How you view brands of clubs

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven’t had any issues with my mizuno blades and they’re all stock lies and lengths and I’m certainly not a small Asian person.
The lie angle doesn’t make me hit a fade.
The only thing that would kick my Mizuno’s out of the bag would be miura blades
They sit flatter than titleist or ping and used to be quarter of an inch shorter aswell. If a club is too flat for you it will go slightly right, if it's too upright it goes slightly left. This is why we change lie angles. Mizuno are made primarily for the Asian market where the average person is smaller, hence the slight difference. Obviously easily rectified but if you ever pick one up and are taller than about 5'11 it won't be ideal.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought a slazenger putter about 4 months ago as a bit of a laugh from sports direct. Cost me £12, It's a bit like a 2 ball design, i normaly use a ping anser. My mate took the piss when I turned up with it. Stopped laughing after I was nailing putts and taking his 5ers.

I just use it in winter because it's heavier and don't need to wack it, but it just goes to show how snobbery we can all be.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
PXG / Honma / / Miura - Expensive clubs but you probably get what you pay for. Certainly Miura irons are about as good as you can get.

Mizuno – always produce classy irons, not a great reputation with woods but new driver is special

Titleist – hard to fault, the leading golf ball manufacturer that also makes great clubs. Previously only aimed at the better player but now cover most abilities. Only release clubs every 2 years.

Callaway – Great marketing, produce forgiving/easy to hit irons and their woods are always good, new products released on a regular basis.

Taylormade – Similar to Callaway, great marketing etc but make great drivers, check out Tour Pro bags not on a Tmade contract. Iron lofts very strong hence why 7 irons go 200 yards!!

Ping – Underrated, quality brand.

Cobra – Have a loyal fan base but very small don’t know much about them

Wilson – Wilson Staff, not a great image but were the go to brand many years ago.

Cleveland – great wedges, now part of Srixon.

Srixon – Have started produce quality clubs over the last few years, irons as good as anything out there and new driver is impressive.
Scotty Cameron – huge following, especially in Japan who supported the brand prior to Titleist acquisition. Quality putters.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's all marketing imo.Ive got a very mixed bag and the reason is they work for me.

Cleveland driver
Titleist 3&5w
Wilson staff blades 4-PW
Cleveland 52,56,60
Putter rife 31in blade

If the marketing gumf to sell sticks was even half accurate we'd all be off scratch and every other guy who tells you he carries it 290 thru the air would, actually..be telling the truth!

No one mentioning shafts?? Put any head you like to look down on the right shaft and you're on your way

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They sit flatter than titleist or ping and used to be quarter of an inch shorter aswell. If a club is too flat for you it will go slightly right, if it's too upright it goes slightly left. This is why we change lie angles. Mizuno are made primarily for the Asian market where the average person is smaller, hence the slight difference. Obviously easily rectified but if you ever pick one up and are taller than about 5'11 it won't be ideal.

I'm not sure where you get this from. Mizuno irons in the UK are built to UK specs, they'll be pretty much standard compared to other irons in terms of length and are certainly not built primarily for the Asian market.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's incredible how the marketing and tour players play with your head.

I made a decision a few years ago to buy Cleveland equipment. I had TM irons, but got Cleveland Driver, 3 wood, hybrids, wedges and had a Cleveland putter. Not all at the same time.

I now have a TM Driver and a Ping putter.

But it genuinely puts me off that most of the top players seem to be Titleist, TM or Ping. Bradley, Knox and G-Mac are the 3 high profile Cleveland players I can think of.

However I should stay true to my initial logic for buying Cleveland was that it was decent equipment and very fairly priced. I believe this remains the case today.

Albeit I've never seen any of their irons that I fancy.

D

Deleted member 15344

😂😂😂

Do you seriously believe that ?

The clubs you get in the UK are built in the UK - standard length is the same standard as the other manufacturers - and if you get fitted and you need a different length then no different than any other OEM

But built for smaller people in Asia 😂😂

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
😂😂😂

The clubs you get in the UK are built in the UK - standard length is the same standard as the other manufacturers - and if you get fitted and you need a different length then no different than any other OEM

as I said earlier I am certainly not a small Asian, although at the moment it looks like I've eaten one!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
😂😂😂

I'm not sure on length but Mizuno are generally a flatter lie than most if not every other manufacturer.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I got sucked into the 'I bet a Titleist wedge would be better' trap oh how I thought Mr Vokey was going to solve my issues!
Have Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56/60 wedges and was struggling with my 52, so got an SM7 52 with 8 bounce and despite trying it, I just don't like it at all. It almost feels unbalanced compared to the M Daddy one.
A little work on technique and the MD 52 is back in line! Thw whole experience has made me love the MD4's even more.
Was I just expecting too much from Titleist?
The marketing got me.....and I still want to try their irons in case I'm missing out (even after the wedge thing) but I am now able to hold myself back a bit and consider a true assessment when the time comes!
Also I'll need to play a round with some not just blast a few off the range.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not sure on length but Mizuno are generally a flatter lie than most if not every other manufacturer.

