I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had 9 holes around the Cameron course today with the doc using hickory clubs. Quite a nice morning, even manages 3 birdies, which is rare for hickory, a par is usually an achievement.

Did take some pics but they won't post.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got out for 10 holes as I had some OT in the bank.
Played nicely but had a full bag of irons 5-PW and Driver, 7wood crossover 3, plus 56 wedge and putter because I had been practicing.
Got a competition on Sunday and I was thinking I would just go Dr, 7w 6,8,PW , 56 and putter. Which is fine, but I might fill in the gaps with 7,9 irons and put the 5wood in - just in case they keep the tees forward on the par 5 and give me some opportunities up the long par 4 . Otherwise everything should be covered.
The most amusing part is I used the fairway mat 4 times in 10 holes , 2 of which were par 3s.. so I was missing the first cut, but getting away with it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh.
First lost ball was my opening tee shot.
Five more followed over the rest of the round.
A miserable 21 points but the weather was ridiculously mild.
Chipping and bunker shots were bob on, the rest of my game was absolute bobbins.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As good as I have played all year. 20 front nine and 19 back nine and I must of left 6 shots out there. My putting was quite good but they just did not drop.
highlight of the day I hit a 7 iron on our last, landed about 10 ft from the pin. I saw a bit of a divot fly through the air. Looked for it once the ball had landed. I couldn’t find it. Putted out. Got back to car to empty me pockets and somehow it had landed in me pocket. I had the giggles for a minute or two.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thought my 34pts off yellows today to be not too bad, not great but not too bad…and so felt OK about it…then found out that 47pts was in lead and you had to have scored 42pts to get in top ten…and no subsequent handicap adjustments for anyone…hmmph. My 34 was clearly relatively rubbish…?

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Got out early this morning at 8:30, started in light drizzle which was a bit miserable at times, but cleared up and was blue skies at the end. Wind was up throughout which made things a bit tricky though.

Started well, with two pars then a bogey on our 3rd after a topped drive. Really steady front 9 to be +5, only bad hole was our 8th which was a double bogey after a thinned bunker shot then couldn’t get up and down.

Back 9 didn’t feel like I played quite as well, but nothing worse than a bogey left me +5, for a +10 overall. Must have lipped out on 4 putts, if they’d have dropped it would have been a very good score.

New wedges felt nice, 56 feeling very good with the d grind.

No card in as I was playing alone, but it would have been another good cut, last 4 rounds have been 83,79, 82, 79 so the game is definitely getting better and more consistent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just one brilliant lesson this morning in which for the first time ever I started to understand the criticality and correlation of my shoulders at address to how I have been hitting the ball and how I can hit the ball. The difference between how I was swinging and hitting the ball at the start of the hour to how I was swinging and hitting it at the end was, for me, quite mind-boggling. A true epiphany. Now I have to see if I can do it myself as what I was doing to try a fix my issues and hit the ball as I wanted to hit it was pretty much exactly the opposite of what I should have been doing. Onwards and upwards. ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh.
First lost ball was my opening tee shot.
Five more followed over the rest of the round.
A miserable 21 points but the weather was ridiculously mild.
Chipping and bunker shots were bob on, the rest of my game was absolute bobbins.

My only saving grace was that I played with two really nice guys, and at least we had a bit of a laugh about it on the way round.
The number of times I turned a 3 pointer into a 2 was unbelievable.
Another round where I didn't make a single par.
That's the second round like that in about six weeks.
:cry::cry::cry:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with my usual 4 ball today later than we would normally. Out hearts sank as we watched 3 groups of the clubs slowest players tee off in front of us. Waited on evey shot and took a hour longer for our round than last Saturday.. we were a 4 ball and were waiting on 3 balls one of which had lost a hole on the 4 ball in front of them by the time they had even got to the 3rd and by the 10th had lost 3 holes.. they got moaned at by the group behind them... not that it made the slightest difference.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played with my usual 4 ball today later than we would normally. Out hearts sank as we watched 3 groups of the clubs slowest players tee off in front of us. Waited on evey shot and took a hour longer for our round than last Saturday.. we were a 4 ball and were waiting on 3 balls one of which had lost a hole on the 4 ball in front of them by the time they had even got to the 3rd and by the 10th had lost 3 holes.. they got moaned at by the group behind them... not that it made the slightest difference.
We had a 4 ball holding up the entire course yesterday....someone phoned the DofGolf and he came out and split the 4 ball up into 2 balls....we'd already decided to walk off but it did flow after that.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just one brilliant lesson this morning in which for the first time ever I started to understand the criticality and correlation of my shoulders at address to how I have been hitting the ball and how I can hit the ball. The difference between how I was swinging and hitting the ball at the start of the hour to how I was swinging and hitting it at the end was, for me, quite mind-boggling. A true epiphany. Now I have to see if I can do it myself as what I was doing to try a fix my issues and hit the ball as I wanted to hit it was pretty much exactly the opposite of what I should have been doing. Onwards and upwards. ?
Are you now swinger closer to Ben than Hulk?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Started badly and struggled to 14 points for the front 9. Then out of nowhere, it all fell into place, 22 points on the harder back 9 to end up with 36. Alls well that ends well I suppose!

