How good can your golf realistically get?

Trodski

Visit site
In golf clubs up and down the country there are stories of coulda, woulda, shoulda. I could be scratch, single figures, better than you but …..

Just interested to get some realism about what you think your glass ceiling actually is, given time commitments, kids, not being able to practice, can’t afford to have 10 lessons a year etc. ?

I’ll start; HI 8.3, generally in the 80-85 range. Have I got a 77 in me, yes. Can I do this consistently, no. I practice in the winter but unlikely too in the summer as I play twice a week.
I think I could maybe get down to 6 without some major swing changes but I don’t hold any illusions about heading towards the promised land.

What’s your realistic best handicap index you could achieve?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't have a handicap. I track it via a (reasonably well put together, if I do say so myself) spreadsheet. Currently have an index sitting at 21.1.
My short term goal is consistent bogey golf. longer term, I feel that 14 is get-able.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Guess it depends where you play as well.
My best score last year was a 79, but I only played maybe a dozen to 15 times playing with the society.

Back in the UK when I was a member (at quite a difficult course), I think I only broke 90 once despite playing at least once a week on average.

Id I had enough time an money to play, practice and have lessons at will - I'd like to think I could get down to high single figures.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always believed the best I'd get to would be about 12 handicap. Based on the fact I don't practise (other than playing), and I'm not a big hitter either (230 ish average drive). But for the last couple of months my scores look to have turned a corner, I've broken 80 for the first time but then followed that by breaking 80 a couple more times, and even managed a 7 over par 76. I put this down to playing 2-3 times a week instead of once, since my wife took up the game we've been playing short courses on Sundays as well which has obviously helped my short game and so on.

So now I feel I should be able to reach my original goal of 12, but I'm also reassessing what might be possible in the long run. I think 10 might be achievable but single figures possibly a bridge too far.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Current HI 14.5 Given that I'm a short hitter and at retirement age I suspect that my achievable limit is not very low but I'm giving it a go and my handicap is currently going in the right direction.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d like to think I can get to the point where I am consistently shooting in the mid to high 70s. So about a 5 index. I don’t have the time to practice to go beyond that.

I’ve been stuck shooting in the 80s until last week and have had 2 rounds now in the 70s so there is hope.

My aim for the year is to go under par for 9 holes.

To get down any further I’d need to add distance off the tee, which isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
my best competition score is 7 over, my index is 9.4 and sadly I think i will struggle to better it, my long game is fine but I cannot putt with any consistency despite countless lessons and practice. If there was a magic putting bullet I could probably get down to 5. I also have age against me so I am probably at my best level right now .

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Age will stop me getting lower than 4.5 which was my best a couple of years back. I achieved my goal of reaching the old Category 1. I am happy.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id say about 10/12 probably

Need to eradicate a lot of bad shots for that to be achieved but its possible.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been hovering on 10.x for the last few months, one good round away from my long held target of single figures. It's definitely achievable.

I think with lessons to eliminate my occasional destructive pull left I could maintain 9. Retiring last year and playing 3 times a week has helped. If I add short game practice who knows?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My average handicap was generally from 11 to 13 for many years, under the new system it is now 16.3 (hi) I still reckon I could get back to 12. I've worked a lot on my short game and putting this year, and that's improved big time so I feel I've just got to get driving, iron play and the short game to behave on a given day and I could shoot a decent round. In mid February I played our back 9 and par'd every hole so I definitely have it in me to put a round together.

peld

Visit site
im 12.5 HCI and i'd like to get to sub 9.5, which i think is very achievable if i can sort some consistency over several rounds, and not putt like an idiot.

That being said, actually playing enough counting rounds is probably another challenge!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I've always believed the best I'd get to would be about 12 handicap. Based on the fact I don't practise (other than playing), and I'm not a big hitter either (230 ish average drive). But for the last couple of months my scores look to have turned a corner, I've broken 80 for the first time but then followed that by breaking 80 a couple more times, and even managed a 7 over par 76. I put this down to playing 2-3 times a week instead of once, since my wife took up the game we've been playing short courses on Sundays as well which has obviously helped my short game and so on.

So now I feel I should be able to reach my original goal of 12, but I'm also reassessing what might be possible in the long run. I think 10 might be achievable but single figures possibly a bridge too far.

If you’re breaking 80 you’ll end up single figures at some point

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
How good could it become? A lot better. I can hit the shots needed to get round my club under par, and sometimes I hit one or more of those shots in a round, but I never manage to hit them all.

I have been playing for 40 years, and currently have a HI of 7.5. I played off 8 or 9 for years under CONGU, which I think was marginally better playing.

I played on Saturday and was out in 1 over par, could have been better, but threw away shots like confetti on the back, could have been 7 or 8 less. Ended up with 35 points, should have been at least 40.

So, I can certainly still get better with more consistency and fewer stupid mistakes.

Once I reach the point I don't think I can get better, I will give up. Watch the For Sale section for further details!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you’re breaking 80 you’ll end up single figures at some point
Well, not necessarily, my course is playing at a par 68 at the moment as one of the par 4s has had to be shortened to a par 3. So probably only if I get to the point of consistently breaking 80 with a few 75-76s thrown in. Even the 78 I got recently went down as a score differential of 12.1 (it was off the yellows though).

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I would like to think could get to plus figures, my index is currently 0.4 down from 2.6 earlier this year with the help of half a dozen lessons & plenty of range practice. If I spent more time on my short game I think +1 or maybe +2 could be achievable but we don't have the best short game practice area & I generally just play golf rather than practice. Also my course is not the easiest to get a low handicap on with only 1 par 5 & very undulating greens.