I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had intended going out on the shorter Ashludie tonight and taking nothing longer than a hybrid to hit lots of irons, but it was very busy and I noticed there was nobody booked on the Medal after 5pm so switch my booking to there. Did take a driver but it was the SIM Max which I've not really liked on it's previous outings - left my SLDR which I love at home.

As it was I ended up hitting the SIM pretty well and hit lots of irons too, ended up hitting them much better than the previous couple of rounds. There may be a place for the SIM yet, I've learned with the Cobra one length hybrid (which I now love) that initial impressions aren't always right.

Weather app said 12-24 mph wind from North West but although it had the direction correct it was significantly stronger than forecast (I'd have said in the 30mph range) and it was very cold on the hands for the last three or four holes. Didn't see anyone in front of or behind me all the way round and despite the cold it was lovely out there. Going to be busy with day job and football for next few days so glad I got out tonight.

View attachment 36096
Seventh green Monifieth medal with one of several little storms (which skirted the course and slid past) over the Tay and a train heading for Aberdeen

View attachment 36097
Walking off the 13th tee, humps, bumps and ridges, this is the sort of stuff I wish i had a proper camera with me for.

View attachment 36098
16th green with a little fire in the sky behind the town.

There is something absolutely magical about that time of the evening on a links. It truly becomes alive and every little bump is magnified and brought to life by long shadows. If you only ever play links during the day you never catch this twilight show. It might only last less than an hour but for me it's best time to be out there.

Works best when on smaller flatter links courses. Towering dunes can just block out the light.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
There is something absolutely magical about that time of the evening on a links. It truly becomes alive and every little bump is magnified and brought to life by long shadows. If you only ever play links during the day you never catch this twilight show. It might only last less than an hour but for me it's best time to be out there.

Works best when on smaller flatter links courses. Towering dunes can just block out the light.
Yep - our 13th is probably the best for it on the Medal and the 16th on the Ashludie is great for nice shadows too - The Old Course has some cracking holes for it.

For photography (not just golf) a lot of people think that bright middle of the day sunshine is good - it's not.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep - our 13th is probably the best for it on the Medal and the 16th on the Ashludie is great for nice shadows too - The Old Course has some cracking holes for it.

For photography (not just golf) a lot of people think that bright middle of the day sunshine is good - it's not.

A camera phone doesnt come close to showing what the eye can take in unfortunately :(

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a great day, was fighting bad iron play from the off. I left the practice area fine, but between there and the first tee I lost my tempo. I fought to get it back and was hanging on until the 17th when I hit a beautiful drive that faded round the dog leg to give me a gentle 9 iron in... but it was just off the fairway no pick and place and sunk in a bald dead patch. That was then given a good topping into the bunker and it unravelled from there. The fairways are too hard pan like and it’s not even summer. Think I am going to have to get steeper , dunno will have to investigate! 18th was the same, angry long drive into position a , then found the bunker on a second shot ... so tee to fairway okay fairway to green pants ..
One of the guys noticed the autoflex and asked if it was one of those silly priced shafts .. I can only but agree, the fact that he was 20 years younger than me, fitter and stronger using a sim with a green hazardus shaft but had only 10 yards on me at best and missed more fairways, kind of suggests the autoflex isn’t a bad investment for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been out with my 11 hcap mate, and finally played some decent golf! 85 scored for 35 points. Well happy with that, finally getting back to my old self. The only triple bogey was on the 2nd where I drove it to about 90 yards from the flag, then went fat, thin, knife, three-putt. But it got better, and front nine was actually the better nine with 19 points.

I still made 38 putts though - and I putted better today than I have in the last couple of weeks! The greens were rapid today, and generally the greens on my new course are so much tougher than at my old place, so it's something I'm really going to have to work on and get better at, quickly.

Driving was the biggest plus, hit some crackers and I think I might even be a few yards longer now than I'm used to hitting. Just a feeling though, I've not measured. Generally my shot distance seemed to be on the up, I even hit into a ditch at 205 yards when I was meant to be laying up with the 23° hybrid! It is downhill but still.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
4th round back since the restart today, woke up to a wall of snow falling but thankfully nothing settled and it disappeared to leave a lovely spring day.
Finally got a hold of my driver swing, I’ve been hitting huge draws that have been killing me (100yrd of movement is hard to aim for)
2 perfect hits up the 18th gave me a 30ft eagle putt which I duly drained for a gross 71 (-1 gross). Qualifying medal today so it was a good day to bring the game together.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Wrecked the 7th and 14th with triples , other than that it was pretty consistent and the first time in a while with 2 birdies on the card.

