How would you play this hole????

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not how I'd play it but...

If the OB and water is in your head that much I'd say take a club that will absolutely not reach the water even if you hit the purest shot you've ever hit. If that's a 4 iron so be it, but whatever cannot reach the water even if it's a 6 or 7 iron.

Then if there isn't any crazy danger up towards those cross bunkers hit whichever of your fairways you're most comfortable with (assuming they can't reach the bunkers) then a short iron to the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not change your thinking. See it as a hole that now owes you a par or birdie and go on the tee determined that today's the day and forget what has gone on before. Pick a club that will either see you short of the pond and you can control so stops the OOB and play for to hit the green in three and hope to hole a putt. Alternatively, if you are driving well, pick a target, and trust yourself and your routine. The hole owes you remember

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm loving this hit the green in 2 brigade, 510 yards really?
I've got a similar hole and I hit 4w followed by a couple of irons, lay up short of the bunkers, worst score 6, previous to this I would hit driver and have some big old scores on my card.

To be fair, the hole is played from an elevated tee.
With a stiffish tail wind and hard running fairways, a decent smack down there with a touch of draw will see you within range of the green quite comfortably. I've even been on in two myself before but that was from the yellows, not the whites.
There are certainly a few I have played with on the forum that are well capable of reaching here in two given the right conditions.
Damp fairways and into the wind? Not a chance from the back.
Anyway, thanks everybody for the input. I'm playing in a medal this afternoon so will be facing my nemesis hole at around 4pm.
I'll let you know what happens later!
;)

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair, the hole is played from an elevated tee.
With a stiffish tail wind and hard running fairways, a decent smack down there with a touch of draw will see you within range of the green quite comfortably. I've even been on in two myself before but that was from the yellows, not the whites.
There are certainly a few I have played with on the forum that are well capable of reaching here in two given the right conditions.
Damp fairways and into the wind? Not a chance from the back.
Anyway, thanks everybody for the input. I'm playing in a medal this afternoon so will be facing my nemesis hole at around 4pm.
I'll let you know what happens later!
;)

Look forward to the debrief, good luck!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always enjoy reading about people suggesting hitting an iron off the tee on a par 5, hell I even agree it makes sense, but in all my years playing golf I have never seen anyone in the group I'm playing with do it! Normally a driver, sometimes a 3/5 wood and occasionally a hybrid.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I always enjoy reading about people suggesting hitting an iron off the tee on a par 5, hell I even agree it makes sense, but in all my years playing golf I have never seen anyone in the group I'm playing with do it! Normally a driver, sometimes a 3/5 wood and occasionally a hybrid.

I've often hit a 4 iron on our 17th par 5, more often these days a hybrid though now we're back on the tombstones

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Done quite a bit of work with mental coaches and caddies .....

Driver is the only play . Takes the water out of play . Even a 4 iron brings the water and O.B into play . That water is there not to be in play , a driver is easy straight over and away from it . It's the same drive as every other hole ..... Sounds like your over the ball thinking where not to hit it . Not an easy thing to accomplish but once you relax and put a good swing on it the driver will get you inplay . Once inplay then either comfortably lay up short of the bunkers or comfortably carry the bunkers . Don't risk trying to step on a 4 iron to get over and end up in the middle of it . Leave yourself a comfortable yardage and aim for the centre of the green . Just work on a free swing from the tee 👍

D

Deleted member 15344

Driver is the only play . Takes the water out of play . Even a 4 iron brings the water and O.B into play . That water is there not to be in play , a driver is easy straight over and away from it . It's the same drive as every other hole ..... Sounds like your over the ball thinking where not to hit it . Not an easy thing to accomplish but once you relax and put a good swing on it the driver will get you inplay . Once inplay then either comfortably lay up short of the bunkers or comfortably carry the bunkers . Don't risk trying to step on a 4 iron to get over and end up in the middle of it . Leave yourself a comfortable yardage and aim for the centre of the green . Just work on a free swing from the tee 👍

Sorry but driver is not the "only" play

There is always more than one play from a tee shot - always

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Sorry but I also disagree

It's about 500 yards depending on tee position and is a bit uphill at the end so plays, maybe , 530 at longest. That could even be 6 iron off the tee 165 yards, 3 wood 220 yards and leave maybe a 7 iron in. The only difficult shot, but on a quite wide fairway is the 2nd shot. I've played it a few times and know that Smiffy will eventually whamoo the driver down the middle and all fear of the drive will disappear!

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok I've heard of taking a 3 wood from
The tee . But look at the picture of the hole . It looks to me that between the ditch and the water there is little room to land your "6 iron " that you speak of . Crazy play bringing in either the water or the ditch . If your using driver on other holes then you can use driver on this hole aswell .

D

Deleted Member 1156

Looking at the pic in the OP, looks like 3 wood, 3 wood to me :thup:

From the whites it's 210 to get past the pond and with a bit of run out should get close to the marker that is 226 to the green which is another 3 wood or hybrid.

I'd expect to eagle it every time ;)

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the pic in the OP, looks like 3 wood, 3 wood to me :thup:

From the whites it's 210 to get past the pond and with a bit of run out should get close to the marker that is 226 to the green which is another 3 wood or hybrid.

I'd expect to eagle it every time ;)

Agree providing if you can comfortably carry 210 with a 3 wood !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sorry but I disagree. Driver isn't the only play and more than that, for the club golfer it's the hardest club to control, especially when under pressure. Add in nerves should there be a good round going and it is too much of a gamble. Off the whites Smiffy cannot hit the green in two so there's no need to smash it off the tee. I think the problem is the hold is inside his head (arguably plenty of room :whistle:) and he's not necessarily making a full and committed shot.

If we are talking mental approach I still advocate you need to think the hole owes you after a run of bad scores and to not dwell on past errors but pick a club and target and stick with that and make a positive swing.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree. Driver isn't the only play and more than that, for the club golfer it's the hardest club to control, especially when under pressure. Add in nerves should there be a good round going and it is too much of a gamble. Off the whites Smiffy cannot hit the green in two so there's no need to smash it off the tee. I think the problem is the hold is inside his head (arguably plenty of room :whistle:) and he's not necessarily making a full and committed shot.

If we are talking mental approach I still advocate you need to think the hole owes you after a run of bad scores and to not dwell on past errors but pick a club and target and stick with that and make a positive swing.

If you know all this why are you so crap