How is your game going so far this season?

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, we are well into the new season of medals, majors and matchplays, but how if your game going? Are you striking it hot, finding the consistancy or has it all gone to pot and your ready to cash in on your equipment..

So far I'm quite content. I considered the thought of the SLDR after a fitting but haven't splurged yet. My bag is the same as last season and I am playing pretty well so no need to change. I've had a handful of top 5 finishes in a couple of major/boarded comps and top 10 finishes in others, I won an individual stableford comp and I've now had a consistent month or two where I've shot under my handicap getting a couple of small cuts to from 18.8 at some stage this season to 16.8.

I had some lessons over the winter to improve my consistency and I really think it's paid off, my short game has really improved and I am more confident in attacking from 100 yards in, chipping around the green is more solid. even putting has improved massively, i'm giving myself the chances but sometimes just not finishing them off.

The one thing I am lacking at the moment is that killer instinct. I've had a few rounds over the past few weeks where I have managed 39 points, but a lot of the time i'm on 34/35 by the end of 14 and I just cannot keep the points clocking up for the last 3 holes and get the big 40's for the wins.

How are you guys doing?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Until yesterday things were going great, had stayed fit and healthy, played plenty of different courses, found a decent pro in Alistair Davies to use when needed, won a medal and also a midweek medal, got a putter in the bag that I love and looks like staying long term, yeah been going great. Sadly seem to have tweaked the back again yesterday so maybe having a little rest enforced, hopefully wont be long and it will ease off (that or its physio time again lol)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finding some consistency. Only been playing a year, but playing to a 28 handicap fairly regularly now, and playing 3 or 4 times week. The practice is paying off, and I finally broke 100 last weekend, so pretty happy with my game overall atm.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Awesome start to the year for me, a long patch of scoring in and around my handicap (20+ games in a row) then a downturn for maybe 3 months, now starting to get back to scoring in the region I feel I can so am happy. No new equipment this year but have had my irons loft and lie checked, re gripped and swing weighted.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been a bit static really this year. Thought I've been playing well, but simply not getting the scores in. Changes to swing to come from now and through the winter months aiming for it all to come together and a handicap reduction next season.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not too bad. Putting is now sorted so driving has gone wayward. Still suffering with the odd Sxxxk every now and again. Shot 82 twice this year with bad putting so its close. Should be a few shots lower than I am but not quite there yet.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only come back to full membership and playing properly this year after over 10 years of playing between 0 and 4 times a year. Given that, I'm pleased to have my handicap as low as its ever been and just happy to be playing regular golf. Played in a couple of medals but not pulled up any trees.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not too bad, started the year at 15.6, won a 36 hole hcp board comp to get dust to 14.1 back in April. Since then been a steady run of 0.1's, although I've felt i've played ok, with anywhere between 1 and 4 bad holes wrecking the cards.

Last week I hit buffer for the first time in ages at 14.5, so hopefully I've turned a corner and can secure another cut or two before the end of the season.

Equipment wise the bag is completely new this year, Driver, Fairways, Hybrid, Irons and Wedges, so has taken some getting used to.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm having a great season, I'm starting to feel a bit down in the dumps because there's not enough of a competition season left. I set myself two (realistic) goals this year; to get my handicap to 15 and to break 80 on my home course. I've smashed both of those with a best round of 73 and a handicap of 12. It has been great to finally play to an ability I know is within me (I continually get grief about being a bandit which really winds me up). So now I'm setting my sights on a single figure handicap but it's against the calendar now, I started the season with a handicap of 19 and I can't help but think that being 9 at the of the season would be a great badge to wear. I think it's too late though, I'd need to be hitting regularly low 70's in what remains and that might be a stretch too far without confidence in my consistency.

I was tempted to seek out lessons this year but I've just gone and done my own thing instead and it seems to be working fine. I'm already excited by what I might be able to achieve in next year's season.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's going quite well after a slow start. Broke 90 for the first time about 6 weeks ago and I've been on a bit of form since. Won £115 and a new Callaway stand bag in the last 3 weeks. Missed out on a third place finish on countback and got the handicap down from 21.4 to 19.1. Last 6 comps have resulted in 3 wins, 2 4th places on countback but 36 points in both and 1 round where I was quite ill and still managed 32 points. The 2 wins were off 21 and the rest has been off my new 19 handicap.

