How Many Greenkeepers Does Your Place Have?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was talking to a fella who used to be a greenkeeper at a local (very posh and expensive) course near me the other day and asked him how many greenkeepers they had there.

9 (Nine)...we have.....3 (three).

Nine will take some beating. How many are at your golf course?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was talking to a fella who used to be a greenkeeper at a local (very posh and expensive) course near me the other day and asked him how many greenkeepers they had there.

9 (Nine)...we have.....3 (three).

Nine will take some beating. How many are at your golf course?

alas 9 will be beaten straight away....;)

12 full time and 5 or 6 extra summer workers. Plus we have a full time handyman who clears up trolleys, does the flower beds and other tidying stuff around the clubhouse

i'm always impressed by clubs that have not many green staff yet do a great job still. One of the clubs in town here Torvean has 2 and TBH the course on the whole is in pretty good shape.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't know how many St Mellion has but when we were playing there they were mowing the greens with hand mowers.

So they must have a fair few if they doing that, because that would take ages

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
12 at ours over two courses. Not including the dog.
Sight to see in a morning. One mowing greens, one waiting to handmow, one raking bunkers, one on the fairways. Head and assistant ahead changing holes and general testing and tidying.

Mowing is constant throughout the day in summer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think we have 30-32

That's just not fair :D. They don't sit around drinking tea though, both courses are always immaculate.

I think our place has 3 plus a part timer. It is not enough for the area they have to deal with. I believe they will be taking on more help during the season, it is needed if they want to elevate the course, greens in particular.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
5 with a head greenkeeper. Just the one course to look after but it's only when you walk the course without your clubs as I did and looked at all the work that needs to be done that you realise the scale of the task.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
5 with a head greenkeeper. Just the one course to look after but it's only when you walk the course without your clubs as I did and looked at all the work that needs to be done that you realise the scale of the task.

The problem is that during Spring and Early summer it's just a full time job to keep your head above water, let alone actually doing all the improvements around the course

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously finances are finances and clubs with less cash will likely be able to afford fewer greenstaff.

I was at an 18 hole club that only had 3 green staff. They kept the course in decent nick and did a great job.

The difference was it was much harder for them to do forward planning and do big drainage projects in the winter or things like tree removal or replacement. These still happened, but on a smaller scale than would be ideal.

The dressing of the course in the summer was still ok but not quite at the standard of other better resourced clubs.

Obviously they were seasonal workers to did long shifts in the summer and worked less through the winter. So priority had to be given to keeping the course playable during the season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously? and you pay them all?

Moogie might be a while before he replies so I will help a little. His course is Close House, 2017 British Masters course. It has 2 x 18 holes so naturally has more than normal. Add to this the owner is a multi millionaire who has the money to make it a tip top course and is prepared to put his money where his mouth is. I don't think anyone knows about the costs of the club but it does have significant numbers of corporate membership, it is the go to club up here if you want to impress a client or want to run a golf day. It has individual members as well who pay a tidy sum for up here but not compared to the rest of the country still. It may make a loss overall, I don't know, Moogie might, but from what I here he is prepared to live with that as he can afford it.

Both courses are immaculate by the way. They might not be to your taste but they are undoubtedly well maintained. The 30-32 greenkeepers do a very good job.