AliMc

Visit site
We had a 4 ball holding up the entire course yesterday....someone phoned the DofGolf and he came out and split the 4 ball up into 2 balls....we'd already decided to walk off but it did flow after that.
We had a similar issue during the week, playing in a 4 ball behind a 3 then another 4 who had lost 2 holes by the time they had reached the 6th tee, one of my pp's, not a shy retiring type went over and had a quiet forceful word, they immediately speeded up, just shows that they were capable of playing at a decent pace but just fell into their usual slow motion ways

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Epic match in the foursomes cup second round yesterday. Our opponents were actually slightly younger than us which is rare, one of them off 11 and one off 22 - we gave them 2 shots.

They started on fire as they parred the first three holes, and we found ourselves 2 down. But we parred the 4th to win that and a great birdie on the 5th to take it back to all square. The 7th was their first shot hole - both teams were wild off the tee but made bogeys, so 1 up to them. Unfortunately we went through a bad spell on the next two, both par 5s, and lost both to go 3 down after nine holes.

Thankfully we made a nice par on the 10th to win a hole back, then on the 11th they duffed their tee shot, we should have won the hole but their 22 capper put a bunker shot to about 2.5 feet (if he's a 22 capper then I'm a Chinaman!) so we nearly lost it somehow! My mate made a good putt to save the half. The 12th is their second shot hole, and it's a long one but we knew we had to go for it. I hit the fairway off the tee, and my mate hit a cracking 5 wood to find the front edge. Opponents were just short of the green. Their chip was poor, and then they left the putt short whereas I hit mine a few feet past the hole. My mate sank another beauty for par and they double bogeyed, so we won their shot hole, which was huge obviously. Back to 1 down.

The 14th at the moment is a crappy little temporary par 3, hitting off a mat to a temp green, and it's so rubbish to have a hole like that at such a crucial point in the match, I must say. But no excuses, I hit a poor shot well right of the 'green', and my mate made a poor effort at putting across the fairway when he really should have chipped, so we were back to 2 down with four holes remaining. We played the long par 3 15th well though to win it with a bogey (it's 200+ yards with a hellish green so bogey is a good score really). Halve the 16th so we head into the last two holes knowing we need to win at least one of them.

My mate doesn't like the 17th but he has to tee this one off, I tried to convince him to hit hybrid but he only wants to hit 6 iron (my concern is that I wanted a shorter shot to the green). Luckily he hit it well and left me a 7 iron in which is the max that I really wanted to be hitting. I hit probably my best iron of the day and found the green. They didn't, so two putts and we've won that, back to all square with just the 18th to play. I hit a good drive, my mate was in a divot though - we thought he flown the green by miles somehow but were relieved to find it just off the back. I rolled it on and he has a two footer to win it for us. He's putted brilliantly all day, unlike myself - internally I'm already celebrating. He bottles it and tugs it an inch left! I was gutted for him and really hoping that didn't cost us the match. But fair play to him, we went onto the 1st again and he stepped up and hit a cracking tee shot onto the green. Their guy hit an awful slice well right and it was a formality from there. We won it on the first play-off hole, having never led for the entire 18 holes! We never gave up or threw the towel in so I'm so proud of us winning that one.

I know foursomes gets a bad rep, including from me in the past, but this was such a class match than I'm won over now. We do play so well as a team, our gross score was actually 80 so a pretty strong performance, having had to really dig in over that front nine. Bring on round 3!

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Second round of the Winter League, 4BBB Stableford.
I was playing the Mizuno White Fang 1 and 3 woods, Ben Sayers Mentor irons 2 to SW and the Edinburgh Golf Rapier putter.

We stormed the front nine for 23 points, I had two birdies, but then we no scored the 10th and never got back into gear after that, scoring 15 on the back nine for 38 total. :(
A wasted opportunity to put in a good card (best four from five rounds to count)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well
2 ball with little chubby Bro at Ellesborough this afternoon, supplementary cards in hands
Last week I had 20 on the front, today I had 21
Last week I had 13 on the back, today I had 19 for a total of 40 points, gross 95 and my first cut since my health issues 4 years ago. With a blob

Still left loads out there

Himself had 37 points thanks largely to 3 birdies and 10 points in 3 holes midway through the back 9.

One very satisfied Fragger ??