I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Progress yesterday as 3 aspects of my game worked at the same time...
Hybrids, chipping and long putts were astonishingly good...
Irons..improving but still ropey
Driver ..acceptable - 2 really bad drives cost me a double each time.
Short putts......missed 3 from inside 4 feet - normally a strength

So, 31 points from the first card put in under WHS
Because I knew one of my best 8 wasn't about to drop off the 20 I also knew the handicap wouldn't go up
So I suppose I felt a little more relaxed than normal.
Didn't help mind
Turn the 3 blobs into scoring holes and im not that far away - all the blobs were doubles on non shot holes so no real disasters.
CVG started like a train. Par, birdie start to have 7 points from 2 holes.
Shame he only got 22 from the next 16....funny old game.

D

Deleted member 21258

Last tee time out, 18 holes after gardening all day, not recommended for good golf, driver everywhere but scored okay, the ball just didn't want to be lost:whistle:

The swan putting on the display on the lake, was the highlight of the round, great to be playing golf :-
IWYM7299.JPG

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a good game today.
36 points but blobbed the last.
Didn't duff any chips or pitches, possibly for the first time ever!
Great pint of Guinness after the round.
Good to be alive.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out on my own on the Medal course after work again tonight and had probably my best score ever on the course, actually helped by being a single behind a four ball on the front nine, forced me to take my time.

But I wasn't at all happy with the consistency of my irons until the last few holes, basically got lucky and didn't get into trouble with any bad shots up to then - sorted out my grip and was hitting the ball really well last few holes, definitely need to take more care with set up.

Lovely out there though just a 10mph breeze according to the Met office app and not a single cloud in the sky.

IMG_5084.jpg
7th from off the left of the fairway

IMG_5085.jpg
7th green

IMG_5086.jpg...and we're done - view back down the par 5 18th

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
fantastic weather at Nairn today, not a breath of wind on the front and for a change it was warm almost 10deg by 9.30. hit it pretty well. breeze picked up on the back 9 but prob only an one club from the N/east. should have stuck a card it rarely such good playing conditions this time of year, forecaste is for the same tomorrow, will def be sticking one in

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played yesterday evening, and the weather was lovely. Was all a bit rushed at the start, then a bit slow following a couple of slow groups, who thankfully cleared off after 9. Back 9 took just under 50 minutes.

Having problems with the bottom of my back and glute on my left side is making turning through the ball quite difficult and causing me to go back to my old armsy over the top swing. Hopefully some pilates and strength training will sort it out soon, as I was just getting comfortable with clearing my left hip rather than humping.
Had a poor front 9 with 3 doubles. And eventually finished with 90 (47/43)

The course is firming up nicely, but the greens were still very bumpy. Which is not good given they are getting faster. Hopefully a couple of weeks of warm weather will sort them out. The other major problem is the amount of bare rock hard ground, left after the wet weather. Makes for some 'interesting' lies and difficult shots.

Can't decide whether or not I like the Sim driver. I've definitely gained a fair bit of distance with it, but its not that forgiving. Probably just needs setting up properly.

I do however love my new Flat Cat grip. Makes lining puts up and making a positive stroke so much easier. Can't wait to try it on some nice smooth greens.

The nicest thing about the round was having my daughter walk round with me. She has precisely zero interest in playing golf, but really enjoyed walking round. She loves wildlife so was super excited to see a couple of small deer, lots of rabbits and a few different birds or prey. It was also very useful to have someone run in front and look for errant shots ?.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out tonight to check out the change to my grip I made last night (course was pretty much empty - nobody at all in front of me or for a good few holes behind me) after checking the video of my lesson where the pro sorted it - feels weird but ball strike is night and day better than what I've been playing with for ages - should really go back and check the videos much more regularly.

Off to the academy range at St Andrews Links tomorrow morning to hit more balls with that grip.

