How Many Greenkeepers Does Your Place Have?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Moogie might be a while before he replies so I will help a little. His course is Close House, 2017 British Masters course. It has 2 x 18 holes so naturally has more than normal. Add to this the owner is a multi millionaire who has the money to make it a tip top course and is prepared to put his money where his mouth is. I don't think anyone knows about the costs of the club but it does have significant numbers of corporate membership, it is the go to club up here if you want to impress a client or want to run a golf day. It has individual members as well who pay a tidy sum for up here but not compared to the rest of the country still. It may make a loss overall, I don't know, Moogie might, but from what I here he is prepared to live with that as he can afford it.

Both courses are immaculate by the way. They might not be to your taste but they are undoubtedly well maintained. The 30-32 greenkeepers do a very good job.

Sorry, I don't get it. Admittedly only played it once and it was the championship course, but came away very underwhelmed.
Much prefer the original 18 at Matfin Hall.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I don't get it. Admittedly only played it once and it was the championship course, but came away very underwhelmed.
Much prefer the original 18 at Matfin Hall.

I prefer the Filly to the Colt so it may be worth you giving that a go. I would not rush back to play the Colt and would certainly not pay the £100 it costs. What is undeniable however is that both are very well maintained. Like the course or not, always a subjective issue, but that aspect it is not really up for debate I would suggest.

I actually have a voucher to play Matfen this year so I will be able to put your theory to the test. I don't think I have played it before so I am looking forward to it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A head green keeper, a deputy and a team of three others. We get temporary staff in over the summer as well. The course and in particular the greens have come on leaps and bounds especially the greens which have begun to get a very good reputation and mentioned in places like the Jamega tour and at county level

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
21, plus seasonal.

nuimMSG.jpg

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
+1 for that. Playing the Filly for the first time tomorrow. Won't need the crampons for that, hopefully won't need flippers either

Very strange response, with no relevance to the question being asked

As for tomorrow
On Monday there was about 20hrs of non stop rain, with numerous courses closed in the Newcastle area.
With many courses locally still closed today
Colt closed today, filly had some holes closed too, with mats on some tee boxes also

If you’ve not already paid in advance to play tomorrow
Then I personally wouldn’t go
It will be wet, like everywhere else in Newcastle
Which will just fuel the fire and give you an even greater negative slant on the close house venue than you already, quite clearly, have.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Very strange response, with no relevance to the question being asked

As for tomorrow
On Monday there was about 20hrs of non stop rain, with numerous courses closed in the Newcastle area.
With many courses locally still closed today
Colt closed today, filly had some holes closed too, with mats on some tee boxes also

If you’ve not already paid in advance to play tomorrow
Then I personally wouldn’t go
It will be wet, like everywhere else in Newcastle
Which will just fuel the fire and give you an even greater negative slant on the close house venue than you already, quite clearly, have.
Not the first post to digress. I like the range at Close House, teaching facilities (have had lessons there) & clubhouse. Only bit I dislike, in common with many others, is the Colt course, built on a precipice. Will be playing the Filly quite a bit since my mate joined this year. I'm open minded about the Filly & have enough imagination to guess how it will play in dry conditions

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moogie might be a while before he replies so I will help a little. His course is Close House, 2017 British Masters course. It has 2 x 18 holes so naturally has more than normal. Add to this the owner is a multi millionaire who has the money to make it a tip top course and is prepared to put his money where his mouth is. I don't think anyone knows about the costs of the club but it does have significant numbers of corporate membership, it is the go to club up here if you want to impress a client or want to run a golf day. It has individual members as well who pay a tidy sum for up here but not compared to the rest of the country still. It may make a loss overall, I don't know, Moogie might, but from what I here he is prepared to live with that as he can afford it.

Both courses are immaculate by the way. They might not be to your taste but they are undoubtedly well maintained. The 30-32 greenkeepers do a very good job.

I've just joined Close House as well, not a full membership but what they are advertising as 'Academy Premium", you get all the facilities that a full member does, bar playing in the competitions where you win a trophy and you don't get to play on the Colt course, but everything is yours to use.

The amount of work that get carried out is amazing, new half way hut on the Filly getting built, the Filly has not had one before, drainage, bunker maintenance, general tidying, I can't wait to get started, 1st of March is when my membership starts and weather permitting I'll be up there quite regularly.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not the first post to digress. I like the range at Close House, teaching facilities (have had lessons there) & clubhouse. Only bit I dislike, in common with many others, is the Colt course, built on a precipice. Will be playing the Filly quite a bit since my mate joined this year. I'm open minded about the Filly & have enough imagination to guess how it will play in dry conditions

Having walked the Colt during the masters the course is hardly on a precipice, there are 4 or 5 holes that have inclines, but you not climbing Scarfell Pike as your post suggests it is akin to. It will get your blood pumping if you are a little unfit, so for those who are unfit or get out of breath easily, a buggy may be a good option if playing the Colt.

If I remember correctly there are a couple of holes on the Filly that are probably steeper that anything the Colt has to offer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just joined Close House as well, not a full membership but what they are advertising as 'Academy Premium", you get all the facilities that a full member does, bar playing in the competitions where you win a trophy and you don't get to play on the Colt course, but everything is yours to use.

The amount of work that get carried out is amazing, new half way hut on the Filly getting built, the Filly has not had one before, drainage, bunker maintenance, general tidying, I can't wait to get started, 1st of March is when my membership starts and weather permitting I'll be up there quite regularly.

If I lived closer then I'd be joining with you. It's a great deal and a lovely place to be a member.