Gas usage.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone got any idea (data?) on what might be regarded as 'normal' gas usage at this time of year? I'm just wondering if our meter is working properly. There's just two of us in the house, and really the only use of gas at the mo' is two brief (ish) showers per day and a modest amount of hot water use. Both provided by a combi boiler. Heating not on at the mo' .

Our records of meter readings indicate we've used a total of just 11 units of gas in the three months of June/July/August. For comparison it says we used a total of 120 units in March/April/May - when the heating would have also been on. (It's an old meter and it says the units are cubic feet?). Based on what I've found on t'internet, it all seems a bit low?

Is that normal usage or is the meter likely on the blink?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My combi boiler quotes hot water output as 31.4 KW so you need to work out the KW hours of usage and convert this to cubic meters using various online calculators.
or take what they say as usage and convert this to KWhrs.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at those figures, ours seems unrealistically low? Might have to do some deeper delving - possibly to the extent of asking the supplier to check the meter. Reluctant to do that though, as I suspect it will mean us having to have smart meter. (Not actually against them but the practicality of having one installed will be a PITA)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We used 78 kWh in a June and 11 in July. August will be down on that.

We hit 2000 between November and February.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you confusing your meter readings with your KWhours?
Our gas usage is of a similar type to yours (combi hot water + gas hob). In the summer it's about 150kwh per month.
But our meter reading only goes up by between 3 and 6 number increments a month in the summer.
This is because gas meters measure cubic amounts (feet in our case, meters in more modern meters) and this is then converted to KWh. There's stuff on the internet for this.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My combi boiler gives similar gas use to the OP. WE ARE JUST 2 now, in a 3 bed 1921 semi.
I wouldn’t worry.
Just to add, I am now on smart meters, and gas use hasn’t changed over the previous 25 yr old gas meter.
Changing the old boiler and indirect system made a world of difference though:)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you confusing your meter readings with your KWhours?
Our gas usage is of a similar type to yours (combi hot water + gas hob). In the summer it's about 150kwh per month.
But our meter reading only goes up by between 3 and 6 number increments a month in the summer.
This is because gas meters measure cubic amounts (feet in our case, meters in more modern meters) and this is then converted to KWh. There's stuff on the internet for this.
Don't think so - our meter is 'calibrated' in cubic feet. Current reading of 1st Sept is 4619 2 then a dial. On 1st June it was 4608 (Mrs B didn't record the fraction). Given that a couple of you have said your meter for summer usage only goes up in single digits, perhaps its not so bad. (Would be easier to fathom what's happening if Mrs B hadn't ditched previous year's readings ...)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't think so - our meter is 'calibrated' in cubic feet. Current reading of 1st Sept is 4619 2 then a dial. On 1st June it was 4608 (Mrs B didn't record the fraction). Given that a couple of you have said your meter for summer usage only goes up in single digits, perhaps its not so bad. (Would be easier to fathom what's happening if Mrs B hadn't ditched previous year's readings ...)

you should be able to go to the suppliers website and check previous readings

The funny thing about this is I went online to check mine and found the smart meters have not been sending readings for some time.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I used 5.2 units the month of August
July 3.9 units
June 7 units

Two of us, three bed and an uneconomical boiler.

178 units for March, April and May

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a wee tip if you have a Combi boiler unless you want hot water, make sure your water taps are turned to the cold position before turning them on.
Otherwise, the boiler flow switch will ignite the boiler after a few seconds and heat water you probably won't use.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
you should be able to go to the suppliers website and check previous readings

The funny thing about this is I went online to check mine and found the smart meters have not been sending readings for some time.
My parents had a smart meter fitted about a year ago.

Couldn't fathom why all their usage was "estimated".

After months of back and forth EON admitted the "not so smart" meter wasn't sending readings.

Turns out neither is their next door neighbours (both sides) or anyone else in the close they live in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

After months of back and forth EON admitted the "not so smart" meter wasn't sending readings.

Turns out neither is their next door neighbours (both sides) or anyone else in the close they live in.

A few don't work for signal reasons but for example if you close to an RAF base they don't allow you to have em

New ones are out that can connect to WiFi to solve this issue

If the IHD can give you the meter readings then enter on providers website for a work around

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When mine were first fitted the engineer could not get the gas one to communicate and neither will communicate with the in house device via wifi*.
Phone calls to the supplier to discuss it and I was assured it was now working. I was a bit surprised to see that the gas one never worked as from what it said on my bills/ supplier website. was that readings had been received.

*I still have to go outside to the cupboards to take readings.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For a six months after I had a SM installed I had had no problems but continued to send my own readings anyway. My statements showed customer and smart meter values (SM always used though).
A month ago I realised that the last few gas readings were 'Customer Readings' only.
I contacted my supplier and they confirmed that they had no SM reading and after some testing confirmed the gas meter had seemingly lost contact with the transmitter. Electric was/is fine.
They then said 'We have had a lot of problems with gas meters losing contact'. They are supposedly sending an engineer to check it all out. In the meantime I am doing manual readings. Fortunately the gas meter is not outside unlike the electricity.