How do you plan to improve?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yup, I can nail 3 wood off a mat pretty much every shot, off grass its a different matter! I need a range off grass with slightly differing lengths, nail them off that after a while and the course would be a doddle :p

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree totally with the balance between the two. I just think that people trying to get better spend too much time practicing hitting balls rather than going out and hitting proper shots that mean something. In sport you need to put yourself out of your comfort zone and under pressure to improve imo.

I always think the range is great for grooving your swing. One thing the range is not able to do though. I have never stood on the range, ball above my feet on a tight lie, 200 yards to go, big deep bunker to the left, OOB to the right and needing to make par. Or if you did you would not be that worried if you did cock it up as it does not matter.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you are going to practice then you must include on course practice. i very rarely waste any golf balls at the range hitting less then 100 yards. ill often have a ping at the 100 yard marker but any closer than that i like to be on the course.

1. because im a tight wad
2. you get to see how the ball is reacting on the green.
3. its easy to stand on a range and ping a target over and over once you have it dialed it. when you are on the course you can hit 2. move a bit, slightly change the angle and or distance etc.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm undergoing a series of lessons. Just completed lesson 2 of a block of 5.

Swing feels much improved so far :) .

I love to practice, so I feel safe in the knowledge that I'm practicing the right things as evidenced by the drills given to me by my pro.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Occasional lessons

Practise short game and putting more than wacking drivers

Use of my new 3bays GSA and videoing the swing regularly

Forcing myself to take more club and hitting easy

Get fitter and lose some excess pounds

That should take a fortnight then. :whoo:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Occasional lessons

Practise short game and putting more than wacking drivers

Use of my new 3bays GSA and videoing the swing regularly

Forcing myself to take enough club and hitting normally

Get fitter and lose some excess pounds

That should take a fortnight then. :whoo:

Fixed :p

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons as often as I can afford or need, plenty of range and course practice and playing as often as I can. Our conservatory is quite large and can take a full swing with a mid iron so have been using that with a mat to try and get a swing with no thoughts. Chipping practice in the garden in those stolen ten minutes or so through the day.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with chrisd and justone forget smacking hundreds of balls down the range all the time.
Spend time on your short game, pitching , chipping and putting are where you score the most so
spend plenty off time on them.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm stuck on my hcp playing bogey golf with 2 or three pars per round to get me in buffer.
I'm maxed out on length and can't reach quite a few greens in regulation, so I need to focus on pitching and chipping them close to make more pars.
Short game area at my course isn't great for practising those so i'm going to try the public one down the road that has a better chipping green.
The v-easy is going to get some use this spring!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Did some chipping practice yesterday backwards and forwards with 20 balls then did the "these ones count" from 40yds..

Stone dead - 4
3-6ft - 9
6-12ft - 4
12-16ft - 2
16-20ft - 1

I'll take that....... work in progress though.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice work JO! my scoring will tumble if i get my sub 100 yards game up to scratch. quite simply, need to get on the practice ground and the putting green and get to work!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
for me its taking a camera down to the range to check i'm not falling into bad habits.

After swinging for over 10 years with a chronic over the top notion and bad posture i keep slipping back into it.

Normally at the start of my range session my swing looks horrible at the end its where i want it to be and i'm hitting the ball well.

I just need to grove it.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I might improve over the next 12 months if the course is ever playable :(

True dat!! Most of the rounds I've played this year have been crazy golf. Windy, freezing, snowing, raining, meaning your all wrapped up and your swing is restricted. I hate the driving range and Winter golf doesn't do much to help your game. I'm well behind last years schedule.

I do plan to practice chipping putting far more this year though