Advice on central heating boiler please.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a quote from British gas for this.
Price includes, radiator power flush, (10), magnetic filter, hive controls plus an Alexa subject to availability. It's a pressure system, boiler in loft. They're going to run pipes in to airing cupboard to vent system plus a guage to read pressure. This will be much easier as existing pressure control is in loft.

The old boiler is 17 years old, Alpha which is a D rated one.
New one would be a Worcester Bosch and A rated.
All this for £3468.
What do you heating experts think, StuC etc.
Thanks.

RichA

Visit site
Not an expert, just an interested observer.
I've been waiting for my 24 year old conventional gas boiler to pack up for about 15 years. I always thought it would cost about that much just to replace it, like for like. Your post has made me think that maybe I'll look into changing it out for a modern system before it becomes an emergency.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not an expert, just an interested observer.
I've been waiting for my 24 year old conventional gas boiler to pack up for about 15 years. I always thought it would cost about that much just to replace it, like for like. Your post has made me think that maybe I'll look into changing it out for a modern system before it becomes an emergency.
They say that the life of a boiler is around 15 years. Also worth remembering whether parts are still available or even still made.
I like the idea of the Hive where it can be controlled remotely.
A feature of the Worcester Bosch that I like BG can connect to it and be monitored for when things go wrong. They call you and tell you of the fault and if necessary the part can be ordered so the engineer has said part when he arrives!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds expensive and hive etc is not something I would want.

My 3 bedroom detached house got a new Bosch Greenstar boiler 4 years ago.
9 radiators. House changed over from water tank and magnetic trap fitted.
Also got a new power shower fitted at the same time £2200.

Using a trusted local trader rather than BG etc will save a good amount of money.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've got a ferroli. Bad reviews on the net, but it's never let us down. Had to reset a few times. It explodes now and again, but other than that well good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was changing my system a few years back by and far the most expensive quote was from British Gas by a margin of about 30%.
(in the end I bought all the parts did a lot of the pipe work and the local guy did the flush and boiler fitting with some finishing pipe work for £400).

Boiler in the loft or in the garage you have to be wary of the frost stat and it's effects on running cost. The frost stat on my boiler kicks in at 8 Deg C.
My neighbour had his put in the garage and the boiler was running 24/7 in winter when the house was empty whilst it was being renovated.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got 2 quotes for a 35kw system both over £4K but less than £4.5k. One plumber saw the system and knows the inputs and space the other quoted over the phone and caveated so price could go up.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
AFAIK, BG will just sub out the job so not only are you paying the installer's margin but also BG mark up. Personally I would get a couple of prices from local independent fitters.

4 years ago we had a full power flush (11 rads) £500. 2 years ago a new Vailant boiler and hot water tank with mag filter for about £2,000. It wasn't in the loft though. Didn't bother with the Hive or Alexa nonsense (what's that about anyway).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hive is just a simple way of controlling your heating system. There is an app on your phone that allows you to set and amend your heating schedule. The added bonus for me is the ability to alter your heating when you are out of the house. Being able to amend the heating to make sure you come into a warm house when, for whatever reason, you are going to be back unexpectedly is a handy option to have.

It really is very simple to use, no complications.

D

Deleted member 1740

Just had a quote from British gas for this.
Price includes, radiator power flush, (10), magnetic filter, hive controls plus an Alexa subject to availability. It's a pressure system, boiler in loft. They're going to run pipes in to airing cupboard to vent system plus a guage to read pressure. This will be much easier as existing pressure control is in loft.

The old boiler is 17 years old, Alpha which is a D rated one.
New one would be a Worcester Bosch and A rated.
All this for £3468.
What do you heating experts think, StuC etc.
Thanks.

Hi mate

BG price is excessively high. They use subbies to do the work so your paying BG prices for contractors to do the work.

I'd be looking around £2.6k tops.

Also I'd go with a Baxi 825 boiler or Vaillant 625. 10yrs parts and labour next day warranty on the baxi for registered baxi installers and 7yr for the Vaillant. For me Worcester boilers are overpriced and usually offer a lesser warranty.

I'd recommend getting a few local traders in to quote, I'd expect you'd be saving the best part of £600+ going this way.

If you need anymore advice give us a pm.

Stu

D

Deleted member 1740

We've got a ferroli. Bad reviews on the net, but it's never let us down. Had to reset a few times. It explodes now and again, but other than that well good.

Congratulations You're the only person I know of who hasn't had a problem with their ferroli boiler.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi mate

BG price is excessively high. They use subbies to do the work so your paying BG prices for contractors to do the work.

I'd be looking around £2.6k tops.

Also I'd go with a Baxi 825 boiler or Vaillant 625. 10yrs parts and labour next day warranty on the baxi for registered baxi installers and 7yr for the Vaillant. For me Worcester boilers are overpriced and usually offer a lesser warranty.

I'd recommend getting a few local traders in to quote, I'd expect you'd be saving the best part of £600+ going this way.

If you need anymore advice give us a pm.

Stu

Thanks for the info Stu, very useful. ?