State of your Club in present climate and what can be done to improve

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think we are all agreed, especially North of Birmingham that it has been a wet summer and the golf season is almost over.

We have had our course closed on a regular basis and also had to cancel Open Competitions with the loss of bar/catering income which has affected our revenue stream dramatically. Societies have also had to cancel because of the bad weather. Wages have still to be paid along with fixed overheads and wages amount to almost 50% of turnover.

What sort of year has your Club had and what is being done to overcome any loss of revenue through bar takings/ future membership/ lack green fee income and how do you see the situation developing in 2013?

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club has been fantastic condition-wise this year. It is regularly talked about in terms of the best greens in our particular area (an area which encompasses several very very good courses). This is largely thanks to our head greenkeeper who has the course in impeccable shape. The greens are regularly running above 11 on the stimp and I believe have been up to 13 ish for the Scratch Open (whilst still running true). We recently hosted a TP Tour event, which on our little members course is a fantastic. The only thing that could do with a bit more attention are the bunkers, although I believe that the major reason behind them not always being 100% is cost.

The course has a little river / creek running through it which burst its banks a couple of time when heavy rain came down. However the course has probably been closed only 3 or 4 days since I joined in April which is a remarkable achievement.

Money-wise, although I don't know specifics, I understand we're probably in the same boat as everyone else at the moment. Not doing as well as in years gone by, but keeping afloat. I know they've put on a lot of offers to entice new members and societies but am not sure how/if it's helped the bottom line. Would have to ask someone a bit more involved on that side of things.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Our course hasn't closed once this year, at times it's been the only course open in the area, as word has gotten round members from other local clubs have been flocking to us to play when their places have been closed. Whether or not I agree with this policy of keeping the course open no matter what is irrelevant, the course may have looked a bit crappy at times because of the weather but money has been coming in and lining our owners pockets even further, good for him. Unfortunately, the limited funds he puts back into the course is slowly becoming more and more apparent.

Financially I think the club is doing well, although I'll never know for sure. He'd be doing even better if he listened to the committee members and the head pro and forked out for the much needed improvements around the course. Better course, more green fee's and members...simple as that. At the moment we have an average quality course, excellent greens, just poorly designed and very regimental. Stick a few ponds in, few more bunkers and extend some of the tee boxes and we'd be one of the better courses in the area.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think you guys in The South are very lucky with your weather. We have probably lost 30 days this year which of course includes the winter period. Do not know how clubs can carry on in these circumstances. Sme clubs in our area are probably going to go belly up. It is not that bad for us but a sad reflection of the times we live in.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Think you guys in The South are very lucky with your weather. We have probably lost 30 days this year which of course includes the winter period. Do not know how clubs can carry on in these circumstances. Sme clubs in our area are probably going to go belly up. It is not that bad for us but a sad reflection of the times we live in.

Lucky you....29 & 1/2 days since April 1st in total.:mad:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've lost about 30 days since spring. It was noticeable a few weeks ago that the course was left open for 2 societies when in any other year it would have been closed. They must be starting to see some shortfall in income.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont know the loss in terms of days but i do know of a minimum of 2 outings that got lost due to weather and both with around 20 people each, that in itself is a big loss.

Unsure how the sums will look come AGM but I do know we were down around 20 members before any rain came.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure until we get the figures at the AGM how we are doing but there does seem to be more and more new faces about the place which is encouraging. It is the new greenkeepers first season and he had a big job on to try and get the greens back. He's not there yet and he has said it will be a three year plan but the work he's done on them and the course in general is very encouraging.

I think we've had a good number of societies which are always important but we try not to have to many as the club likes to pride itself on being a members club and that the membership can get out whenever they want. It's a tricky balancing act but one they normally get about right. The catering side has suffered but they have got new ones in. The new incumbents happen to run a very successful eaterie in Warfield (a village near Ascot) and have done some very good stuff initially. Add in members get 10% off at the restaurant too and its a win win.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been happy with my course this year (my first year there). The condition has been very nice and the course improvements they made over the past couple of years seem to have really workd out well.

The main annoyance for me is the bar closing early during the summer months and the halfway hut rarely being open.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Won't know what the figures our for our course until they publish them at the AGM, though I expect them to have take a big hit on income, as we were closed for a massive period of time over the monsoon season we suffered down here.

Were going through a transitional period at the moment with a lot of changes to the facilities, we now have a new younger more forward thinking pro, currently having our range rebuilt and expanded, the clubhouse renovated and new nine hole course and short game area building due to commence. So all this outlay v's the shortfall on income isn't going to look good in the books, yet the fees don't seem to be budging.

I'm over the last few weeks despite all the positives i've said many times on here about my place and the good changes they're are making starting to consider a potential move to another club. The only reason is that the amount of footfall that the course is now starting to see and levels will only increase to cover costs of everything whilst member fees stay down, is starting to make it harder to get on when you want to.

So for me i'm tossing up whether to stay or go.