How would you play this hole????

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My guess is that you are trying to steer the ball away from the OOB, which is causing the slice. There was a similar hole at Hoebridge (13th) and the way I got over a similar issue was to aim down the right of the fairway where the OOB was knowing that my draw would turn away from it. You'll have far more success hitting the draw if you don't try to guard against the slice. Stare the OOB in the face and hit your normal shot without worrying about the result is what I'd do.

I found that this tactic worked well on another of our par 5's, the 8th.
Bunker at driving distance on the right, large(ish) pond on the left (who said it was a links course????)
On three or four occasions I pulled my drive left and found the water.
When I got my new driver I found I could draw it easier than my previous one so I started aiming at the bunker right and drawing it back.
Now it's my regular shot on that hole

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
509 divided by 3 = 3 shots at 170 yds, so that's one option, but I would recommend persevering with the driver. Aim along the right and have the confidence that your draw will bring it back. Provided you stay relaxed, it will work every time. (This is not guaranteed and your home is at risk, along with all your investments.) :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
drive up the right them my 18 deg hybrid at the right side if the green if i miss right looks like i will have a nice uphill chip.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Errr............see my posts above.
I don't possess a hybrid, and the game plan is to hit a 4 iron off the tee
;)

Thats how I would play the hole, it fits to my game plan.

Sometimes you are not doing something wrong, you need someone else to confirm you had it right first time! The confidence of knowing its the right thing to do is empowering.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it makes you feel better this is how I'd see myself playing this hole.

Hook the tee shot into the water and reload for three off the tee, second tee shot lands in the ditch short of the fairway, drop out for unplayable ball and top my fifth around the corner with a 3 wood leaving about 160 to the green.

Finally hit a decent shot with a 5 iron, nice flight and good distance but it's a bit short and left so lands in the bunker. Takes 2 to get out of the number and flies over the green and down the dip on the other side. Chip back up to the green but sadly it's not close, manages to two put from there to slink off to the next hole with an 11 on the card!

So, take a 4 iron off the tee and play for the score on the card rather than worrying about it looking like a cop out - it's sensible tactical course management!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think a 4w would just keep me short of the pond, then a 4i iron short of the bunkers, then a wedge on the green and 2-putt, easy game isn't it :confused:

I would try to picture each of those shots as if they were par 3 tee shots, nothing too big that could go astray, damage limitation :thup:

I'll see how we all play it in a few months.

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First I would hit 3 wood aiming straight down the middle. But hitting iron off the tee isn't girlie whatsoever

Best thing to do is not even think about out of bounds pretend it's not even there, I find if I fixate and worry about missing a certain way in this slicing it right, I end up doing it anyway. So just think hit it straight down the middle and aim at a particular target like a tree

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Hook the tee shot into the water and reload for three off the tee, !

why play a prov if you are in a Hazard, wouldn't you be better just taking the penalty drop in accordance with the rules?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Hook the tee shot into the water and reload for three off the tee, second tee shot lands in the ditch short of the fairway, drop out for unplayable ball and top my fifth around the corner with a 3 wood leaving about 160 to the green.

Finally hit a decent shot with a 5 iron, nice flight and good distance but it's a bit short and left so lands in the bunker. Takes 2 to get out of the number and flies over the green and down the dip on the other side. Chip back up to the green but sadly it's not close, manages to two put from there to slink off to the next hole with an 11 on the card!

So, take a 4 iron off the tee and play for the score on the card rather than worrying about it looking like a cop out - it's sensible tactical course management!

Great thinking but why would you reload the tee shot when you should take a drop from the pond? And save 200 yards?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would take a 5 iron off of the tee, lay up short of the cross bunkers and attack the green with my third.

These days i do not care one jot what other people think or say about the way i play a hole / course. I know what works best for me and that is all that matters. Dont let anyone talk you into playing a shot you are not comfortable with.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is the pond short on this hole that makes it tough for shorter hitting game plans and the OB right for longer ones.

I would break it down into three par 3s, one for each shot.

Tee shot as if you were playing a par 3 with a pond right and hitting over a ditch. Then another one to get me short of the bunker.

Its a tough hole but looks a lot of fun and a good challenge, well designed IMO to test al game plans. Looks like it can be overcome with a solid drawing longer tee shot like a 3 wood or driver, risk rewarded with a good eagle/birdie chance.

I think I would still play it safe, hit a shot I know can clear the ditch but not go in the pond, once the fairway is found off the tee, the hole does not bite so hard, but still looks a challenge.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
4 iron 6iron 8 iron 2 putts = 3points or 3putts= 2 points,you will master that then another hole will do your nut in,that's golf:thup:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Course planner says it's <210 to carry the water, is that accurate?

It's a bit further than that to be honest Stu. It certainly looks further when stood on the back tee anyway.
I would say it's more like 250 if I'm honest.
Whether they've moved the white tee back a bit in recent years and the course planner hasn't been changed to show it I don't know.
For instance, this is the course planner view for our 13th...
plan-13.jpg

There is now another bunker on the inside of the dogleg that sits about 30 yards behind the original one and is out of sight from the tee.
Off the yellows, I can clear both and leave myself in a good position for a fairly straightforward shot to the green.
Off the whites, I can't carry them both so either have to take the chance of landing between them or go further left to avoid them both but that leaves a much longer shot into the green.
The extra bunker was put in about 5 or 6 years ago to my knowledge so you can see how out of date the course planner is.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That certainly changes things!
I was thinking smash driver over the right edge of the pond, but 250 carry is too risky.
I'd think about hitting my 3 iron.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm loving this hit the green in 2 brigade, 510 yards really?
I've got a similar hole and I hit 4w followed by a couple of irons, lay up short of the bunkers, worst score 6, previous to this I would hit driver and have some big old scores on my card.