How many Divisions do you have

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Nice and simple how many divisions are your medals/Stablefords and also do you have a “best gross” prize

I know a few lads 5 HC below are getting a bit disillusioned going round in 39/38 points and some going under gross and not even getting into the top 10 of the division

Our winning scores used to be around 39/40 but since WHS and HC’s going up to 36 and 54 now if you don’t get over 40 points you have zero chance of being in the vouchers.

I think we should be changing divisions from 2 to 3 - up to 10 HC , 10 to 20 and then 20 above - also think there should be a small best gross voucher prize as well

So what’s it like at your place ? Seeing the same trend of high scores

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 divisions always. Gross for the monthly medal only. Up to 12, 13-18, 19+.
The WHS changed for everybody, so they shouldnt be disillusioned. They just arent playing well enough. People need to stop comparing to the old system - it is apples and pears.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Divisions are according the number of entries with Divs 1 one two or three.

Where the are enough players for 3 divisions we have no set handicap for each division the total number of entries is divided so that there is an equal number of players in each division
(very easy to to do with IG ).

We no longer have a best gross prize:mad:

In club comps it is roughly up top 10, 11 to 16 and 16 and over. (using course handicaps)
Where there are 2 divisions it is up to 11, 12 and over.

In Seniors it is up to 16, 17 to 21 and 22 and over.

D

Deleted member 15344

3 divisions always. Gross for the monthly medal only. Up to 12, 13-18, 19+.
The WHS changed for everybody, so they shouldnt be disillusioned. They just arent playing well enough. People need to stop comparing to the old system - it is apples and pears.

People going round level or under gross beating their handicap isn’t well enough ?

and I don’t think anyone was comparing the systems ?‍♂️

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have three for the general medals and stablefords. Div 1 up to 11, Div 2 between 12 and 19, Div 3 everything else. Todays best in Div 1 was. Nett 69 (par is 70). Div 2 best was a nett 65 followed by a couple of 67’s. Div 3 best was a 64 from a 35 handicapper. Next best in Div 3 was a 73. We do not have a best gross, a shame as my 73 today was the best by three.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
3 Divisions. 12 and under. 12 to 18 & 18 up. Our comp's are currently being won with relatively low scores, 38 pts won the mid week stableford A Div this week. +1 won the Bogey comp and net 66 (gross 77) the last medal.

Even in the C division which traditionally sees some fairly extreme scores the winner of the last medal was only net 69 (gross 91) with a par of 70, which is bang on for me.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
We have 2 divisions, 14 and under then 15+. We do quite often have a best gross prize which is equivalent to 1st prize in the division (£25).

Stableford and nett scores are usually better in division 2 which makes sense to me.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
One division for all though there is also generally a gross prize. Winning scores have not been unusually low, the last 2 being 4 under, with fields 150+ strong. Last season also no different from previously.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't answer the main question, how many divisions, but the winning score, entry of 140-160, seems to be in the region of 38-39 points. That seems pretty fair, suggests accurate handicaps.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the winning score, entry of 140-160, seems to be in the region of 38-39 points. That seems pretty fair, suggests accurate handicaps.
But is it not the case that likely winning scores cannot be judged on points alone - but rather by points relative to course rating and par, as stableford points are related to par, but handicap is related to course rating ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
But is it not the case that likely winning scores cannot be judged on points alone - but rather by points relative to course rating and par, as stableford points are related to par, but handicap is related to course rating ?
Only if one is particularly pedantic!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No, it's not the case! As Course Rating and Par are 'fixed', Stableford Points is sufficient - at least for a comp where the same Tees are used.
Edit: Of course, the above only applies within an individual club. If trying to compare winning scores across different clubs, (which may have been what you were meaning) I'd agree.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

We have 2, as a low handicapper it is a waste of time playing other than to play off the back tees.
You need to he beating handicap by minimum of 5-6 shots to win overall comp.

Guy shot 5 under gross a couple of weeks back and was 12th.

Following week a 21 handicapper won overall comp by 5 shots in absolutely brutal conditions, certainly the toughest I've played the course in 10 years as a member. I just shook my head and laughed when I saw the winning score.

Very different scenario than previously when I thought my very best golf might win a comp, not the case now, too many golfers with too many shots....

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
No, it's not the case! As Course Rating and Par are 'fixed', Stableford Points is sufficient - at least for a comp where the same Tees are used.
With a Playing Handicap of 3 last year, I scored 29 points in a comp.
I was only 2.65 shots over my handicap as I achieved a differential of 5.65.
Course was - par 70, Course Rating 72.0, Slope Rating 140 and a PCC of +1 on the day.
34 points off the yellows at my own club on the same day would have got me a similar differential.

A difference of 5 points, but similar differentials would have been achieved.