I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Stableford comp today, but of a tale of two halves again.

Out in 45 for +10 which included a triple on our tricky 2nd hole. Back in 37 for a +3 back nine. 82 in total gave me 38 points and was enough to be in the chocolates.

Drove the ball the best I can ever remember, but a few sloppy shots around the green and mis judged approach that led to an unplayable stopped it being much lower.

A bad round now feels like it’s in the low 80’s, so all in all pretty happy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Managed to get out for nine holes with the wife at Wexham green course this afternoon. I was knackered after not sleeping well and playing Sunday footy in the morning, but it was ever thus. First hole par 5 into the wind was a struggle so double bogey to start, but got a lovely birdie on the 2nd, couple of steady pars and bogeys, then the wheels came off at the 6th with a very tired drive sliced out of bounds and not-massively-better second effort which resulted in a 9. Tidy after that though, ended up with a nine over 41, seven of those going on two holes!

My wife played ok, she was trying out the new Taylor Made RBZ 7 iron that was very kindly sent to us by @SaintStu and my suspicions were correct, she found it quite a lot easier to hit than my mum's irons, so she really enjoyed it. She shot 64, it wasn't her best day but 4 shots better than the last time played that course so she was pretty upbeat about it. ??

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
oor
You should enjoy Reay hopefully the wind won’t be to bad, I walked with my misses on part of the course this summer on the way down to the beach, some stunning looking holes and I just had to walk up to stand on one of the parr 3 tees to admire the view. Oh how I wish I could have played that hole.

Let us know what you think of Reay ?

Yesterday we drove the 2 hours north from Dornoch to Reay, more in hope than anything. It had been blowing a hoolie all night and the forecast was bad for the morning. Unfortunately, when we got there, the wind was gusting in excess of 60MPH, it was almost impossible to get out of the car, let alone stand straight once we managed to keep the door open long enough. Such a shame because it is a really good looking course, at least from where we were able to stand and look. Will definitely go back again when the weather is better. Did have some stunning views out to sea on the drive up though, the sun was shining and the sea was amazing in the wind.

We drove back down to Brora, and despite the wind blowing and gusting well above 35MPH, it was way worse than Cooden was earlier in the year, we decided to try and play. Managed 11 holes, more for a bit of fun and just to play than anything else. Wind was way too strong to play really, still being blown over addressing the ball, balls being carried 50+ yards right of target in the cross wind, stationary balls on the centre of the green being blown 20 foot off the green, hitting full 7 irons into the head wind for a 50 yard "chip", watching it fly up and over the green, only to be brought straight back and drop short of the green :eek:o_O. Was an absolute lottery in terms of golf, although did somehow manage 4 pars and 5 bogeys. Despite the cold wind, it didn't rain, the sun came out, and had a lot of fun playing on a fantastic course.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
oor

Yesterday we drove the 2 hours north from Dornoch to Reay, more in hope than anything. It had been blowing a hoolie all night and the forecast was bad for the morning. Unfortunately, when we got there, the wind was gusting in excess of 60MPH, it was almost impossible to get out of the car, let alone stand straight once we managed to keep the door open long enough. Such a shame because it is a really good looking course, at least from where we were able to stand and look. Will definitely go back again when the weather is better. Did have some stunning views out to sea on the drive up though, the sun was shining and the sea was amazing in the wind.

We drove back down to Brora, and despite the wind blowing and gusting well above 35MPH, it was way worse than Cooden was earlier in the year, we decided to try and play. Managed 11 holes, more for a bit of fun and just to play than anything else. Wind was way too strong to play really, still being blown over addressing the ball, balls being carried 50+ yards right of target in the cross wind, stationary balls on the centre of the green being blown 20 foot off the green, hitting full 7 irons into the head wind for a 50 yard "chip", watching it fly up and over the green, only to be brought straight back and drop short of the green :eek:o_O. Was an absolute lottery in terms of golf, although did somehow manage 4 pars and 5 bogeys. Despite the cold wind, it didn't rain, the sun came out, and had a lot of fun playing on a fantastic course.

That’s a pity hope you get back sometime to play Reay, I agree Brora is a great course I was lucky enough to play it in the summer on a glorious day. ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A very frustrating 77 yesterday, much better than it has been, but it could have been much lower - only put myself out of position once, but the short game was sloppy and gave away 6-8 shots with poor chopping/putting.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played Hollinwell er Wow.

