which just missed.
A par would have equalled the scoring card dropping out of my 20, the bogey has put me up to 6.5..
Didn't really deserve that amount of bad luck on one hole but that's golf ....