How far do you hit your PW?

D

Deleted member 15344

It is though in reality, nothing changes in the grand scheme of things whether team a or b wins, nothing changes whether someone hits a club x amount of yards. Winning is all that matters in golf aswell in reality, 2nd place is just the first loser

Things do change if a club wins - they win, that’s a change , they get a trophy , they get money , etc etc

How is that in anyway comparable to jacked up lofts or what club someone hits a shot with ?!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Things do change if a club wins - they win, that’s a change , they get a trophy , they get money , etc etc

How is that in anyway comparable to jacked up lofts or what club someone hits a shot with ?!
point is it only matters to someone who actually cares, if you care about football it will matter same as if you care about how far you hit the ball it will matter. To everyone else it doesnt. Point I'm making is it actually changes nothing on this planet win either case, it only matters to people who care about that particular thing

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve not read all the pages, and although I know it wasn’t the main purpose of the OP, but I’m not into Willy Waving, I couldn’t care less how far other people hit their p/w, or any club, my clubs could have A,B,C on them for all I care, as the only thing that matters to me, is that I know how far each of my clubs will go, other than that I don’t care what degree any particular club is, as long as I’ve got 13 with the right gaps.

I always laugh when the macho talk starts on the tee of a par 3, it usually starts with

‘what you taking, me too, a 9i is enough’

This will be to a 140yd plus flag, I then watch them both be short or in the bunkers, I then pull out my 7i and hit the green, so it matters not a jot imo.

By the way, my p/w is 90/100 hit correctly, or 140 if thinned or 60 if fatted ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By the way, my p/w is 90/100 hit correctly, or 140 if thinned or 60 if fatted ?
Crikey I have not measured my thinned distances .. fatted ones don’t go that far! A proper fatted shot should travel less than the divot.
Dave P only needs to advocate measuring your thin shots and we will only need 8 irons or less

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When they still cant beat you though it does annoy them ? I dont care what clubs people hit but I'll let them know when I'm hitting 6 into par 5 and they've hit a rescue or even a 3 wood ? wind up, reel them in

What winds them up even more is when I need 3 x 3W's into a par 5 and a PW onto the green and 2 putts... and still win the hole :sneaky:

edit: oops PW distance is about 93yrds (I could make it go further but whats the point)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a self-confessed short hitter and will usually take one more club than my PP's, sometimes two. I don't care. I know my limitations and ability and try and construct a score around that. I don't care what anyone else hits as I have no control over that so why let it bother me

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's not so much about what other people hit, it is more about conning the less informed into buying new clubs that are in essence no better than their current set, just numbered differently.

I guess you could argue that the uninformed are there to be mugged off, as that is their purpose in life.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve always assumed that the biggest aversion to the lofts being strengthened/hitting further etc is that the gap created is left for the customer to fill with an additional club to purchase. And some of the manufactures didn’t help the situation by openly laughing at the gullibility of joe public by calling it a ‘gap wedge’, stamping a ‘G’ on the sole and slapping an 80 quid sticker on it

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why is the focus always on the strong lofts?

What about the differences in weighting, shaft length, head size, sweet spot location and size etc..

The conversations always act as if it's a like for like comparison with the only thing different being loft. Usually, these sets have a wedge with traditional 8i loft, but a wedge shaft length and a head designed to be more forgiving. This combination likely means the club goes the distance of a traditional 8/9i but still with the dispersion of a wedge. If the only difference was the loft, dispersion would likely be more impacted too. If technology allows people to improve distance whilst retaining dispersion, I don't see it as "a con" or a big issue.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why is the focus always on the strong lofts?

What about the differences in weighting, shaft length, head size, sweet spot location and size etc..

The conversations always act as if it's a like for like comparison with the only thing different being loft. Usually, these sets have a wedge with traditional 8i loft, but a wedge shaft length and a head designed to be more forgiving. This combination likely means the club goes the distance of a traditional 8/9i but still with the dispersion of a wedge. If the only difference was the loft, dispersion would likely be more impacted too. If technology allows people to improve distance whilst retaining dispersion, I don't see it as "a con" or a big issue.
Not sure that this is the case, as more loft means more spin in the x axis and less spin in the y axis I think (please correct this if I'm wrong). This is why lofting up a driver reduces slice/draw spin. So a lower lofted pitching wedge might slice like an 8 iron.
So more dispersion, not less perhaps...

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure that this is the case, as more loft means more spin in the x axis and less spin in the y axis I think (please correct this if I'm wrong). This is why lofting up a driver reduces slice/draw spin. So a lower lofted pitching wedge might slice like an 8 iron.

This is kind of my point, with the same club with only loft changed then yes, but the shorter shaft makes it easier to control path and face, and the head design with, longer blade length, perimeter weighting, more offset etc... negates some of the potential sidespin from decreased loft.
As an example consider a 10* driver, if the loft remains constant do you get the same forgiveness from 1970's persimmon, 1990s steel and 2020's 460cc titanium? What would you feel more comfortable hitting a 12* original Taylormade steel burner or a 9* Taylormade SIM?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve always assumed that the biggest aversion to the lofts being strengthened/hitting further etc is that the gap created is left for the customer to fill with an additional club to purchase. And some of the manufactures didn’t help the situation by openly laughing at the gullibility of joe public by calling it a ‘gap wedge’, stamping a ‘G’ on the sole and slapping an 80 quid sticker on it
The lack of need to buy long irons as 3/4 iron now are redundant.
This offsets the cost of the gap wedge.
Clubs are just stupid prices now anyway.

D

Deleted member 1147

It will have a shorter shaft, so less side spin should be imparted

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, this. I agree that it doesn't matter what they stamp on the club and it only matters that you know how far you hit them. But, people are getting less irons in their iron sets for their money. Irons sets that used to be 3 to PW + SW are now 5 to PW + SW so you get two less irons at the top, plus there's a huge gap between the P and S that needs filling as well, so technically three additional clubs you need to buy and more expense. And that iron set costs twice as much in the first place.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It will have a shorter shaft, so less side spin should be imparted
Given that spin is produced by a combination of face angle(s) and path, I'm not sure that the shaft length will make that much difference. There must be some scientists on here who can explain it....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given that spin is produced by a combination of face angle(s) and path, I'm not sure that the shaft length will make that much difference. There must be some scientists on here who can explain it....
The shorter the shaft the closer you are to the ball .
There is less chance of side spin as the backspin overrides the side spin..
Most people swing more down the line with a shorter shaft and not across .
Although one lad I play with can fade his wedges.

sunshine

Visit site
The shorter the shaft the closer you are to the ball .
There is less chance of side spin as the backspin overrides the side spin..
Most people swing more down the line with a shorter shaft and not across .
Although one lad I play with can fade his wedges.

A shorter shaft doesn't generate more back spin :unsure:

sunshine

Visit site
It is though in reality, nothing changes in the grand scheme of things whether team a or b wins, nothing changes whether someone hits a club x amount of yards. Winning is all that matters in golf aswell in reality, 2nd place is just the first loser

Reel him in :ROFLMAO: