How is your club dealing with Covid Tiers restrictions and food/beverage operations

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Had been working well until New Years Eve when someone had a positive test that had been in the clubhouse (either the office or the toilets as that is all that's open) so the clubhouse closed for a deep clean. Back open now and the culprit outed within our whatsapp group (yes they are on it) and given suitable abuse. Booking working well, course drying but annoying when you are playing well as I've done the last few days and you can't carry on round and see what you could have scored

Not sure that I follow your drift. Did the person know they were positive when they went in the clubhouse?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Honest question that someone at work asked me and I was not sure. If you are in tier 4 in your region, can you travel to another, neighbouring, region also in tier 4 to play golf. This relates to someone who lives in Leicestershire but his club is just over the border in Nottinghamshire. Both are tier 4 regions and there is no need to cross any lower tier regions to get to the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Clubhouse is closed to enter but (I think) a very cut-down clubhouse menu is available with a few tables and chairs outside under a heated gazebo. H/W hut is open to serve 'takeaway' teas, coffees, soup, sandwiches, beers, soft drinks, confectionary, bacon rolls, heated pasties and pizzas (we have a small pizza oven in the H/W Hut and as long as you phone ahead a small pizza will be waiting for you). Again a few tables and chairs outside. I think they have been ticking over OK - indeed HW House seems normal business from groups, though throughput is down due to only 2-balls playing.

Our indoor swing studio is closed. But our driving range is open, and pros are providing lessons there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Honest question that someone at work asked me and I was not sure. If you are in tier 4 in your region, can you travel to another, neighbouring, region also in tier 4 to play golf. This relates to someone who lives in Leicestershire but his club is just over the border in Nottinghamshire. Both are tier 4 regions and there is no need to cross any lower tier regions to get to the club.
I suspect T4 to T4 is ok for allowed activities within a reasonable distance. I suspect me going from Aylesbury to Princes in Kent would be frowned upon.
T3 to T4 or vice versa not allowed.

wjemather

Visit site
No. The guidance is that "You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area" (gov) or "Must not leave a Tier 4 area" (EG).

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I would suggest that some common sense must prevail.

Yes, I accept the advice that you must not leave your Tier 4 area, but consider the following. You live in a Tier 4 area near the border with another such area, as your colleague does. Your golf club is two miles over the border, with the nearest alternative being in your own county, but fifteen miles away.

Nobody in their right mind, surely, will criticise you for travelling two miles instead of fifteen. By definition you will have stayed local, despite not actually staying within your own T4 area.

I’m not one for breaking rules, but there are bigger concerns at the moment than someone crossing an imaginary line, when absolutely everything about his reason for doing so is rational. If anyone disagrees, remove the golf club from the equation and replace it with a supermarket - we wouldn’t even be having this debate.

wjemather

Visit site
Nobody in their right mind, surely, will criticise you for travelling two miles instead of fifteen. By definition you will have stayed local, despite not actually staying within your own T4 area.

I’m not one for breaking rules, but there are bigger concerns at the moment than someone crossing an imaginary line, when absolutely everything about his reason for doing so is rational. If anyone disagrees, remove the golf club from the equation and replace it with a supermarket - we wouldn’t even be having this debate.
It's people thinking it's ok to break the rules a little bit that result in nationwide lockdowns. It simply isn't justifiable.

Also, essential retail is treated differently to unnecessary golf, and even travel within T4 is/was limited.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It's people thinking it's ok to break the rules a little bit that result in nationwide lockdowns. It simply isn't justifiable.

Also, essential retail is treated differently to unnecessary golf, and even travel within T4 is/was limited.

Please don’t patronise me - I was answering a very specific question.

Golf was allowed under T4 rules. A visit to the supermarket was allowed under T4 rules and still is.

Simple question for you. If you were still allowed to play 2-ball, socially distanced golf, and had the choice of remaining relatively local within your own (previously named) T4 area, in line with guidance, but that journey happened to involve a 20 mile round trip, do you honestly think that’s more sensible than a 4 mile round trip to a club in another T4 area, just because that T4 area is not the local authority where you live? Really?

Leaving aside whether you think golf in itself was a sensible pastime before last night’s announcement, do you not think visiting the local club is eminently more reasonable than travelling 10 miles, just because the longer journey happens to keep you within the boundaries of your local authority?

Because to me that’s the Covid equivalent of being a jobsworth.

wjemather

Visit site
Please don’t patronise me - I was answering a very specific question.

Golf was allowed under T4 rules. A visit to the supermarket was allowed under T4 rules and still is.

Simple question for you. If you were still allowed to play 2-ball, socially distanced golf, and had the choice of remaining relatively local within your own (previously named) T4 area, in line with guidance, but that journey happened to involve a 20 mile round trip, do you honestly think that’s more sensible than a 4 mile round trip to a club in another T4 area, just because that T4 area is not the local authority where you live? Really?

Leaving aside whether you think golf in itself was a sensible pastime before last night’s announcement, do you not think visiting the local club is eminently more reasonable than travelling 10 miles, just because the longer journey happens to keep you within the boundaries of your local authority?

Because to me that’s the Covid equivalent of being a jobsworth.
A visit to the supermarket outside your T4 area was allowed under T4 rules, which stated "within your local area wherever possible". Such provision was not provided for golf.

Making a 20 mile round trip would be stretching the limits of guidance to "stay local", "avoid travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city" and "you can travel a short distance".

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont think you will find anywhere in the guidance (&/or legislation) that "your local area" was defined as "the local authority in which you live". The guidance has indeed been written to be read with common sense - in that "your local area" means the area near, or close by, where you live. The guidance does not specify what constitutes "local" - it does not specify distances, nor local authority boundaries. It merely exhorts us to stay close to home. One may regard this as one of its drawbacks

Obviously the extent of the various tiers (as was) had to be defined, so they were based on local authority boundaries. But the prohibition was on travel from one tier to a different tier - it was not per se on travel from one local authority area to another. (Bear in mind , particularly (but not exclusively) in urban areas, local communities are often split between councils. Indeed, close by me are examples where one side of a street is in one council area, and the opposite side is in a different council).

Edit: Ps - I'm referring only to England

Last edited: