How many club members need or want an official handicap

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the different threads on nomads and official handicaps suddenly set me thinking about the reasons people join golf clubs.

I did a quick count and discovered that more than 20% of my members do not have an official handicap. A very small number of those are in the process of doing scorecards for handicaps but there is a solid hard core of members who are not interested in handicaps and competitions.

Are we unusual to have that kind of proportion of members without handicaps? Do you know the proportion at your club?

D

Deleted member 18588

I can only base it upon my experience but it would appear that the majority of Seniors at our Club have no interest in comps and, therefore, see no real need of an official handicap.

They would quite happily have their own arrangements for their roll ups.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can only base it upon my experience but it would appear that the majority of Seniors at our Club have no interest in comps and, therefore, see no real need of an official handicap.

They would quite happily have their own arrangements for their roll ups.

Most of our seniors have no interest in medals even off the yellows and I would think (I haven't checked) that a proportion don't have active handicaps and are happy playing the roll ups or their own games. That said, everyone I play with are active competition golfers, have active handicaps and a lot including me, are working hard on their games to get the handicap down. Most of those that have joined in the pandemic seem to have put handicap card in

D

Deleted member 23344

The seniors comps at my place are always well subscribed. I certainly want to maintain my handicap, but not for club competitions. My reasons are (1) so I can continue to play for my club’s senior team against other clubs (2) to plot my progress and (3 - a new one) to have a hopefully more appropriate handicap to use for Stableford points scoring when playing other courses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a membership in the region of 800.

Checking through the handicaps pre WHS we had 115 who had not played in any comps since at least January 2018.

There are probably quite a few others that have played only occasional comps since that date.

We have a seniors comp every other Monday we regularly get 100 plus entrants so it is not just a seniors thing.