Smart heating controls- Hive? Nest? Advice please

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for input so far.
Excuse my ignorance, but if I went for a Hive or Nest system, do I need to change thermostat AND controller?
And is this a DIY job or do I need heating engineer or electrician?

Yes it requires a part P certificate to be issued as the wires have to go in the boiler (even though it just a simple job of connecting the right wires to terminals in the boiler). I know where my wires go on my boiler I would also need a registered gas plumber as one of the covers needs to come off and the regs says I cannot take the cover off myself.

Your existing thermosat would have mains power to it.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll have to check how good our wifi is as our boiler is about afar from the router as is physically possible without being next door.

I have a good electrician who doesn't do gas, and a good plumber but not sure if he does wiring!

Since darling Mr Mimms is such a Luddite. I'm not sure how much we would be able to use all the useful features, like turning it down when you leave the house as he usually leaves his phone at home so the system will assume he never leaves the house!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Another shout for Hive. Had it about 5 years now, way better than the old dial thingy. Easy to adjust via phone, really liked the fact the water and heating could go on separate schedules. Saved a few bob instantly, and a few hundred over the first two years.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes it requires a part P certificate to be issued as the wires have to go in the boiler (even though it just a simple job of connecting the right wires to terminals in the boiler). I know where my wires go on my boiler I would also need a registered gas plumber as one of the covers needs to come off and the regs says I cannot take the cover off myself.

Your existing thermosat would have mains power to it.

it doesn’t. You should receive a minor works certificate for this sort of work. All very easy stuff for a sparky. Even taking the cover off the boiler. (Even though gas safe say only gas safe engineers should remove it…. I freely admit to opening up and repairing faults on boilers, usually only after the gas safe man has told the customer to ring an electrician cos it's an electric problem.?)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll have to check how good our wifi is as our boiler is about afar from the router as is physically possible without being next door.

I have a good electrician who doesn't do gas, and a good plumber but not sure if he does wiring!

Since darling Mr Mimms is such a Luddite. I'm not sure how much we would be able to use all the useful features, like turning it down when you leave the house as he usually leaves his phone at home so the system will assume he never leaves the house!

You can get a booster. We had to for ours.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have nest.
During the coldest part of the winter the component that controls the boiler failed. Took 3 days to get a new one. They still haven't compensated us for the parts and labour (covered by guarantee). Google payments system is busy so expect an 8 week delay apparently...
The principle is good, but make sure you have a manual override (we've got one now).