How is the recession affecting your golf?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning all

we are working on a piece for a forthcoming issue on the effect of the recession/credit crunch on golf.

Mainly it will focus on clubs and club golfers like us, but it will also cover the state of play right up to tour level

I'm really keen to include as many annecdotes/info from real golfers as possible...

So,is anyone on the forum...
Letting (or thinking of letting) their membership lapse
Expecting to play less golf next year
Not taking lessons with a PGA pro
Will not upgrade their gear as often/at all
Dropping their annual golfing holiday/lads golf trip away
Not going to the Open/PGA etc
Sky/Setanata subscriptions
Golf magazine subscriptions!!!!

Or, are you going to battle thought it and make cut backs elsewhere in order to keep on playing/watching/reading as much as possible. If so where will you make those cut backs...

Giving up the gym/taking a vow of abstinence/no non-golf holiday/no new shoes for the kids etc etc!

Thanks in advance for your sage words

DCB

Visit site
no new shoes for the kids

Oh Mike Come On ! It is Chrisrmas after all and a good pair of shoes for Christmas usually lasts the kids through to the start of school in August or September !

As for the Golf, there may well be a slight cutback in playing away in the odd outing with friends etc. I think that this is the most obvious area to make cut backs in. We all pay our annual subs and play regularly at our own clubs and although a few outings each year are nice, they are not necessary. Forum Days are okay though!

The annual weekend away with the boys is booked for late April, so that one has stayed on the callander.

There may well not be the urge to look at and try new gear, but hey, we're golfers so we have that in our genes dont we?

All in all. I don't thnk there will be a massive change in my expenditiure on my golf over the coming year. If the recession we are in does get worse, then who knows, but at the moment its status quo.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't have a club membership and therefore have a selection of clubs that I play locally. Throughout the summer I would play at least 9 holes every week alternating tracks, but now I play 9 holes every other week at the cheapest and hit the range on the off weeks instead. Unfortunatly the only other place I could sacrifice funds is my childs clothing and nappies... I asked the question, it received a stern no!

I'm hoping that Santa will brind me all the shiny new clubs I want because I won't be able to budget for them in the new year!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not sure how it will effect me, as my bag is pretty fixed for the next few years, and I have already paid next years subs. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

I have also paid for my Florida golf trip in April (accomodation and flights), but have not paid for the car or the golf yet. I may try a few cheaper courses while I am out there, but may be not, as I have gone to the same place for the last 4 years, and know where I like to play. It will be alot more expensive however, what with the exchange rate.

We have already decided to go somewhere else in 2010 though, as rising costs have become an issue. The flights and accomodation (and my wifes tennis coaching) have become way more expensive than 2007/2008 and I guess it is only going to go one way from here. This trip is probably costing more than £1500 more than previous ones. That sort of rise is not sustainable.

I might need to balance the cost of lessons against the cost of lost balls. If I get better, I may lose less balls. It depends on the price of ProV1's.

The main impact will be if people at the club don't renew. There is a real danger that we will lose quite a few members, and this will impact on next years subs. I do know of a few who are considering not renewing, and a few whose jobs are in doubt.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love it, It hasn't affected me in a bad way, only good. Courses seem quieter than they were 10 months ago so I get on alot easier. Plus clubs are dropping joining fee's and slashing the yearly subs, or offering 14months for the price of 12 etc. A number of clubs who dont partake in the 2fore1 have even given us 50% green fee's to encourage along, evidently, they are feeling the squeeze and I am taking full advantage.

I suppose I am lucky enough to be living with my G'friend at her parents house whilst times are hard. Saving for our own place.

I have just bought a new set of C/F mp52's and a new putter(which I sold to fund a SC2.5) I have also ordered a rescue wood from online golf at a whopping £29, again a result of the crunch I suspect. If anything, I have been encouraged to spend where others have had to hold back.

I would dread to think what I would have to sacrafice if I lived in the real world, but i'll tell ya now, it wouldn't be golf related. :D

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Mike
The playing of golf not affected.
The paying for the playing of golf not affected.
The paying for the playing equipment for the playing of golf not affected.
Feel very fortunate but saddened for the many others who are affected.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hopefully it won't affect me too much.

The bag's contents are now fixed for the forseeable future barring breakage, loss or wear and tear. The fees at the club run through to May and then they are paid quarterly so no great hardship. Havn't had lessons for years so there's no expense there. The cost of the magazine is next to nothing over the year so tht stays.

So unless, come the New Year, there is nobody in my area left who doesn't want to learn to drive, I should be ok. But I know its going to be hard on some.

Beaker

Assistant Pro
www.bedalegolfclub.com
Hi Mike,

Its not effecting me at the moment but I am trying to prepare for the worst, incase it does effect me!!

I pay my membership fee by direct debit which is £32ish per month over 10 months. So to allow me to play I've made a few cut backs.

I have binned my locker which i never used and it was £100 a year for that!

I've just been on a golfing holiday and don't think I will go on one until 2010.

I won't be taking time off to go play on golf days. I used to go to Forest Pines once a month to the Pub Club competition but found it cost me between £50-65 and i would do this 4 times a year.

