Shower advice?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't know if anyone could offer some advice please?
Had a new combi boiler fitted last October, and are happy with the heating side of things.
The problem we have is with the shower that was installed to replace the existing electric shower that we had prior to them removing the cold water tank in the loft.
The new one is absolute garbage. The temperature control is useless. It takes ages to chuck out hot water, and when it does, it's too hot. Turning the temperature control has hardly any effect at all.
The flow is not brilliant, and to be honest I hate using it.
Other than moaning at the installers, anything else I can do????

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Set the temperature you want at the boiler (probably around 40 degrees) and do not use cold water to cool hot water down.

Combi boilers that can manage the flow for a shower is another question, personally I would have stuck with the electric - however getting sufficient pressure for most peoples wants has to come from a tank fed system. Water pressure from the combi is limited to the water pressure from the mains.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a new combi boiler fitted last October, and are happy with the heating side of things.
The problem we have is with the shower that was installed to replace the existing electric shower that we had prior to them removing the cold water tank in the loft.
The new one is absolute garbage. The temperature control is useless. It takes ages to chuck out hot water, and when it does, it's too hot. Turning the temperature control has hardly any effect at all.
I have an Aqualisa working with my combi boiler, and yes , its not as good as before as the control box with pump is now replaced by an unpumped control box.
However, I have paired it with a Mira eco head (that sucks in air to bubble the water) and it's much better.
From my own limited experience, the flow rate of your combi makes a huge difference to your showers effectiveness.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My combi boiler is quite good with the shower.
I have the hot water set to almost max on the boiler and use the shower mixing valve usually set to about halfway.
Only problem is, if someone accidentally turns on a hot tap on somewhere else in the house the shower will go cold until the other tap is turned off.
I've occasionally (accidentally) turned a hot tap on when the wife's been having a shower.lol
Sadly running a bath takes a long time with my Worcester greenstar 24 combi boiler

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wanted to add a bit to my original comment.

Both the cold feed to the boiler and the cold feed to the shower come from the same mains feed so using both at the same time restricts flow to the boiler by some degree.

If the cold water tank has been removed from the loft having an electric shower fed from the mains is not going to improve the flow you get.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I'd moan at the installers if I were you. A new boiler, with a new shower valve, should work..

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a half decent thermostatically controller shower.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find lowering the cold pressure to the shower by adjusting the cutoff valve on the shower cold mains feed sorts it on mine. If the cold water pressure to the shower is too high it overpowers the hot water flow.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've a combi boiler with good mains pressure and it's as good as a power shower..Also has some gizmo in it that if a tap is turned on else where it drops the pressure and.maintains the same temperature
Not much to Smiffy except that it might be worth going back to the installer.

samthom99

Banned
Visit site
We "converted" back to a greener heat pump system and our showers have improved massively. The heating is rubbish though