Handicap has been sorted out and first comp on Wednesday - it's been a while, maybe six years since I played in a proper comp.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hit a nice bit of form today - birdied 4 of the first 8 holes , then 2 of the back 9 - dropped 2 shots and ended up being 4 under par ???????‍♂️

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out solo first thing on the back 9 trying to sort out my iron play...
I may..may..have sussed it.
Doing it again tomorrow to make sure..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lovely day here again, so decided to all put GP scores in. hit the ball OK, but putting really let me down, three putted 5 times.

as we played at 8.30 missed the numpties that take all day, were round in just over 3 hours.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday and did something that I don't think I have done before, 1st three holes and I am in the right greenside bunker on each hole.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Out solo first thing on the back 9 trying to sort out my iron play...
I may..may..have sussed it.
Doing it again tomorrow to make sure..
Please send over the details!

First comp today, in so many good positions off the tee but after the first few holes just lost my head with an iron in hand. There are many ways this game can be frustrating but this has to be one of the worst ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been a whirlwind week for the golf for me

Only got 8 cards in at time so index could only be 25.8

Tuesday played the midweek 18 hole stableford

Thought I played well, didn't add up points until end..turns out id hit 42 points (41 with 95%) .. was shocked as had lost a ball (made second ball par tho) and missed a 1 footer .. just ignored them at time

Won the comp happy days . Never won before (in comps , not society won a couple them but not serious comps)

Cut to 23.6 index think it was

2 days later playing in my society (handed the card in via golf England app) hit 38 points off society handicap (41 if using whs but society doesn't. The card I handed in did we used 2 cards)

Society round felt amazin chip in birdie from pin high approach off one hole and then 2 holes later another birdie (haven't had any for months then 2 at once) but that was a 2 so won the 2s club (£97)

£147 in prizes in the week lol

Starting index 25.8
Finishing index 22

Still only 3 cards count so will go up slightly when a 4th counts but it's going right way ..

Joining the hard club helps as other courses just felt short, using irons in instead of hyrbids helped

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played like an absolute spanner today. May have to accept the need to practice rather than just turn up and expect to be semi competent.

3 horseshoe putts ?. 2 were overhit, 1 was just plain mean ?

The saving grace, so typical of golf, I had 3 beautiful shots on the 18th leading to a 1cm tap in for par. That reeled me right back in for more next week ?.

Fabulous day, no wind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a difference not having to wear all the layers.

Not brilliant with 33 points but 2 twos on the card so money to come.

Two of the shots dropped was of me trying to get more out of a shot than I should have.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a brilliant day, one of those days where you remember why you love golf.

Was booked in with my mate who's off 11/12, we didn't enter the comp (not even 100% sure how to at this point), but we decided we would play off the whites because we hadn't done that yet at the new club, and figured it's worth practising and seeing the difference before we do enter one. After two holes it was clear it was going to be a slow day as we caught up the pair in front of us - one of them was a guy called Ian who we'd played with before, the other one we hadn't, but he was also named Ian. They said we could join up with them if we wanted to, and it made sense so we did so. Great decision as it turned out, as we had a really enjoyable round with the two Ians. Not hot, but sunny the whole way round, I did get down to shirt sleeves for most of the back nine.

I had one of those rounds where the score was better than I even realised. Front nine was only 16 points because I had a couple of rubbish holes, but back nine was only 3 over par (3 bogeys 6 pars), 23 points. So a gross score of 81, 39 points. Probably should have entered the comp! That's my best score at the new place, and the fact I was able to do it off the whites was very encouraging. Had a few pints in the sun afterwards as well - proper golf is back! And I managed to beat my mate by 1 shot gross and by 1 point in Stableford which is the perfect way to annoy him. Love it.

Visit site
Just swung in my now presentable garden - after 5 hours of toil

Playing tomorrow...General play - first time in what seems like forever
Been reading all the ask the experts forum in preparation - obviously going to go low :)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4bbb knockout match, quality of the golf was atrocious but we managed to seal victory on the 19th.

Could have won it earlier but for a bounce out off the flag stick. Absolutely furious?, someone needs to start a thread about this;)