As for equipment, im quite happy (at the moment!!) with my gear and don't see myself changing anything. I did buy a new Titleist driver when in America last month but don't think i'll be changing in 2009?!

I have binned off golf lessons. I found that they would cost me at least £150 a year and weren't actually improving my game so its not the financial climate thats effected that, just the fact that i seem to play better with just practise rather than lessons!

I do subscribe to both Setanta and Sky Sports and that won't be stopping. I don't have movies or music chanels and at the moment I can afford to pay for them both so they will be staying, I don't watch any other chanels!!

So all in all I have cut back, saving at least £400 which doesn't include the cost of upgrading my bag!!

I think we are all going to have to watch the penny's so saving a minimum £400 means I can justify my membership fee!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have seen notices up at the club offering 15 months for 12 at the same price as we have paid for the past two years. I had been contemplating moving up from 5-day to 7-day but that may be put on hold.

As others, my bag and accessories (I just succumbed to AG's SC2.5 deal) look to be stable, a 3-wood might be nice but not essential. Other than replacements, balls, tees, possibly battery I think its fixed.

I have committed to 2 Forum specials, and hope still to be able to play the society games.

Desperately though I need them, I have put off the lessons for now. In order of priority I would rather get the practice on course so as to go to Goswick.

At the moment all seems OK, problem is there isn't much leeway in other areas though dieting seems favourite.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm quite lucky because the recession doesn't really affect me in anyway, mainly because my membership is only £150 for a year, being a junior. Santa is hopefully bringing new shoes :D.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Mike, my fees are up £50 at one club, but that’s not too bad considering the climate. My other club, well I won’t find out until March. Definitely not buying new irons, I’ll be into my third year with R7s. No new putter, but possibly a new wedge when the edge goes off my 58 vokey. Not long got a new trolley but that was just a 3 wheel push jobby. All in all it’s not really effecting me personally and I intend playing as much as I have in the past if not more.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having been through redundancy earlier in the year I can honestly say that being a paid up member of a golf club saved my sanity. This provided me with several hours of activity every day for no additional outlay.

Looking at my position now, I can still say that I will keep up my membership. After all, when you take into account the amount I play at weekends it still is remarkably good value when you compare it to other weekend activities.

The bag contents may change less this year or at least I will be keeping an eye out for bargains. Will not be tempted so much for the latest gear but may feed my addiction with the occasional purchase of last year's kit at reduced prices.

Otherwise, I am just going to have to see what the year brings. If things stay as they are and with prices in many areas coming down then my spending may remain unchanged. if redundancy threatens again then I may need to change my views.

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi
I suppose Iam lucky that I work on the railways and that there is no recession, it’s just that the trains are not overcrowded as much. Golf club fees have only gone up £20 to £815 having got all new golf gear last year the only thing I will be buying is GPS and a ping 3 wood in the January sales, although you have to feel sorry for the guys with young families who are loosing there jobs

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
I know the old idea of a job for life has long gone but I certainly feel working in the Public Sector has its advantages in the recession. However, government spending will have to be cut back again in the next year or two which means possible redundancies and below inflation pay rises for the foreseeable future. Never going to be rich working for the NHS but at least my job feels more secure than many in the Private Sector.

I have taken the plunge and joined my first golf club as they had reduced the joining fee so my golfing experience in the credit crunch has been positive so far.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mike,
I am one of the lucky ones. They cannot make me redundant as I am already and permanently redundant, a pensioner in mid 70s.
I will be looking out for new toys as always but I am going for used clubs or older models as I cannot see any advantage in buying the latest super weapons.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
All good for me, spent over £600 on new gear this month and membership paid up till next summer.

Only thing I have noticed is that the beer has gone up about 20p in the club house.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Must say i agree with gb72.

There is no point staying at home waiting for the phone to ring about a job or worrying about letters from the Bank etc. It is probably more important at times like that to have an outlet to take your mind off any worries you might have and Green fees or Club Membership costs if kept reasonable are really worth it.

I do think Clubs will struggle badly though. It's the peripheral income which will fall away first such as drinks and meals in the club house and as someone else mentioned, lessons not being taken.

Some clube are showing by their actions that the 'Crunch' is starting to bite by offering things like 'pay as you play full membership' with reduced annual fee.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mike,

Perversely it has been a bonus for me. I was made redundant in September with 3 months garden leave, and golf has been my outlet. I have also put effort into job hunting, jobs around the house and helping with the kids, but I have also played tons of golf and invested in a series of lessons which I've never had the time for. Crunch time comes in January when the salary stops, because decent jobs aren't growing on trees at the moment. I will make every effort to renew my club membership, because then I can play as much as I want essentially for no extra cost.

Have turned down two golf trips because I can't commit the time if I don't know what a new job holiday set up will be. Need a new three wood (Ping G10), but am looking at second hand which I nornally wouldn't.

And have a job interview Friday so fingers crossed!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically the situation i am in has left me in limbo whether i can afford to join a new club! Money is really tight and as im in the building trade you can never be sure what work is around the corner so ive had to put long term golfing plans on hold to be on the safe side! which is a shame as its an important to get a way form the stress of work! I might even have to go pay and play for a while.