I have no idea if they are or not - it was more the remark about the clubs only suiting small people because they are made for Asian market - a perfect example is Faldo - 6 ft 4 ? Used Mizuno to win majors

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no idea if they are or not - it was more the remark about the clubs only suiting small people because they are made for Asian market - a perfect example is Faldo - 6 ft 4 ? Used Mizuno to win majors

He didn't say they're only suited for small people though did he!

He offered an explanation as to why they may be flatter and a bit smaller.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He didn't say they're only suited for small people though did he!

He offered an explanation as to why they may be flatter and a bit smaller.
Its amazing how people who don't have a clue about something try and argue about it, yes they are built in Cumbernauld just outside Glasgow for European orders, they DO have flatter lie angles and used to always be quarter of an inch shorter in stock form. They are an Asian brand and design there clubs in stock form around Asian specs, they are built the same way and are the same heads everywhere

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its amazing how people who don't have a clue about something try and argue about it, yes they are built in Cumbernauld just outside Glasgow for European orders, they DO have flatter lie angles and used to always be quarter of an inch shorter in stock form. They are an Asian brand and design there clubs in stock form around Asian specs, they are built the same way and are the same heads everywhere
I'm 6ft and i prefer SL/SL in the mizuno to any other brand, i might have long arms though;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is it really relevant how flat irons are when they come out the factory? I would have thought these days most people paying best part of a grand for a set of new Mizunos will have got them custom fitted.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am 6ft 2. My Titleist fitting is plus 1/2", 2 degrees upright. My Tourstage are 1/2" longer, same as my Titleists, no idea what lie angle and my Mizzy JPX tour, are the same length as my Tourstage, no idea what lie angle. They could be the same, flat, upright, whatever. No idea. Don't care. Makes no difference. Just doesn't.

Wolf

Visit site
It's incredible how the marketing and tour players play with your head.

I made a decision a few years ago to buy Cleveland equipment. I had TM irons, but got Cleveland Driver, 3 wood, hybrids, wedges and had a Cleveland putter. Not all at the same time.

I now have a TM Driver and a Ping putter.

But it genuinely puts me off that most of the top players seem to be Titleist, TM or Ping. Bradley, Knox and G-Mac are the 3 high profile Cleveland players I can think of.

However I should stay true to my initial logic for buying Cleveland was that it was decent equipment and very fairly priced. I believe this remains the case today.

Albeit I've never seen any of their irons that I fancy.

I'd agree totally with you on this about Cleveland,. Years ago I had the Launcher driver and Wedges were the best clubs in my bag, I'd love to have something similar in my bag now. Plus I keep looking at the Srixon offerings that are out and I'm sorely tempted.

I got sucked into the 'I bet a Titleist wedge would be better' trap oh how I thought Mr Vokey was going to solve my issues!
Have Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56/60 wedges and was struggling with my 52, so got an SM7 52 with 8 bounce and despite trying it, I just don't like it at all. It almost feels unbalanced compared to the M Daddy one.
A little work on technique and the MD 52 is back in line! Thw whole experience has made me love the MD4's even more.
Was I just expecting too much from Titleist?
The marketing got me.....and I still want to try their irons in case I'm missing out (even after the wedge thing) but I am now able to hold myself back a bit and consider a true assessment when the time comes!
Also I'll need to play a round with some not just blast a few off the range.

Another post I agree with, got a pair of Vokeys in my bag as like you I guess I bought into the hype/belief they must be good. I can't stand them, been looking at Cleveland and Mack Daddy Wedges the last 2 weeks and I'll be buying something shortly to replace the Vokeys that to me feel like bricks off the face and balance of the club feels atrocious

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd agree totally with you on this about Cleveland,. Years ago I had the Launcher driver and Wedges were the best clubs in my bag, I'd love to have something similar in my bag now. Plus I keep looking at the Srixon offerings that are out and I'm sorely tempted.

Another post I agree with, got a pair of Vokeys in my bag as like you I guess I bought into the hype/belief they must be good. I can't stand them, been looking at Cleveland and Mack Daddy Wedges the last 2 weeks and I'll be buying something shortly to replace the Vokeys that to me feel like bricks off the face and balance of the club feels atrocious
Have a look at the Mizuno S18 Range.(y)