I was about ready to jack it in early June but then I posted my swing on here and got some guidance from the Coach and all is well. the length I'm hitting the ball is unbelievable, with the 3 wood going up to 290 in calm conditions(don't have a driver).

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm about 4/5 months behind this season, only just starting to get out a bit, first comp last week (i was awful) but it is coming together, probably just in time for winter, then it will take until August to get going again!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going ok.

The only target I set myself this year was to bring the fun back into my game again.

So I stopped having lessons because the more lessons I had, the worse I got and the less I enjoyed playing. Still practice occasionally but not as much as I used to.

The results, actually enjoying playing again :D. Had a couple of cuts (including a 2nd in a major) and apart from a couple of blips, I'm actually striking the ball hell of a lot better and the scores are starting to come.

I could still do with getting a little more consistent, but it's coming.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a bad year so far (have had better ones), target achieved for the year, but week to week consistency is missing and I'd be much lower if the bad weeks didn't get me a +.1
Have hit 75 twice this year but only had one competition win, quite a few 2nd/3rd and about £250 in pro shop vouchers (hopefully a bit more for last weekend). Quarter finals of the doubles Matchplay, and leader of the Order of Merit (position in Monthly Medals count for overall title.

....bit guess what, I'm still not happy. Losing too many shots in a round (7th hole is killing me confidence wise), and until I put together a whole good round I won't be happy with my game.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Started the season with a much improved consistency, but wasn't scoring very well. So would get a cut then give them all back.

Got a new driver started off well, now can't seem to hit it for toffee. But purchased a 5 wood and hybrid and hitting those well. So driver is staying in the boot til the winter.
New Cleveland wedges have improved my short game and shots from inside a 100 yards no end. Think these new clubs and a slower tempo swing have seen a massive up turn in my game in the last 2 weeks.

Had two 42 point rounds both containing a silly blob. Which have seen my handicap go from 15.0 to 11.8. Lowest ever handicap, hopefully I can continue to play to it and end the season in cat 2 :D

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mixed season for me - could barely get near my handicap early in the year. The last few months have been better with a few mistakes costing me in the comps.

Probably on my best run of form but moving house tomorrow so will not play for a few weeks. Hopefully the form will be there when I return.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been really enjoying every round and practice sesh. Mix of up and downs in spring but have timed decent play for the comps for once. Long game is really solid (16 GIR in last round) and just playing a bit of catch up with the short game. Three wins have been nice so have lots to be thankful for. Still feel like there's more to come but doesn't everyone...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Reached my long term goal of single figures at the end of last season so this year was about trying to stay there.

Started the season playing like a complete hacker, with yet another spell in Shanksville. Since then I've gradually improved and handicap has come down a bit too.

Made the final of the Mixed KO, to be played in Septmeber, and am looking forward to being around to play in the Club Championship for the first time in a few years.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Started well but hit a bit of a slump, got cut from 14 dead to 12.2 then have climbed to 12.8 without a cut, qualified for it 36 hole major and in the 1/4's of the singles matchplay.

Reasonably comfortable my game is turning for the better and hope to get a cut or 2 before the season finishes.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
After getting to a lifetime low of 6.4 , last 16 comps have been 13.x0.1 and 3 buffers, now 7.7 ,

most of the .1 were only a shot or 2 shy of buffer , couple of bad holes killing my rounds ,

aim is to get back to where i started the season,happy with most of my game so when greens soften up again i hope to get back down .. HOPE !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
went from 8.4 back to 9 then down to 7. cant complain.

played in a pro-am and didn't disgrace myself, got a hole in one, lowest gross and a win. lifetime golf achievements for me! yay! :D

the fire has gone from my belly at the minute. I couldn't really care if I get more cuts or 0.1s from now until the end of the season. pretty sure there is a good score in me somewhere near the end of competitive play this season.