How would you have reacted? 2

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the 2nd round of the club Foursomes yesterday, the 2nd round matches have to be played by mid August and what with holidays, work commitments (my PP works shifts) this weekend was the only dates we could sort out. We were drawn against a couple of the fast improving juniors, 2 nice lads and they will both be decent golfers in a couple of years.

Our club has a Junior Open running today and of course the lads were playing in that, so we had to play Saturday. I had a B Team match in the afternoon, away with a 45 minute drive and 13:00 tee time, so we booked a 7:40 tee for the Foursomes match. It meant a long day for me, up at 6:00 and not home until after 20:00, I live another 30 mins away from my club.

We had a good match with the lads and they managed to win the last 2 holes with a par, getting a stroke on 17 and a par on the last after my PP put us in a greenside bunker and I only got it out to about 10 foot, so we made bogey to end up all square.

We walked over to the 1st tee and there was quite a queue, one group on the tee, 3 greenfee groups waiting and then a society gathering. I asked the starter if we could 'push in', he said no, because the greenfee groups had
booked their tee times, but he would see if he could squeeze us in before the society. My PP, said "I'm not hanging around, we'll concede, come on lads I'll give you a lift home".

I was pretty hacked off to say the least! Not the first time there have been 'attitude' issues with the guy, we play together regularly and he has a 'flakey' temperament to say the least.

It has now got me considering switching clubs, I have a 25 mile drive including a toll bridge crossing just to get to my current club and yet my office overlooks probably the most picturesque course in the area, with a nice outdoor practice area etc.

On the positive side, I was still pretty miffed on the first tee in the afternoon and drove the green and sunk the 8 footer for eagle! :D Had a good match with a couple of guys that were really good company and won 3 & 2.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you are playing extra holes then surely you have the right to go in front of the waiting people and the starter should know that as you prob wouldnt hold up the people behind for too long ?

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are playing extra holes then surely you have the right to go in front of the waiting people and the starter should know that as you prob wouldnt hold up the people behind for too long ?

Totally agree , if you are going to have a starter, at least they should have some knowledge of matches and how long extra holes are likely to last

PS even if PP was going to leave, you could have played on yourself

D

Deleted member 15344

Totally agree , if you are going to have a starter, at least they should have some knowledge of matches and how long extra holes are likely to last

PS even if PP was going to leave, you could have played on yourself

It was a foursomes match

D

Deleted member 1740

I would've insisted on playing through them regardless.

You have priority over anybody (including the captain) when in a club competition like this scenario.

I'd be having a word with the club manager or whoever is charge of the starters to make sure it doesn't happen again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree. The starter was at fault and should have had the common sense and nous to realise it will only impact those behind for one or two holes at most. I'd also be looking for a new partner. How far is the course overlooking the office from home. If the drive isn't too much more than you do now then go there. Easy peasy for getting holes and practice after work and not a huge pain to get to and from at weekends for comps

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
How would I have reacted?

(a) why concede? you are well within your rights to arrange a rematch at a later date. I totally understand matches where all parties concerned have limited dates when they are available, but it's always funny how everyone turns up for their regular 4 ball at the weekend. Personally, I would rather the club gave a fixed date for the match to be played - if you can't make it, tough.

(b) 2 matches in one day is pushing it really. You lost one, you won the other. So all is not lost. If it were me, I wouldn't be playing 2 matches - if you had extra holes to decide the outcome, then theres a strong chance you could've been late for the next match.

(c) Never argue about tee times with starters. Starters are there to ensure booked tee times start at the correct time (booked tee times are useless without one) - if you haven't got an allotted time and there isn't a spot available...tough (yes, even if you're in a competition, you have no right of way).

(d) consider changing clubs on the basis of this? are you serious? what else do you do when you don't get your own way? apart from asking everyone else for their opinion of course.....

D

Deleted member 15344

(a) why concede? you are well within your rights to arrange a rematch at a later date. I totally understand matches where all parties concerned have limited dates when they are available, but it's always funny how everyone turns up for their regular 4 ball at the weekend. Personally, I would rather the club gave a fixed date for the match to be played - if you can't make it, tough.

(b) 2 matches in one day is pushing it really. You lost one, you won the other. So all is not lost. If it were me, I wouldn't be playing 2 matches - if you had extra holes to decide the outcome, then theres a strong chance you could've been late for the next match.

(c) Never argue about tee times with starters. Starters are there to ensure booked tee times start at the correct time (booked tee times are useless without one) - if you haven't got an allotted time and there isn't a spot available...tough (yes, even if you're in a competition, you have no right of way).