Tested the new TSi 2 demo driver, originally wanted the G425 or sim 2 to test but both were already out. Very impressed. Best driver day for a long time including a bombed 310yd drive down the 4th and made the green in one on the 272 par 4 13th. It had the HZRDUS smoke RDS shaft and I’m seriously considering buying one after that!

Anywho... 7 FIR 4 GIR but 31 putts saved me.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played up at bootle getting 17 shots. Shot 36, played quiet well. Maybe I’ve found my level ??

After 5 horrible rounds with the driver, I got to shout kaboom baby! a couple of times ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a Texas Scramble this morning. Played well as a team for a 65 and a net 53.5. The big thing was that we avoided any bogeys on the card and hopefully that’s going to be a competitive score.

Mandofred

Visit site
Comp postponed today from frost. The swing is getting better.....can't putt to save my life.

Playing on a new course in the morning.....looking forward to it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Feeling very irritated on 1st tee as at least two of the other three in my four didn’t know their CH and the third seemed to be guessing...on their own course, and so confused debate on shots given/received ensued...I then proceeded to play very messily with a couple of real horrors inc. my first lucy locket for four rounds (aaaargh!!!!), but also knocked in four very nice birdies inc one on the last to win the 4BBB match - and for me four birdies in a round is rare. Doesnt golf sometimes baffle to the extreme.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
first monthly medal yesterday, bright but cold and a strong wind. the others were entering so why not. 2 bogeys on the trot but then settled down. was a bit later than we usually play, but we only two two balls goin out in front , but got to the 3rd green again only to see all three groups of 2 balls in front of us waiting on the tee. infront of them was a4 ball of young guys, who were pretty terrible, all over the place even on the easiest hole on the course. didn't get any better pace wise, we were 4 hours for a 3 ball and two of the groups in front an one behind walked in due to the pace of play. at no time did they offer to let the 2 balls through.
started to hit it well from 4 onwards though the greens had been top dressed this week and were a bit sandy.Wind dropped and it even started to warm up by 7th and all of us removed our jackets and winter hats. it wasn't to last as while we were on the tee the wind switched around to a north easterly:rolleyes:, was 3 over for the front 9. got to 12 and hit a good drive past the new bunkers and had 5 iron in which i thinnned straight into the new bunker short of the green then doubled. bogey on 13 was also a let down after a grrod drive, wasnt even that bad a 2nd almost got on the green before rolling all the way back down the hill some 70 yards away. it started snowing heavy on 14 and 15, then on the 16th the hailsstones were so bac you couldn't even see the fairway. A few good up and downs on 14,15 and 16 for par, snow on again for 17, had to hit driver there, the day before had hit 5 iron off the tee the wind was so strong into us. had 160 into the wind, which would usually be a 7, but took 6 due to the wind, flushed it over the green:cry:, got up and down for par, then did the same on 18 with my 3rd with a 9 iron to almost put it OOB, managed Bogey for a gross 77, net 72. was 2nd, but finished mid table as lots of good scores by high handicaps later. relatively please considering the weather. Index will go up though as my 20th score was my best (68, gross 73)

Scottish golf app was not much fun i couldn't enter my score and the other two couldn't confirm theirs, all had to be done by the starter, he'd told us most others in the comp were the same, he's had to do most of the scores .. tech:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3432

Best score to date today on the old links of Silloth ? (A 9 shot PB) Glorious sunshine on the front 9... light snow on the back 9 ? (but quite calm wind wise which is rare)

View attachment 36122

They have done a great job removing the gorse around this green. Just as well for me on Friday, sailed one right over the flag 15 yards too long which would have been a lost ball last year.

It was getting way too tight around the green especially if wind was playing into and/or off the Blue tee.

You got lucky playing in flat calm, always good when you can take advantage of it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Cracking day on the heath. Course is in stunning condition and greens as good as I can remember. Cool breeze, but in the sun it was glorious(y)

Didn't play that well, but a par, par, birdie finish salvaged a gross 81, 35 stableford points. Few blobs in there but who counts them ?:D

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good day out on the course today, pairs betterball comp. we didn’t have the best front 9 with only 17 points but pulled it together with 23 on the back 9 for a decent total of 40 points. I think 43 was the highest score, so not too shabby really.

Playing off 85% of handicap which seemed a little hard