How many really good shots do you hit in a round?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you click on the pic above I see I can buy a framed print for $46.99 or a canvas wrap for $18.99

If I go for the framed print will you sign it for me
:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have found that low handicappers are far more likely to dismiss their golf and claim not to have a good shot all round. In reality they hit lots but their expectations are so much higher. I went out on Saturday, played 12 holes and hit at least 5 really good golf shots, maybe more. A 2 handicapper may dismiss my assesment of my good shots or it may be that I remember them so well admist the tosh that went along side them. Actually, there was minimal tosh on Saturday which made it a really good day but as a high handicapper you learn to embrace the good shots more as if you fixated on the bad ones then you would never come back, far too many of them.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've shot 80 and not hit one good solid shot tee to green. On the other hand I've gone out and nearly every shot has come out of the middle and still shot 80! As long as you get some decent distance and stay out of trouble it's surprising how little difference it actually makes at our level. As has been said many times, the short game is where it's at for scoring. Of course, when you hit it good and the short game is on then it doesn't get much better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can hit the ball well but not have good club selection or reading of the conditions so you won't score as well as your ball striking will suggest. That and a stone cold putter!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Mixed bag even though I scored very well on Saturday, 7 fairways in regulation, 5 GIR, 30 putts, 1 sand save and 1 chip in from the edge of green around 16ft. I think everyone's definition of a good shot will be slightly different, but I'm really pleased with my ball striking at present so I feel I am hitting more good shots than bad shots!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread, I can often strike the ball really well but score poorly, yet other days chop it round and score really well

Dam game!

That's probably the most infurtiating thing. I know I usually compensate for weakness but if I am having a good day I'm ending up in places I just am not familiar with, such as the middle of the fairway.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me a good shot is one that went where I intended it to.

So I hit quite a few a round, most of the time. Probably 70-80% of my shots go where I want.

e.g. Hit the fairway with my driver. That's a good shot. Hit the green from 150 with my 8i. Another good shot. Sunk a 3ft putt. Good shot.

I just down to how you personally define what a good shot is.

If I stiff the 8i from 150 for me that's no better shot than hitting the green. I just got a bit luckier that time.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flushers, on my target with shape & trajectory I plan???

Probably no more than 10 per round on a good day.

Whether they end up as good as I would like is another question. That pulled necky slice that ends up 2feet away is not a good shot. Good result yes.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get more hacked off with the toey, necky, fat or thin shot that gets a good result and the pp's of the group all congratulate the shot, when deep down inside it never got the results it deserved

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I usually have 2 or 3 standout shots per round that I try to memorise. Good example yesterday after a 3 wood off the tee on a short par 4. I stood around waiting for a green to clear and, as per the unwritten rule of waiting, proceeded to duff the 3 wood about 50 yards left and into rough. Ball was sat up so a 9 iron out and into the centre of the fairway left me 60ish yards to the pin. 56 degree wedge to 2 feet and putt for par. Lovely stuff.

That was the only good wedge I hit in that round, don't remember the others... ;)

Crumbs, 3 wood second shot into a short par four? Just how long are the long par fours at your place?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Crumbs, 3 wood second shot into a short par four? Just how long are the long par fours at your place?

Count the shots (3W,9i,56*,Putt = Par)! The 3-wood was (only) off the tee. Though it did give the impression that it was the 2nd shot.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies, I don't know how I gave that impression when I wrote "Good example yesterday after a 3 wood off the tee" ;)

S

Snelly

Ben Hogan famously answered this question by saying it was one per round, two on a really good day. The definition of good shot in the context he was asked in was a shot that came right out of the sweet spot that ended up exactly where he intended.

This has always stuck with me. I reckon by that definition, maybe one shot every couple of rounds with a full swing would be my tally.