How is Ready Golf going at your club?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst happily taken up by a lot of members we still have a lot of players who simply have not read the notices posted at various points in the club and we have some players who just refuse to follow the guidelines.

I reckon it's going to take some time to get all players following the guidelines and a lot of hard work from the rangers and committee members on the course.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i played with two other members today. one of them got a birdie and took forever to make his way to the tee and even longer to get ready. i teed off and he said "you had a birdie too then? “ i said " no mate. i just got pissed board of waiting for you" he hadn't read the ready golf email either

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've constantly enforced this for the last two or three seasons... standard procedure on the first tee for me is " ready golf lads, if honours are important be ready to take them "

We also play shortest hitter first so we don't have to wait for the hole to clear before the big hitters can go.

G

guest100718

im happy to stick with the usual furthest away goes first. No reason it should be any slower.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i played with two other members today. one of them got a birdie and took forever to make his way to the tee and even longer to get ready. i teed off and he said "you had a birdie too then? “ i said " no mate. i just got pissed board of waiting for you" he hadn't read the ready golf email either

Yup, this!

The only time it changes is in matchplay, and if the other player(s) are taking ages they will get a few " are we playing this match over two days " jokes too

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not to be honest. I suspect if I stood up in the club bar on competition day and asked who knew about it then there would be a lot of blank faces..

I saw a piece on sky by Andrew Coltart, I think it was him, about playing ready golf. Dreadful piece that did nothing to encourage it.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If ready golf is so important by the R&A and USGA then why isn't it happening on the tours?

It starts at the top!

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If ready golf is so important by the R&A and USGA then why isn't it happening on the tours?

It starts at the top!

To be fair to the R&A, they had Ready Golf in place today at the Amateur Championship at RSG/Prince's. Not seen any reports yet on whether or not it made any difference?

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't assume ready golf myself, was in a comp the other day and out of courtesy waited my turn to play. Until somebody turned round and said if your ready to play then play. But felt it almost rude to assume. Sort of didn't know where it would stand until mentioned. But do prefer the ready golf way.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We don't do ready golf other than on a very ad hoc basis during a friendly knock. No need or wish to make it the norm and it doesn't address the slow play issues - just like a sticky plaster over a festering sore.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't assume ready golf myself, was in a comp the other day and out of courtesy waited my turn to play. Until somebody turned round and said if your ready to play then play. But felt it almost rude to assume. Sort of didn't know where it would stand until mentioned. But do prefer the ready golf way.

Have to agree with that really. The guys I played with this past weekend all seemed prepared to play ready golf, but also nobody just strode forward and took their shot just because they were ready - we mostly waited for the guy whose turn it actually was to say 'you play if you're ready' as it feels more like the good-etiquette way to do it. Perhaps this will change over time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have to agree with that really. The guys I played with this past weekend all seemed prepared to play ready golf, but also nobody just strode forward and took their shot just because they were ready - we mostly waited for the guy whose turn it actually was to say 'you play if you're ready' as it feels more like the good-etiquette way to do it. Perhaps this will change over time.

Call me old-fashioned - but a recognition of this basic etiquette is quite important - not absolutely important - just quite important. I am not a fan of change for the convenience of some golfers, or where it is done to avoid having to deal with an underlying problem.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
My club and most membership know nothing about it.
First time I played with a group last week who had it nailed down. Was a pleasure.
At my old club it was automatic as common sense prevailed with that membership. Can't say the same about the committee though.

Personally find it difficult and slower to wait for people to play their shot. I'm always ready. My clubs out my bag before I've even got the ball or tee box.
I'm not rushing. I'm just ready... unless I'm eating or drinking.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite disappointing to read such resistance to ready golf.
If it's your honour on the tee, take it. Faffing about filling in your scorecard and expecting others to wait for you is poor etiquette, much worse than "shall I go then?"

Of course Ready Golf helps reduce slow play.
Either whoever is ready, takes their shot or preferably the person whose honour it is is READY and takes their shot.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We don't do ready golf other than on a very ad hoc basis during a friendly knock. No need or wish to make it the norm and it doesn't address the slow play issues - just like a sticky plaster over a festering sore.

I disagree, I see far too many times players all doing their score cards after they've walked off a green and arrive at the next tee, all standing there working out their scores when they could/should be teeing off as it's clear for them to do so.

Take your drive then whilst others are driving do your card then. 3 players standing doing bugger all on the tee block is annoying as it takes little time for the course behind to back up when this happens on a few holes.

I just say 'shall I go', I don't think it's rude or poor etiquette, it's common sense to keep moving which ready golf is all about, common sense.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned - but a recognition of this basic etiquette is quite important - not absolutely important - just quite important. I am not a fan of change for the convenience of some golfers, or where it is done to avoid having to deal with an underlying problem.

I can understand why it would be important to some players (& likely its a throwback to a bygone age when a lot less players going round)
I prefer ready golf though (& get others agreement early in the round that they are ok with it too) but will 'suspend' it and offer the tee whenever someone gets a birdie or the like (as recognition of the achievement)

But as a short hitter to have to wait for the guy who bogeyed the last to tee off, while he waits for the group ahead to clear 300 mtrs away, just because I got double bogey, kinda makes a mockery of recognizing his last hole achievement

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Quite disappointing to read such resistance to ready golf.
If it's your honour on the tee, take it. Faffing about filling in your scorecard and expecting others to wait for you is poor etiquette, much worse than "shall I go then?"

Of course Ready Golf helps reduce slow play.
Either whoever is ready, takes their shot or preferably the person whose honour it is is READY and takes their shot.

Spot on 👍