How is your Club doing ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
How is your Club doing in this harsh economic climate ?

Just had our accounts through for the year ending 30th April 2012, and we seem to be doing ok. Membership fees are up over 3%, and green fees, including Societies are up 5%. Bar takings and catering is up over 10%

We employed a marketing manager last year, and he does seem to be earning his salary. As with all Clubs we have had people leave, but judging by the figures these have been replaced by new members, on a roughly 1 to 1 basis.

We also do two or three Open days a year, and generally pick up 10 or so new members from each day. Other local Clubs have been struggling, and I know we have picked up quite a few members from nearby courses. The quality of the course and the friendliness of the Club has helped considerably with this.

The figure that surprised me was Society green fees, as I understood that whilst Societies were still booking, the numbers playing within the Societies was dropping. I assume we must have had a lot of new Societies playing, including the Golf Monthly Forum.:)

Not an Accountant but the figures look good in these difficult times. Interesting to know how other Clubs are doing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We don't get the figures until the AGM but on a casual observation, we definitely have a large number of new faces so the club have clearly gone a long way to replacing those that have gone. Bar prices are still reasonable and although we've had issues with the caterers they have just appointed a new firm based locally who have a good reputation from as they run a very good local pub restaurant.

Course wise it is getting better especially the greens and the new greenkeeper has had a good first season. It isn't perfect but the quality of the bunkers is 100% better than this time last year and the overall presentation is much better. I still have some concerns that the club doesn't do enough to promote itself via social media but that aside I'd give the club 6.5/10 on the last year up from a VERY average 5/10 the year before

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've been lucky in that a club nearby has had to close and a lot of members have come to us.

Double edged sword though, great for competitions to see new people and we now have a stronger single figure representation but it means that those quiet saturday afternoons are no longer quite as quiet!

Ah well at least the fees might not go up next year...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Was in the office going thro' the figures on Friday. Bar take up from £149k to £163k(and we still have two weeks of the financial year to complete), with a margin of 26%nett. Green fees up from £52k to £70k. Cash in hand at the bank currently sitting at almost £300k. All membership catagories are full.

An extensive winter maint. and course improvement programme about to kick off. Locker rooms about to be gutted and extended. Lounge to have a balcony added.

We're doing ok.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
quite honestly...awful. Extremely close to folding, but management trying to find a way of making money. Unfortunately, it's all a little too late, but we continue to hope! The easiest way of making money, and getting new members, is reducing membership fees, but they seem hell bent on upping costs to try and make the money

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was in the office going thro' the figures on Friday. Bar take up from £149k to £163k(and we still have two weeks of the financial year to complete), with a margin of 26%nett. Green fees up from £52k to £70k. Cash in hand at the bank currently sitting at almost £300k. All membership catagories are full.

An extensive winter maint. and course improvement programme about to kick off. Locker rooms about to be gutted and extended. Lounge to have a balcony added.

We're doing ok.

Which club hobbit?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site

We're doing ok.[/QUOTE

Its good to see some clubs are doing well still. All the best to them

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
quite honestly...awful. Extremely close to folding, but management trying to find a way of making money. Unfortunately, it's all a little too late, but we continue to hope! The easiest way of making money, and getting new members, is reducing membership fees, but they seem hell bent on upping costs to try and make the money

Thats a real shame if you are talking about Thetford. Always heard its a good course and I drive past it regularly and it looks in top condition.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours is booming thanks to the fox hills buy out.

Membership is up
Bar takings up due to shed loads of function nights,
Course is the best it's been ever according to founder members

An added bonus is the new two tier flood lit range, 9 hole par 3 course and gym/spa that's in the pipeline

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats a real shame if you are talking about Thetford. Always heard its a good course and I drive past it regularly and it looks in top condition.

I am indeed. It is a great course, and at the moment, it's in superb nick...but charging too much for membership means people aren't coming through the door!

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wabinez, its a great shame if the club ceases, I played the course a few weeks ago and although I found it tough, it was very good, and my group were made to feel very welcome. How much is membership, in relation to surrounding clubs?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Full membership is £820 a year + all your memberships to NGU, EGU etc. It may not sound expensive, but for the area, it is! Direct competition clubs can be £200 a year cheaper, but aren't as nice to play...but most people won't mind that if they are saving that amount of money!

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Ours is booming thanks to the fox hills buy out.

Membership is up
Bar takings up due to shed loads of function nights,
Course is the best it's been ever according to founder members

An added bonus is the new two tier flood lit range, 9 hole par 3 course and gym/spa that's in the pipeline

FYI - your website is great! Makes a great impression of the club and course. Credit to your web company/designer.