How many rounds before a ProV1 loses its qualities?

IanMcC

Visit site
I altered my swing plane recently, and I am hitting the ball much straighter, and visiting the trees less.
I have just completed my 12th round with the same ProV1 golf ball. It still looks OK.
I was wondering if any studies had been done on a ball losing its qualities after multiple hits.
Does the forum think I should keep using this ball, or will it not be performing in the same way as a brand new ball?

peld

Visit site
12th round or 12th hole ?!

guess it depends how scuffed it is - check out mygolfspy as think they did a test

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id safely retire a ball that had done 12 rounds, get it framed and fondly remember a time I didnt shank one into the woods for a good few rounds!

Id probably retire it after 2 rounds of not losing it to be honest!:ROFLMAO:

But seriously

12 rounds is some going! Ive seen a few videos online etc, it mostly comes down to scuff marks and if youve played multiple sand shots with the ball - I cant imagine its still in top condition, id retire old trusty myself!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I altered my swing plane recently, and I am hitting the ball much straighter, and visiting the trees less.
I have just completed my 12th round with the same ProV1 golf ball. It still looks OK.
I was wondering if any studies had been done on a ball losing its qualities after multiple hits.
Does the forum think I should keep using this ball, or will it not be performing in the same way as a brand new ball?
12 rounds, I guess it depends on how many windmills and clowns noses it hits! seriously, how can you hold onto one ball for 12 rounds :D

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mine seem to lose their swimming abilities somewhat earlier than their 12th round...
Having said that, I do have a long running one that I sometimes put into play on a ceremonial basis every now and then (low jeopardy holes only)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure if the cover looks ok it'll be fine? If I knife one and put a cut mark in it, it goes in the reject pile, but otherwise I keep using a ball until I lose it pretty much. I can't imagine repeated hits is going to damage the ball internally, unless you're hitting it like Bryson.

Edit: I did once use a Wilson DX2 for ten rounds, and eventually it cracked in half when hitting a wedge tee shot. :LOL: But that was a DX2, not a ProV1.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Whenever I've used ProV1s the longevity is usually counted in holes per box....not rounds per ball...I seriously do not get on with them!!!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stick a photo of it on here so we can see it. Ideally put it next to a brand new pro v1 so we can see the difference.

IanMcC

Visit site
I knew I was tempting fate starting this thread. Lost it at the 16th today. To be fair, it was looking a bit worse for wear after today. Titleist logo had lost some ink, and a pinhole nick where it hit a tree earlier. I had decided, even if I made it to the clubhouse with old faithful, it would be retired. Ironically, after almost 13 rounds with the same ball, I lost another at the 18th.:D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I get one comp round with a new one then maybe a bounce game or two before it gets relegated to the practice bag. The odd time if I've really caught it with a wedge and it's really scuffed it might not even get a 2nd round and go straight in the PB.

IanMcC

Visit site
Personally I get one comp round with a new one then maybe a bounce game or two before it gets relegated to the practice bag. The odd time if I've really caught it with a wedge and it's really scuffed it might not even get a 2nd round and go straight in the PB.
If we were still playing qualifying rounds then the ball would have been retired ages ago. All of our winter comps are non qualifiers. Still play comps though. I had a 3rd with that ball on Sunday. That's what prompted my posting, really, as the ball was still performing well enough on its 11th round for me to get a place.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are making a ball last 12 rounds you

a) are not hitting it hard enough

b) need new wedges

If I get 2 rounds out of Prov1 without it looking obviously used I am a little surprised.

Sometimes I will continue to use them for a practice round when I am on my own.

D

Deleted member 23270

Ernie Els once said there is only 1 birdie in a golf ball so I change mine every 4 or 5 holes on average.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I found 4 pro V1’s today and gave them to a PP. He asked if he could play with me next week ??

RichA

Visit site
I'd love to see the golf courses some of you are playing. If a drive goes into the short rough at ours, it's 50/50 whether you'll see it again. If it's in the long rough, 10/90.
I think I've played 2 rounds of golf without losing a ball in the last 6 months.

IanMcC

Visit site
If you are making a ball last 12 rounds you

a) are not hitting it hard enough

b) need new wedges

If I get 2 rounds out of Prov1 without it looking obviously used I am a little surprised.

Sometimes I will continue to use them for a practice round when I am on my own.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:mad:
I hit it as hard as I can, and my wedge play, for a single figure handicapper, is crap, so it makes no difference.
Terrible comments though, for the friendly initial post that I intended.