How is the recession affecting your golf?

davykyle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I'm not convinced that you are going to hear what you thought you might hear in this forum, that people are going to cut back their spending on golf.

We read this forum avidly because we all suffer from the same afliction. We are all golf addicts. Therefore we find ways and means legally to keep feeeding our habit. It does mean that other areas of our lives are cut back i.e eating bread and water, so that we can continue to play and drool over new items of equipment.

My bag is fairly set for next year but thats not to say that some changes wont occur.

Like some of the others I pay my subs on a monthly basis now and I've found that if I stock pile Pro V1's throughout the winter months, buying a dozen every month or every other month that reduces the expenditure throughout our warmer months.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Mike

As stated by someone else -

The playing of golf not affected.
The paying for the playing of golf not affected.
The paying for the playing equipment for the playing of golf not affected.
I do feel very fortunate but saddened for the many others who are affected.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Mike,

The "credit crunch" (Swear word here) has affected my golf-related spending for sure.

Whilst some say there are other corners to cut so golf is not affected this is not true for me. I simply WILL NOT compromise the quality of lifestyle we have as a family or see my wife and daughter go short in any way whatsoever just so I can continue throwing similar, if not more, amounts of cash at golf next year.

I have always been a bit of a "equipment junkie" who likes to have the newest and shiniest equipment in the bag but as a self-employed businessman (motor dealer) my confidence for the forthcoming year has been dented so whereas I would be looking at shiny new gear, I have decided to stick with what I have by-and-large until the market recovers.

Next year myself and a few of the boys were planning jollys to Spain and Portugal. These plans have been put on the back-burner as I cant justify spending £1000 or so for a long weekend away when things are as they are at present.

I will probably be cutting back on society days next year. I usually do 20 or so a year but when I consider that with booze etc, they come in at £80-£100 per year then a reduction is prudent.

I havent considered cancelling my membership as it works out at such good value. For the year just ending it has cost me £6.40 a round so financially it makes more sense than paying £20-£25 to p&p 6 times a month or so.

The other area in which my spending will be reduced is in the clubhouse. I am a man who has always been fond of a drop of wine, a beer or indeed a nice drop of malt. I will still use the clubhouse but rather than having a few, leaving the car and cabbing it there to grab it in the morning, I will have a bevvy before heading home.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I think the only thing I want to replace is the bag, which Santa should be bringing but the kit is newish and there is no need to replace it at this time of the first half of the year.

Since I am being made redundant in April (if I can not find another internal role) then who knows, it might come to the end of the road in terms of golf as the kit might need to go depending on when I can find work, but I very much dont think that would happen also I dont think the wife would want me in the house 24/7.

Apart from that nothing much has changed, I am learning to drive to by the end of the season I wont have to reply on £12 taxis for every round which will save me cash and enable me to play more at less cost.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mike, I have not read the above yet but I am hoping to use the credit crunch in my favour. My nearest and favourite course has had a 5 year waiting list all my adult life and I have never had a sniff at getting in but due to a number of existing members and proposed new members not taking or renewing their memberships it has opened the door for me should the payment options suit me.

Rock on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Cut backs will be made else where before they have to be made relating to golf.
Make the most of my membership,probably works out at a couple of quid a round so that will be paid up before xmas.
Not a huge gear monster but I am thinking of new irons,had the old ones 5 years so owe me nothing but going to wait until Jan hopefully for a bargain.
Flights booked for Portugal for a few days golf in June and will play a few localish open comps.
Its an addiction.....which needs fed

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am definitely benefiting from the crunch. I still live at home with no over heads though which is obviously a major factor in this. But I have the same amount of disposable income as I always did and prices across all sectors of the golfing market are dropping so happy days as far as I am concerned. Plus my yearly mag subscription is paid for by a relative as a christmas present each month, and I don't pay for my club membership either. That said I won't be buying much new kit next year as I nearly have everything I want / need now. All that is left on the list is a new driver, a new hybrid and 3 new wedges. Then I will be sorted. This is still going to cost me about £600 though!

Great idea for a feature in the mag though this, very relevant to many at the moment. Still nothing about GPS devices though- although I think most people on here have already been turned- partly by being told how great they are and partly by American Golfs Skycaddie offer- inevitably as a result of the aforementioned credit crunch!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am not sure what is happening with my golf fees as the rates for 2009/10 have yet to be published but with a dwindling membership another rise seems inevitable. However for the amount of time I am there either playing or practicing I still feel I'm getting value for money so will be renewing if domestic finances allow as my wife was made redundant this month. I think it makes better economic sense to take the one hit rather than pay the joining fees ALL the local clubs are still charging.

As an equipment junkie (a number of disused putters are staring at me as I type) there is no question that the bag set up will have to suffice until further notice unless which to be fair is no bad thing.

I am committed to at least another 5 lessons with my pro but have just negotiated a discounted rate partially based on my current financial plight and partly as a thank you for featurinf him in my last forum blog. I am now paying £33 per lesson down from £43. I have entered into a wager (more in separate posts) to reach single figures by September 30th and so the next batch of lessons will be on the scoring zones (chipping, pitching, putting and bunkers) with one lesson as a full swing refresher. After that I'll suck it and see but chances are I'd rather find the money for a lesson than new kit which in truth I probably don't need.

