How much?!?!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Guys......the issue is NOT about having lots of excess cash to chuck about on nice shiny toys, it is about how the hell one manufacturer can justify £300 for a little lump of metal and how another can justify £350 for 70 grammes of graphite! Seems to me we are just lining the pockets of the highly endorsed tour pros as the Benross's of this world can produce products just as good for a fraction of the price.

Completely agree,John Letters has made some great equipment.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Often wondered what 'John Letters' irons were like, quite like the look of the T3's, they look well made, any good ?...

There's a set in the main auction thread, they were good enough for Rickg as a Cat1 to play with so they can't be all that bad.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You're also paying for the R&D. Benross & the like tend to follow not innovate. Also nothing against benross, but they aren't the same. They operate in a different price sensitive market.

Two years ago I went and tried my Ping driver against the Benross driver the Benross came out 10/15 yards longer with a better dispersion, this was the only new driver I have owned think it came out at well below £300.

I remember posting on here about Benross asking players to bring their drivers to the fitting centres and comparing them with their drivers, obviously they were confident that their drivers would stand up to any on the market, don't think I got any replies which surprised me somewhat as I thought it was a good idea and might save a good deal of money.

As to the op that's a crazy amount of money for a driver, I sometimes play with a friend who's a 3 h/c and is always trying different drivers imo he could use any driver and there wouldn't be any differance to his game.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
wont be updating my GBB I was fitted for any time soon. Can afford it, but can't justify it.
My swing speed, face to path, path, and dynamic loft is what makes the ball do what it does. (Weak fade right at the minute).

but you always get a few miracle rounds in with new clubs!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much hate in this thread
The flags post whoever did that made me chuckle.

£650 is not a ridiculous amount of money if they keep the driver for a number of years and play a lot. I'm sure people for example eat out a couple of nights a week or have the ultra HD sky package. It's just about how somebody directs their cash.

The golf industry can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose. I guarantee the buyer believes the purchase is worth it so what's the problem. I bet he performs much better with it then an 8 year old driver from eBay for a tenner. To say they won't is ridiculous. He has supported the market so applaud them for it. I think it's expensive but it's not my call.

I spent money on an epic. Does that make me a moron. Quite possibly but I just love golf and I love the driver. It's worth every penny to me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would I spend that much on a driver head/shaft combo...no. However that's the potential purchasers choice.
I don't see any difference in this arguement than one about cars....why buy a BMW/Merc etc etc over a Dacia.....they all get you from A to B....
If you make that choice to buy that item, then so be it the choice is up to you and no one else.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much hate in this thread
The flags post whoever did that made me chuckle.

£650 is not a ridiculous amount of money if they keep the driver for a number of years and play a lot. I'm sure people for example eat out a couple of nights a week or have the ultra HD sky package. It's just about how somebody directs their cash.

The golf industry can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose. I guarantee the buyer believes the purchase is worth it so what's the problem. I bet he performs much better with it then an 8 year old driver from eBay for a tenner. To say they won't is ridiculous. He has supported the market so applaud them for it. I think it's expensive but it's not my call.

I spent money on an epic. Does that make me a moron. Quite possibly but I just love golf and I love the driver. It's worth every penny to me.

Good point about making it cheap or as expensive as you want.

I think it's a waste of money to pay that amount for a driver but that's just me ,good luck to anyone who wants to pay that amount.

I bet he would perform the just the same if he used a one year old driver at half the price.:thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drivers are the same as a lot of golf equipment to me, I am sure that many people like to and can afford the latest custom gear and that is fine. I just cannot bring myself to do it, probably just a skinflint. See a new driver a like, I will have it half price next year. Always fancied the Callaway X-Hot, finally bought one last year for £75 new.

Thing is, you stick the word 'golf' on anything and it ramps up the price:

Standard polo shirt £20, Golf polo shirt £40.00
Chinos £15, golf trousers £50.
Astroturf trainers £40, spikeless golf shoes £80

See a pattern emerging.

The one that really gets me are golf GPS devices. My smartwatch has all the functions of a golf GPS watch plus many more yet cost less. My car satnav has a colour display and up to date mapping but that cost £95 where a similar golf one costs £300.00.

Sometimes feel that we are being taken for a ride.