Its odd, I have passed that course thousands of times and never had a drive down. Did today and it’s just a farmers tarmac Rd. It don’t look like it oozes class. You get down to the forest, the rd drops down. As you come out it is just wow..
21 of us turned up for a lads surprise 60th birthday. A very good £65 inc coffee and a gorgeous sausage Butty. The course was fantastic with no 2 holes similar. I decided I would manage my shot and after 9 holes 16 points sat very nine. It really was a game of two halves. The back nine I came back with 9 points. Am not boring you with the details but it didn’t happen. But suffice to say 21 lads loved it.
However and there’s always an however. We paid £10 a piece prize money. Clapped the lads who won, got to runner up and a member came in and said “ could you tone it down a bit please as there are members next door”. Me it never bothered me one bit but some of the lads were livid. It was then mentioned that one of the lads had been approached and asked if his shorts “ were tailored”. They were. Discussion soon turned to snobbery etc etc etc. Some said they will never come back. Me I deffo would.

come what may, Hollinwell Is deffo a course you should play if you get chance. Esp for £65.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another average round with little timing or tempo.
Driving well, chipping not so, putting - just a bit of luck.......
Didn't help that we picked up a tailback from the 12th....snail's pace to the end......
The will to live was draining away and I was actually quite pleased with a bogey kn the last as it meant we'd finished.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Winter knockout yesterday (better ball). Lost on the 20th (to a par net birdie with the shot). Great game we should have closed out but didn't disgrace myself too much with my new partner (usual suspect off to have reconstructive surgery on his knee)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Winter knockout yesterday (better ball). Lost on the 20th (to a par net birdie with the shot). Great game we should have closed out but didn't disgrace myself too much with my new partner (usual suspect off to have reconstructive surgery on his knee)

Good to see you’re back on here ??

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Total nightmare yesterday.

Started off fine, played the first 4 holes well. Hit a decent drive on 5 however second shot was hampered by a tree in the middle of the fairway. Tried to shape a shot round it, made a hash of it, then the wheels fell off. Swing fell apart and started either duffing or badly slicing everything. 7 blobs in the next 10 holes before I decided enough was enough and walked off.

Worst I've played since April/May when my game was in pieces. Am praying it was just a one off, will find out tomorrow.

Thankfully back to normal today. Played really well for 37 points and no sign of the duffs or slices. God knows what that was all about on Saturday.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
oor

Welcome to Highland golf?

Shame about your drive north though.

There is an open about May time with rounds on Wick and Reay, it was £15 I think, amazing value. Sponsored by Old Poultny the local distillery. Managed to play nairn Sunday morning and it was indeed breezy, great on the back 9 anyway?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
On holiday in Ireland with the Mrs. Met her sister-in-law's Family in Donegal and managed to get out onto Donegal Golf Club.

My first taste of a links course. Not played since the start of September. Hired clubs. Short warm up at the range and then into it.

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a course. What a setting. What an afternoon. The golf was fine, but inconsequential! Needless to say it was dry, otherwise my opinion maybe different. But loved every second.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A misty, drizzly morning up on the Chalk today....
And very strange...we went out about 7.30 and didn't see anyone else until the 7th green...and on the back 9 there were 3 groups about 5 holes ahead and we didn't catch them..real Millionaire Golf....
Birdied the first, which is often a Harbinger of Doom, but played very solidly to turn at +3 and 20 points and a nice 2 at the 8th.
A bit of a wobble around the turn..bogeys on 9 and 10 followed by a topped drive and a massive push straight into the jungle for a no score...but then straight back on it to just bogey 1 more hole and par the rest.
20 out, 19 back, +7 gross
Can't be unhappy with that and the index should drop to 7.8..

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Nipped out for a quick 18 at lunch today.

Course is in full winter mode now with many of the tees moved forwards to allow the greenkeepers to carry out work on the tee boxes over winter, and mats required off the fairways. As a result the course was playing very short which was a godsend as my driver was misbehaving. It was relegated to the bag after the fifth hole and decided to get some practice in with the driving iron instead, to mixed results.

Was also playing with a set of 90s Wilson Staff blades bought on a whim and I have to say I really enjoyed using them!

32 points all in so fairly happy with that all things considered.