I need some tips for self control when i do crap shots lol!!!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. just remember you could be at work
2. nobody's going to die from it
3. there's a good shot round the corner (of course you do have to find the corner - and it might not be your shot)
4. say to yourself, "Tiger (or maybe in your case Adam Scott?) could play a shot just like that, therefore I play just like Tiger"
5. it could be snowing

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Does anyone have some tip on self control i need them before my season starts

Every time you get angry stamp on your driver shaft until it snaps, take out your wallet and throw it in the nearest lake and eat your car keys.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Other than the other salient points above I guess reading some of the stuff by guys like Rotella may give you a focus. At the end of the day unless you are getting paid to play the worse that's going to happen is you may come last (and get a bit of stick in the clubhouse) and get 0.1 back on the handicap.

Even when I am playing badly (and my bad is very bad - ask Smiffy) then there will always be one hole that you play well. Try not to think about it before you go out as you're almost telling yourself you'll play crap before you start.

The only other suggestion I can think of is take plenty of balls out with you

Visit site
This is a tricky one, and something I think everyone suffers from to a degree. You do just have to focus on the next shot. Yes it can be frustrating, but the more you build up the anger the worse you'll make your next shot because you feel like you need to nail it to the green to avoid losing score.

I was told by my pro to always focus on a target from start to green. I know it sounds ridiculous because surely we all do that right? Wrong. Most people pick an area in their field of vision, im saying pick an object, a big tree, an electricity pylon etc, zone in on this area and forget everything else exists. This really helps me focus and cuts out water, bunkers etc also, we all know these give us the shivers, ha.

Take each shot as it comes, you may have three bad shots in a row but if you keep your cool and focus you'll improve with time.

My father can be the worlds worst. Hes just had some lessons after about 20 years and hes gone back to being a beginner pretty much, imagine how frustrating that is. He gets so angry on the course that he doesn't even pay attention to the basics meaning he just goes in a downward spiral!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the thought of you worrying about your self control before anything bads happened.It sounds to me in life itself you probably let little things get you down and are a bit of a worrier.Try and think of posotive things before you go onto the course get yourself in a good frame of mind.

stevewilko

Medal Winner
Visit site
Remember the pros cannot hit every fairway / green in regulation so what right have we!!!
You could be shopping or worse decorating so a bad round is better than a roll of wallpaper!!!!
at least thats my view.
failing that i chuck my clubs and kick my bag lol lol :D

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you've hit a stinker I don't see anything wrong with a bit of club/ bag/ self abuse. Just get it out of your system quickly so you can crack on and start thinking about rectifying the situation.

As long as your outbursts don't effect other people on the course then crack on. Just remember what pocket your mobile phone is in before smashing your wedge into your bag!! :eek: :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just chill!
Everyone hits bad shots, but don't get mad at yourself when you do. Just notice the result as if someone else played the shot, and move on.

Above all, don't call yourself names. Your body is an incredibly complex peice of kit that does a million and one things perfectly without you even thinking about it. It certainly isn't a useless piece of sh*t (or whatever you call yourself after a poor shot).

If you have a behaviour you want to change (getting angry and stressed), just make a note each time it happens and at the end of the round count how many times it happened.
Don't get annoyed with yourself for letting it happen, just make a note when you notice.
After a few rounds you'll be making less and less notes each time.

You might not play any better but you'll have a better time on the golf course. :)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Just remember what pocket your mobile phone is in before smashing your wedge into your bag!! :eek: :D

I smashed a wedge into my bag once and pulled out a 2ft driver on the next tee.

Whatever you do to vent your frustration make sure you only give yourself 5 or 10 seconds then focus on the next shot and how you will now have to play the hole. It's in the past, you can't change it, let it go.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Join the Tourette's Syndrome Golf Society then knowone will notice when you have an out-burst.

And you can say what the *&%$ you like. :eek:

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a youngster I had a terrible attitude towards golf, every bad shot was followed by a bout of swearing and cursing. This held me back a lot and I never realised my potential. It also got me thrown off the junior Myhill team and nearly chucked out of the club altogether.
After a long break from golf, I returned on the condition that I wouldn't get angry again and I maintain a positive attitude.
Just stay positive and laugh off the bad shots, and give yourself a pat on the back for the good ones. This way you can guarantee you'll make less errors, because lets face once you've let the anger take over there's no going back.