(d) consider changing clubs on the basis of this? are you serious? what else do you do when you don't get your own way? apart from asking everyone else for their opinion of course.....

During a round your must ensure there is no delay of more than 5 mins - as per the rules of golf so yes you do have a right a way to ensure your game stays within the allotted time rules and of course there is good old etiquette

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
During a round your must ensure there is no delay of more than 5 mins - as per the rules of golf so yes you do have a right a way to ensure your game stays within the allotted time rules and of course there is good old etiquette

The OP's stipulated round ended with a tie - they therefore have no rights over any tee time booked in advance. They are not mid match or in any competition - not that it gives them any rights either over a tee time that may have been booked some time in advance. It could well have been another match they were trying to push in front of (i know it wasn't) but that is what tee times are there for - otherwise, why book a tee time?

D

Deleted member 15344

The OP's stipulated round ended with a tie - they therefore have no rights over any tee time booked in advance. They are not mid match or in any competition - not that it gives them any rights either over a tee time that may have been booked some time in advance. It could well have been another match they were trying to push in front of (i know it wasn't) but that is what tee times are there for - otherwise, why book a tee time?

The match needed to go into extra holes to find the winner hence why they needed to carry on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Totally disagree. A good starter shouldn't act like some clock watching jobsworth and should have the nous and ability to adapt to situations. A match going into extra holes isn't going to take forever and by letting them through as I think he should, it then creates a natural buffer behind the group teeing off in front of the play off. That means the tee time held up has a gap in front of them to enjoy and with a bit of flexibility behind it can create a nice cushion throughout

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shame, sounds like a great and tight match. Can only really speak for my course but you would have had right of way on the first.

I would have told my playing partner to hang on a bit to try and get out before the society. Then id have wrote to the committee and request the starter be told that knockout matches going onto extra holes have priority on the 1st.

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
The match needed to go into extra holes to find the winner hence why they needed to carry on.
A match doesn't NEED to go to extra holes on the same day if both parties cannot agree the result of the match. You can either concede (which they did) or arrange the match to be concluded to a result at another time WHICH doesn't clash with any other previously booked tee time or round. They DO NOT have any right to play in front of any group or tee time booked (or even not booked). Any extra holes would be at the sole discretion of any groups already on the course or waiting to play (courtesy may prevail at these times) - the match ended with a tie...that's the end of the round. The starter got it absolutely right - the OP got it absolutely wrong.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No starter at my course except for comp days, we use a ball shute all other days . When the same happened in our matchplay we were told carry on down the 1st, by the good mannered gents who had their balls in the shute :whistle: :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

A match doesn't NEED to go to extra holes on the same day if both parties cannot agree the result of the match. You can either concede (which they did) or arrange the match to be concluded to a result at another time WHICH doesn't clash with any other previously booked tee time or round. The DO NOT have any right to play in front of any group or tee time booked (or even not booked). Any extra holes would be at the sole discretion of any groups already on the course or waiting to play (courtesy may prevail at these times) - the match ended with a tie...that's the end of the round. The starter got it absolutely right - the OP got it absolutely wrong.

Sorry but thankfully our club has stated that players playing extra holes in a match have the right to filter in on the first or the tenth dependant on which holes they started on and I'm guessing that thankfully most clubs work along the same lines and also most golfers have the decency and follow common sense to allow them to quickly finish their match.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A match doesn't NEED to go to extra holes on the same day if both parties cannot agree the result of the match. You can either concede (which they did) or arrange the match to be concluded to a result at another time WHICH doesn't clash with any other previously booked tee time or round. The DO NOT have any right to play in front of any group or tee time booked (or even not booked). Any extra holes would be at the sole discretion of any groups already on the course or waiting to play (courtesy may prevail at these times) - the match ended with a tie...that's the end of the round. The starter got it absolutely right - the OP got it absolutely wrong.

But the OP had already said they could only do this weekend and so I'm assuming that there wasn't a chance to arrange to come back and play to a conclusion. A starter given this information should be flexible enough to be able to adapt and let the match through for the sake of a hole or two. I would be prepared to bet if the course didn't have the starter and the match rocked back up to the first and explained to those waiting, as golfers they'd see the sense and let them on their way. The starter seems to be the root cause of all the issues. It wasn't you was it?

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I'd booked a tee time at a course, paid my green fee then after waiting on the tee due to the course being busy and then got told a members foursome comp was going to extra holes and I had to delay my tee time even more I wouldn't return to that course.

I know comps have priority but going to extra holes is just tough luck and you should plan for that.

From funding out you're opponents how long did you have to play the match by?