How often do people usually change clubs ?

G1z1

Visit site
How often do people usually change clubs and what reason makes you change them ? I have the ping g425 and I’ve just never really been impressed with the irons, I do like the driver wood and hybrid but not really impressed with the irons. On my fitting it was that or Taylor made and I was hitting the ping stuff better but thinking already I would like a change.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
How often do people usually change clubs and what reason makes you change them ? I have the ping g425 and I’ve just never really been impressed with the irons, I do like the driver wood and hybrid but not really impressed with the irons. On my fitting it was that or Taylor made and I was hitting the ping stuff better but thinking already I would like a change.

Whenever I fancy it.

What doesnt impress you with the irons?

G1z1

Visit site
Whenever I fancy it.

What doesnt impress you with the irons?
I dont know really, just never noticed a difference in the old 15 year old ping set I used before. I noticed a big difference when upgrading the driver. I just think I would like to try a bunch of different wedges and irons now.

Visit site
I'm interested in this thread, as I have had my irons since 2007. They are King Cobras, and I have from 4 iron down to sand wedge. I have never felt that there was anything better out there, and thus your comments would be appreciated. I'm 70 next with a handicap of 9.9. I am tempted to change if only for something to celebrate my 70th birthday!!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I dont know really, just never noticed a difference in the old 15 year old ping set I used before. I noticed a big difference when upgrading the driver. I just think I would like to try a bunch of different wedges and irons now.

I dont think iron tech is really that much further developed in 15 years overall.

We do have higher launching clubs with stronger lofts, thats about it? Maybe a tad more forgiveness.

Id suggest if you wanted to feel a significant change in iron - buy forged maybe?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I change clubs when I lose confidence in it...for whatever reason..
I might hit it ok but it just doesn't do the job I need it to.. I might just get bored of its looks or sound...
If the itch has begun it needs to be scratched - one way or the other...
Somewhat worryingly, for me, I feel some sort of stability in my bag....not something that happens too often...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is usually a moment when you get an itch and at that point it is inevitable. It could be that you have simply been looking at the existing clubs for too many years and you just fancy a change, it could be that you are not quite hitting them well and the thought that a new shiney will change everything. There is also the moment a pp rocks up and smashes the ball beautifully shot after shot, all whilst using a new club, and you think 'that could be me'.

None of the above is logical, but we are golfers.

For me, I have had most of my clubs for a few years now and I am generally happy. There are no plans to change them right now but I am well aware that at any moment that could go out of the window and I will be trawling ebay for the next great club / clubs that will turn me into Viktor Hovland (I like Viktor :D)

Sorry, I did not actually answer your main question. I tend to last about 5-6 years with irons, 4-5 with driver, putters 2-3 yrs but I am trying to rectify that. Woods/hybrids have had a bigger churn due to my inability to use them well and the endless search to resolve that problem.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I had 2 set of Mizuno blades (TP original's and Pro original) I switched between for about 15 years (they were the same spec) but 3 years ago i bought my srixon irons and cant see me changing for a while yet

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What made you think there would be a difference ?
Drivers, as a whole, we're truly upgraded 15-20 years ago, with the change to 460cc titanium.
But there has been no developmental improvement in irons since the Ping Eye 2 40 years ago. A huge amount of work has gone into colours and stripes on them though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only started putting my bag together 5 or 6 years ago when I got back into playing. So for the first 4 or so years it was a bit of trial and error, I had a few drivers that only lasted 9 months to a year before I tried something else, went through a few hybrids until I found one that worked, etc. For the last year though I've been at the point where I like everything in the bag, and have a bit of confidence and faith in them so I'm not chopping and changing anymore. I could quite happily use these clubs all of next year too, if it wasn't for that itch of wanting something new and shiny! I think one issue for me is that doing a fitting for brand new clubs is so expensive, but upgrading for second hand is just trial and error and not guaranteed to be better than what you've got.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When they show signs of wear. So putters, never, wedges every couple of years and irons normally over 4 years. Woods depending on what's on offer but my hybrid and 3 wood are 4+ years old.

I do keep a couple of irons from my old set for use on the range which saves a lot of wear and tear. Also get my clubs regripped every 18 month to 2 years.

Visit site
Interesting comments on here thus far. I DO change my driver every 3-4 years (always my weakest club in the bag), but cannot remember when I last changed a fairway wood or my hybrid.
Things I do change fairly frequently are the grips. I reckon that's really important.
If anyone else is using King Cobra irons, I would be interested to hear your comments on them, as I am fairly sure that they are pretty scarce at my club.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I kept my first set for over 15years, started with Ping ISI K, and replaced with the G410 a couple of years back. They are an improvement but not a huge step change. Think they are stronger lofted but still get plenty of height but it wasn't a fundamental shift just a nudge in the right direction. I replaced all my clubs and have 410 hybrids and woods. The Hybrid replacing the 3 and 4 irons are the biggest step on, I don't really miss my 3 and 4 iron - so much easier to hit hybrid than a 15yr old 3 iron (for me anyway)

I think going forward I'll replace my clubs a little more, especially wedges. I think the Ping G410 driver is great for me right now but will look at what's around in a couple of years time and see how my swing is - if i'm out of the middle a bit more often there may be more options that work for me.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I changed from higher handicap nikes, to p770's

My handicap was dropping that's the only reason. Was struggling to control the ball. Can't see myself getting rid of these unless something very pretty comes out.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Irons about every 5 years or so, only irons I've had that lasted less that that were down to inconsistencies in length. They were the jpx forged, would get the odd shot fly 20 yards longer expected.