I don't subscribe to GM (shame on me!) or any other mags but I guess if things got that tight I'd leave Todays Golfer and just get GM and Golf World which seems a better read (but still not as good as GM). Sky and Setanta are staying for the choice of sport and also because the wife enjoys a number of the documentary and film channels Sky provide.

I have no plans to play any society events (other than the one at Royal Ascot) or visit any professional events. That said, I am always keen to play new courses but find it easier to play with forum members as a green fee than pay a society rate inclusive of food etc and a bar bill on top.

Whilst money is very very tight at present I am not destitute. My wife is very supportive towards my golfing activities and purchases (to a point) and realises it is my main release from the daily grind of modern living and so is keen for me to get out and playing as much as possible and encourages me to do so.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i have had to re-think on buying a new driver and my usual spur of the moment purchases will not be happening.
i have also had to speak with my club treasurer and work out a payment system because the current climate is forcing radical ways for me to play regular golf

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm fairly lucky at the moment because after 8 years or so of paying quite high CSA payments, they have recently reduced quite significantly because my eldest Son has just turned 19.
Still paying for my 17 year old daughter, but that will end too before much longer.
Mortgage has come down quite nicely as well with the reduction in interest rates.
Unfortunately the credit crunch has coincided with my renewed interest in everything golfing, and being a sucker I have spent quite a few bob on new bits of kit recently, and true to the saying "a fool and his money" I can honestly say none of it was actually essential. But the one good thing is that I've never really been a kit "snob" and have never really spent a fortune on gear. Where my golfing money goes is playing other courses. It's a habit I can't really seem to break and if the offer comes up to play a decent track that I haven't played before I will usually jump in with both feet without even weighing up the financial consequences. I'd hate to know how much I've spent over the years playing different courses...
But once again, I'm choosy on where I play. I haven't played Wentworth before, and at the green fees they charge have absolutely no intention of gracing their (or any other)overpriced fairways.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I won't cut back on anything golf related.

Membership will be renewed.
If i see something I fancy I will buy it.
Aim to play away more next year so if anything expenditure will be more.

May not change car next year unless something takes my fancy.
You only live once and can't take your money with you so what the hell.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Very lucky in that the credit crunch has had no effect thus far on my working or golfing life.

I don't have any major plans for new kit, though I was tempted by MP-52's on my last visit to the pro shop but as I would only be changing them because they are lovely and shiny I have resisted the temptation.

Club wise I haved saved the money for next years fee's, was considering changing clubs but they still have a high joining fee so may just stay for another year.

Good luck to all those that are affected one way or another by the stupidity of our banks and politicians.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was thinking about changing my irons but may put that on the long finger.

A bigger worry for some golfers over here is the news today that Luttrellstown Castle Golf Cub is closing at the end of 2009. So 400+ members are basically homeless.
The course was purchased by JP McManus & John Magnier in 2006 and refurbished last year at a cost of 20M euro.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
Certainly finding money a bit tighter not because the household income has changed but my share has.I had enough of the building trade (and my business partner)so left and now have a stress free job delivering laundry for 1/3 of the wage but hid has returned to work and now brings in a reasonable wage (but a lot less left in my pocket for spending as I please) I have decided after 25 years of match fishing that I am hanging my fishing boots up and going to concentrate on golf. This means I will be selling my fishing gear which will raise enough funds to service my kit and playing requirements for the coming year.
As we dont live a particularly extravagant lifestyle (cars always second hand, no foreign holidays hid doesnt do flying, nights in more often than out) so think golf will be far from affected.
I am secretly hoping that membership cost will fall and there will be greater competition amongst clubs to attract/keep members so I can take advantage of this.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
At this moment in time I am too drunk to care, please raid my bank account without a care in the world, I will hapily join all golf clubs that would have me.

Clansman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not cutting back as such.

Joing my first golf club this coming year with annual membership at £360 plus £50 joining fee paid over 6 months. It works out cheaper than p+p which i have done for the past few years. So I suppose I am cutting back in that respect.

Don't need to change Irons etc as I am happy with what I have.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not affecting my golf at all.

Then again, I've put £600 under the bed (in amongst my socks) for next years subs if it all goes base over apex.

So, if you want to burgle my house, you know where to look.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Good post Mike as you've just reminded me that my club subscription is due!!!

Renewing my subs for my club for sure. I put money away each month to cover it so always have the readies available when the subs are due.
Nothing much in the way of new gear required but could do with replacing my nasty 5 wood. I'll probably spend a few quid equipping my golfing wardrobe as it's seriously lacking through fair wear and tear.

I may cut back on range time next year purely as it's becoming a dearer way of spending an hour. I do find it useful though.

Don't worry about flagging GM sales Mike, I'll still be buying!

Fortunately the recession hasn't affected me so far, although it pains me to see the many job losses mentioned on tv and in the national and local press.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have any major plans for new kit, though I was tempted by MP-52's on my last visit to the pro shop but as I would only be changing them because they are lovely and shiny I have resisted the temptation.

I dare you to play a round with them and post that again! :D