How far do you hit your PW?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed. But they work too well in my experience.

As another poster noted above his average was 134 - which consisted of a 113, 140 and 150. ..

All shots are subject to strike. That 113 should be taken out. Clearly not a big enough sample to get a proper average. Its average of decent shots. A duff wont help the numbers.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hit my PW around 90 yards, seems I need to get to the gym :cool:

Not if you are 10 foot from the pin with every shot.:unsure:

These kind of threads crack me up.
It does not matter how far you can hit any club, it is how much control you have on the shot and how close to the green/pin you can get the ball.
Hitting a 60 degree wedge 100 yards is not great if the ball lands in a bunker or OOB on most occasions.:unsure:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All shots are subject to strike. That 113 should be taken out. Clearly not a big enough sample to get a proper average. Its average of decent shots. A duff wont help the numbers.

Agree completely, like I say not my numbers! I guess when I think back to when I started and my G15s I visited most of the clubface in a round. I had no idea what my true carry was because I wasn't consistent enough to judge it. I tried the JPX Hot Metals and was frightened by the difference between middling it and not. True the toey ones still went a decent distance, maybe 80%, but the middled ones soared. I don't think I could ever control that. Horses for courses though, and if a 38 degree hot pitching wedge increases your enjoyment for the game fill your boots, it doesn't interest me in the least when someone declares what club they've just hit it has no bearing on my decisions!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
My first set didn't have a matching pitching wedge, but these were the lofts in 1961:
2-iron_____20º
3-iron_____24º
4-iron_____28º
5-iron_____32º
6-iron_____36º
7-iron_____40º
8-iron_____44º
9-iron_____48º

Set didn't come with a wedge, but today, the last three clubs would have been stamped as wedges.
I bought separate, non-matching 53º and 57º clubs, the latter with an oval face, to go with the irons.

While I hate the modern, jacked lofts, I do think the modern incremental spacing is valid:
3º in the longer clubs,
4º in the middle ones,
and 5º in the short ones.

For many and probably most, that results in better gapping than a linear 4º from top to bottom.

Wolf

Visit site
Why does it matter how far you hit your PW or what degree of loft it has. As long as you can hit a club in your bag to the number your aiming for. How far you hit means nothing at all, the score on the card after 18 holes is the only thing that matters.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Why does it matter how far you hit your PW or what degree of loft it has. As long as you can hit a club in your bag to the number your aiming for. How far you hit means nothing at all, the score on the card after 18 holes is the only thing that matters.

As stated in an earlier post, the distance question was a rhetorical one.

The degree of loft matters to some and not to others, my first post was to bring to notice that a 38 degree pitching wedge had arrived.

You say that the score on the card after 18 holes is the only thing that matters, for most of us recreational golfers I'd disagree.
As per my signature "It's not all about the score". ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is it exactly ... I carry 8 wedges and 4 mallets on different length handles they are matched to 10 yards between each and that closes down to 5 yards for 3/4 shots .. then the rest I make up as I go along or at the distance I find the ball. The key is to hit all your wedges and mallets as cleanly as possible.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Why does it matter what football team wins ? In reality it doesnt. Everyone likes to brag they are the quickest strongest etc I quite often wind guys I play with up by hitting a 3 iron as hard as I can level with their drives

Wolf

Visit site
Why does it matter what football team wins ? In reality it doesnt. Everyone likes to brag they are the quickest strongest etc I quite often wind guys I play with up by hitting a 3 iron as hard as I can level with their drives
Good for you and your ego. Wouldn't bother me if you smashed a 6 iron further than my driver because im not bothered by what anyone else hits. Golf is about shooting your best score whilst trying to enjoy the game as much as you can.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know a young lad who has 3 yardages written on the back of his short clubs in marker pen... for 100%/75% and 50% swing! He'll be "laser-ing" his putts next! :ROFLMAO:
As 'recommended' by Dave Peltz (well, not the lasering putts bit. And for his 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30) swings) in his 'Short Game Bible'.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Good for you and your ego. Wouldn't bother me if you smashed a 6 iron further than my driver because im not bothered by what anyone else hits. Golf is about shooting your best score whilst trying to enjoy the game as much as you can.
When they still cant beat you though it does annoy them ? I dont care what clubs people hit but I'll let them know when I'm hitting 6 into par 5 and they've hit a rescue or even a 3 wood ? wind up, reel them in

Wolf

Visit site
When they still cant beat you though it does annoy them ? I dont care what clubs people hit but I'll let them know when I'm hitting 6 into par 5 and they've hit a rescue or even a 3 wood ? wind up, reel them in
As I said all about Ego... Good for you glad it keeps you happy.

D

Deleted member 15344

That comparison doesn’t really work does it any way - a football team winning is about winning , that’s the sport

Golf it’s putting the ball in the hole - boasting is nothing about the game and more about the person

do you win something different if your 7 iron goes the same distance as someone’s 5 irons ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
That comparison doesn’t really work does it any way - a football team winning is about winning , that’s the sport

Golf it’s putting the ball in the hole - boasting is nothing about the game and more about the person

do you win something different if your 7 iron goes the same distance as someone’s 5 irons ?
It is though in reality, nothing changes in the grand scheme of things whether team a or b wins, nothing changes whether someone hits a club x amount of yards. Winning is all that matters in golf aswell in reality, 2nd place is just the first loser