How many really good shots do you hit in a round?

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
After hacking it around for a gross 85 the other day which playing off 18 is pretty good for me, whilst I played some good shots and the putting was good I felt I only played one shot that I felt was a real proper golf shot.
After playing a par 5 rather poorly I found myself with my 5th shot 10 yards behind a green side bunker with the pin 10 yards on, hit a perfect shot that landed softly and rolled into the hole for a par.
Now for me this kind of shot is a rarity and it felt great hitting what I would call a proper golf shot.

Out of the 4 par 3s that I parred I didn't hit one green but managed to scramble well.

So I suppose it shows you can come in with a decent score with just playing steady golf.

How many lets call it proper golf shots do you hit if you have a good round?

This is question is probebly not for you low guys;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Dropped 1 shot on Sunday but felt like I didn't hit a bad shot ( dropped shot was when a second shot hit the flag and knocked it off the green )

But no hard fast rule - hit the ball well and shot in the 80's hit it poorly and played better than HC

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The difference is how many were awful shots... I had an absolute nightmare yesterday and felt as if I had never picked up a club... think that's the difference between a high handicapper and a mid you will at least get it round most holes

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very occasionally I'll hit an iron shot, right out the sweet spot, it sounds like a proper golf shot, feels like one and when you get your head up it's flying like a proper golf shot in the direction you intended. Alas, me making those shots are about as rare as rocking horse poop.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
All it takes is one to keep you coming back, I'd say I usually hit 1 or 2 that feel like really good shots and keep me coming back for more.

Last time I played 2 shots really stand out.

One was a greenside chip. Was about 5 yards from the hole the ball was about 2 feet below the green. Had to options. The safe putt or a riskier high chip landing just on the green to feed down. Any further and it was goning to fly past. Choose the riskier and pulled it off exactly how I had pictured it and managed to hole the chip.

The other was a hybrid from a bunker. Contact was so clean I didn't feel like I'd hit the ball at all.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I also shot 85 on Saturday, which is a personal best. From those shots, I'd say that there were two "great" golf shots.

See you play at Prestonfield ,played there last year , my daughter lives in Edingburgh and I visit a few times in the year ,maybe get a game with you sometime.

G

guest100718

Ultimately its where the ball ends up that matters. I hit good shots that have finished poorly and bad ones that have finished well.

G

guest100718

Does a knifed wedge that ends up, somehow, very near or in the hole, count as a good shot?! ;) :D

Yes. In the same way that a well struck wedge that spins back off the green and down a hill is a bad shot

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually have 2 or 3 standout shots per round that I try to memorise. Good example yesterday after a 3 wood off the tee on a short par 4. I stood around waiting for a green to clear and, as per the unwritten rule of waiting, proceeded to duff the 3 wood about 50 yards left and into rough. Ball was sat up so a 9 iron out and into the centre of the fairway left me 60ish yards to the pin. 56 degree wedge to 2 feet and putt for par. Lovely stuff.

That was the only good wedge I hit in that round, don't remember the others... ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm struggling with what's a proper golf shot

if its a shot executed as a pro or scratch golfer would with a result to match i.e holing a bunker shot, 40ft birdie putt, split the fairway at the limits of your distance etc then its much less than 1 a round

but if its shots that are as good as it typically gets for me i.e based on my own expectation of the shot before I hit it, so up & down from a bunker shot, 40ft par putt, split the fairway for a reasonable distance, then a small handfull

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
very few. I will probably hit quite a number of pretty decent chips and pitches to save myself.

10 holes yesterday.

3 gir
3over. not bad considering I didn't play all that well and missed a 2 footer for birdie at the last. :angry:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must have lower standards than most. I played yesterday and not counting putts I'd say I was really happy with at least a dozen of them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the 18th on Sat just about summed up the whole round.

Blocked tee shot in the edge of the whins, chipped out sideways, smothered 2 iron, slightly thinned PW in the hole for a birdie;)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
the 18th on Sat just about summed up the whole round.

Blocked tee shot in the edge of the whins, chipped out sideways, smothered 2 iron, slightly thinned PW in the hole for a birdie;)

:rofl:

Similarly, I had a slightly hooky tee shot off the 12th on Saturday, followed by another pulled 7i that hit the middle of a tree and came back the way, about 20 feet further on than I had played from. I then grabbed a 6i and put it to an inch from the cup. Absolutely brilliant strike, right out of the middle, high soaring flight, landed 10 feet away from the pin, and finished here...