When should you use a new ball?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't understand the logic. If you start with a new ball and you loose it you'll then pull out whatever is in your bag. You loose a ball then give up mentally by budgeting for only one decent ball per comp. You would be just as well start with a used ball then go onto a new one if you play good. Same thing eh. Why scrimp on the ball you use especially in comps. Different mind set required I think. Just my opinion.

Completely agree.

What you play, whether new or as new, is less relevant ( I have no idea how new my balls are because I rely on others losing them first - but they are indistinguishable from new for me. Once they have any damage they get changed for the next hole)

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I generally get out a new one for a competition and then use it for another 3 or 4 rounds in friendlies. Only lost two last year and none so far this (short straight hitter) so it's not expensive.

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I'm a little bit erratic I'll use an older ball on possible OB holes, also on the first hole when I'm rusty. Its mostly in your mind anyway, performance new ball vs old ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I'm a little bit erratic I'll use an older ball on possible OB holes, also on the first hole when I'm rusty. Its mostly in your mind anyway, performance new ball vs old ball.

The issue that Tommo's raising is that you are putting problems in your mind when considering the ball you are playing in relation to the hole. The minute you (in your example) decide a hole, or tee shot, warrants an older ball is the moment that the hole has gained an advantage over you - precisely because so much of this game is in the mind. You would be far better off playing these older balls all the time!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Starting a round with a new ball is just like starting the round with clean clubs, shoes, kit etc. It just seems like the right thing to do

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Other than a new ball being nice and shiney - I reckon it doesn't make any difference to my shots whatsoever if I use an old ball. Too many other aspects of my swing have much greater and very obvious influence on the outcome of any shot. So I use a new ball whenever I feel like it.

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The issue that Tommo's raising is that you are putting problems in your mind when considering the ball you are playing in relation to the hole. The minute you (in your example) decide a hole, or tee shot, warrants an older ball is the moment that the hole has gained an advantage over you - precisely because so much of this game is in the mind. You would be far better off playing these older balls all the time!
I kinda agree but the fact is certain holes can play on your mind, maybe for a couple of rounds, maybe a lot longer, and if you buy new balls they have to be used sometimes. Losing a brand new pro v1 hurts a little, losing a cheapie or old one who cares.

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently ive had two balls split down the middle, Dunlop and Wilson Staff, both are fine to play with in winter / softer conditions, I'm not sure if that could happen to pro v1s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I kinda agree but the fact is certain holes can play on your mind, maybe for a couple of rounds, maybe a lot longer, and if you buy new balls they have to be used sometimes. Losing a brand new pro v1 hurts a little, losing a cheapie or old one who cares.

Not sure I buy into this at all. Once I lose the new shiny I've put into play on the first, I'll pull out any ball after that. I certainly don't see the fact that it isn't another new one, as any indication of defeat, I've given up on the round or anything else. It's simply a ball to hit on the next hole. New or old, it's an inanimate object and has no idea of what has gone before. Stand on the next hole, pick a target and swing (and repeat until you hole out). Nothing more than that

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to play several rounds with a ball before retiring it to the practice bag when it starts to look too scabby but if it's a big comp I'll put a new ball in play for the occasion.

Showoff! A new ball every 4 or 5 holes sounds about right to me. Or every 4 or 5 shots, on certain Scottish courses. Or every 4 or 5 seconds, if it's the first tee on those Scottish courses. :D

On a more serious note, do you really get more than a couple of rounds? At my home course where there is sensible rough, none of that Trump nonsense, I can have a ball for 36 holes occasionally but by the end of that it isn't something I would use again. Obviously, I do hit the ball a few more times than you in a round but not that many more if I haven't lost the thing.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently ive had two balls split down the middle, Dunlop and Wilson Staff, both are fine to play with in winter / softer conditions, I'm not sure if that could happen to pro v1s.
Dunlop - a man of your calibre. Stop being a tight arse and start spending some of your hard earned wedge

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When I've worn the dimples off the old one. If I'm in a reasonable vein of form I might get 4 or 5 rounds out of a ball before it goes in the practice bag, which never sees the light of day.

If I lose a ball I'll play whatever comes out of the bag when I stick my hand in. Could be new, could even be a foundling.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
New ball every time I tee off. If I finish the round with it, it will sit in my bag for a few weeks until I have a re-fill and it will come out and go in the shag bag.

S

Snelly

Can’t believe the amount of people who spend a small fortune on clubs bag shoes trolley apparel, you name it and yet they play a crap scuffed ball. I'll use two per round at least and if it scuffs up with a hard wedge shot it will get changed.
Would you go on trackman, try a new driver/shaft combination with older balls.....NO.....to then go out the course and blow all that extra distance away by using a crap ball.
Don’t scrimp on balls.

This sounds crazy. 2 new balls a round? That would be £300+ a year on Pro V1's for me and I would think that ludicrous.

Unless a ball has a major scuff, I wouldn't change to a new one for 3-4 rounds at least.

I think the difference between a new and older ball is negligible at the level we play. Even if I got the best balls in the world for free, I still wouldn't be doing anything different. In over 30 years of playing golf, I have never noticed the difference between playing with a brand new ball and one that is 3 rounds old.

I would go further and suggest that changing your ball after 9 holes has never made the slightest difference to any of your scores.

Please could you send me the Pro V 1's that are only 9 holes old? Thanks.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This sounds crazy. 2 new balls a round? That would be £300+ a year on Pro V1's for me and I would think that ludicrous.

Unless a ball has a major scuff, I wouldn't change to a new one for 3-4 rounds at least.

I think the difference between a new and older ball is negligible at the level we play. Even if I got the best balls in the world for free, I still wouldn't be doing anything different. In over 30 years of playing golf, I have never noticed the difference between playing with a brand new ball and one that is 3 rounds old.

I would go further and suggest that changing your ball after 9 holes has never made the slightest difference to any of your scores.

Please could you send me the Pro V 1's that are only 9 holes old? Thanks.

It does if the bright white of a new ball is easier to spot in the trees/rough/heavy stuff :D

I only change mine when I can be bothered.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I always use an old ball for our 1st hole, because it has water on the right and gorse bushes all down the left. Maybe a new ball for the 2nd hole. :)

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only piece of equipment you use on every shot is.....the ball. Why scrimp after the small fortune that you've spent on all the other equipment. Have you been fitted for a ball? I have and ended up with the ProV1x. That's what I tend use in comps and will use use a new one if the one in play is scuffed.

During the winter - use whatever comes to hand from your ball of choice. Not much point in using a new ball when carry, roll and the greens are what they are in winter.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a more serious note, do you really get more than a couple of rounds?

Yes, although it does vary. Sometimes they last a few rounds sometimes they get a bit scuffed up sooner. I'll also keep playing a ball in bounce games when it might be a bit past it for competition use!

And, OK, I admit it I do sometimes lose them! :eek: